The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ??????????????????
Well I started watching Darker than Black. Is it good or should I stop and find something else?

I watched the first season on Youtube (I think), it's worth watching :wink:
Original post by Stormwhite
Err...hi guys? Thought I'd join, seeing as I haven't yet.

What's everyone watching this season? All I've picked up are Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai II and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. Oh, and the Ore no Imouto "True End". Might pick up Ao no Exorcist when it gets to a mildly decent part of the manga.

Hello again. :biggrin:

What am I not watching would be an easier question. :p: So far (in rough order of greatness, starting with the ones I like most): Steins;Gate, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Kaiji 2, Maria+Holic Alive, Deadman Wonderland, C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, Hana-Saku Iroha, Nichijou, Tiger & Bunny, Seikon no Qwaser II, Hyouge Mono, Toriko, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Dog Days, X-Men.
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Hello again. :biggrin:

What am I not watching would be an easier question. :p: So far (in rough order of greatness, starting with the ones I like most): Steins;Gate, Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, Kaiji 2, Maria+Holic Alive, Deadman Wonderland, C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, Hana-Saku Iroha, Nichijou, Tiger & Bunny, Seikon no Qwaser II, Hyouge Mono, Toriko, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Dog Days, X-Men.

See, I don't have the time (or hard drive space) to watch that many :P

You haven't picked up Kami Nomi?
Original post by Aiko
Regarding One Piece, or any long-running anime, I've never been put off by length. For instance, I've managed to reach episode 60 of DB Kai in a matter of days (specifically, three). Of course, I acknowledge that just because I can devote an entire day to watching an anime doesn't mean that everybody has the same stamina. That, and I tend to watch anime while doing something else, which is a bit more difficult for those who rely on subtitles. So, in essence, if we consider how quickly I've watched DB Kai, I can imagine getting through the entirety of One Piece in a few months, and this is assuming I only watch it during the weekend.

Additionally, rather than putting me off, I'd rejoice in the fact that there's over 400 episodes of an anime that I'm enjoying. I've never understood the mindset that because there's a lot of episodes to get through, you'd rather not watch it... Just watch at your own pace and enjoy it. There's no time limit or requirement to finish it quickly.

I was watching One Piece daily until I got halfway through the Skypeia arc. Then it just got boring all of a sudden :lolwut: It just felt like it was dragging on, and knowing exactly what was going to happen didn't really help...

I think I prefer shorter anime now anyway, things like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and even Gungrave was short to me, especially compared to the likes of Naruto and One Piece...
Reply 684
Original post by hxecute
I was watching One Piece daily until I got halfway through the Skypeia arc. Then it just got boring all of a sudden :lolwut: It just felt like it was dragging on, and knowing exactly what was going to happen didn't really help...

I think I prefer shorter anime now anyway, things like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and even Gungrave was short to me, especially compared to the likes of Naruto and One Piece...

aww man but water 7 arc was right after Skypia! Which is possibly the best arc I've ever seen in any long running anime :smile:
Original post by Stormwhite
You haven't picked up Kami Nomi?

I saw the first series, and while I liked it (particularly the main character) I found it got a bit repetitive towards the end. Chances are I'll pick up series 2 somewhen after it has finished airing, but in a season with this many awesome shows it didn't stand out enough to warrant watching weekly.
Reply 686
Original post by hxecute

One Piece is one of the few long running shounen series that has managed to maintain its momentum for as long as it has. This is mainly because each arc offers enough diversity to remain fresh and interesting. I would recommend to reconsider watching the series if you have the chance. :smile:

I'm not suggesting that shorter anime are worse or that equally longer anime are better, merely that one shouldn't decide against watching an anime due to its length. :smile:
Reply 687
Meh, finding the time to download and the disk space to keep a long series were always the main factors putting me off them in the past. That, and the fact that I could have watched 20-40 shorter series in the same amount of time as One Piece, which I felt would offer a greater variety than 100s of episodes of the same thing.

:ditto:

Outside of the various new seasons, I've been playing catch up :nyoron: I still have quite a few DVDs to watch, as well as a hard drive of stuff. I still haven't started the chobits DVD boxset that I bought in 2007 (Or the Noein set I got for my first birthday at Uni, which spent two years under my bed as a "to watch at some point this term" show :giggle: )

Plus my first laptop had an awe inspiring 80gb hdd :borat:

Outside of EoE I've yet to rewatch anything save for catching parts of Ghibli films on film4, as I have too much new stuff :desu:
Reply 688
Meh, finding the time to download and the disk space to keep a long series were always the main factors putting me off them in the past. That, and the fact that I could have watched 20-40 shorter series in the same amount of time as One Piece, which I felt would offer a greater variety than 100s of episodes of the same thing. Since my sister is the opposite, putting most of her time and disk space into few, long running series, it was the fact I could easily get the first ~350 eps of One Piece from her that convinced me to pick it up in the end, and even then I had to accept the fact I'd have to delete the episodes as I finished them to make space for more.

In terms of variation, I'll certainly admit that One Piece's arcs have offered plenty of that within one series, so I'm no longer worried about that. For me its still the thought of getting hold of these series that puts me off, though I have downloaded a couple of 100 ep series myself this year, which is progress I suppose. :p: I'm also willing to take them from other people (as I did with D.Gray-Man) whenever possible.

Obviously, if you're unable to obtain the anime in question, whether due to your internet connection or restricted hard disk space, then that's another matter entirely.

As for diversity, my point remains that there's no rush to watch an anime like One Piece. Watch as much or as little as you like. If you want to watch another anime, by all means, don't feel obliged to stick with One Piece exclusively. However, if you're going to choose against watching an anime due to its length, that's unfortunate because you'll be missing out on a vast array of excellent series this way. Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not referring to you specifically when I say this. :tongue:
Original post by hxecute

I recommend watching the Water 7 and Enies Lobby arcs which come after Skypeia, you'll be drawn back into it :wink:

I recently picked up Ao no Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland (both anime and manga), pretty good tbh.
Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining.

Finally watched an episode from this season, C: the money of soul and possibility
Tbh, the opening and ending were very bland. And I didn't see many characters aside from the long-hair-suit guy with his succubus and kimimaro, also with his succubus, if any. Hopefully this is not the case with the series?

The story is very intriguing, similar to eden of the east(hopefully without the repetitive amnesia) although the artwork is not very satisfying

Original post by gildartz
I recommend watching the Water 7 and Enies Lobby arcs which come after Skypeia, you'll be drawn back into it :wink:

But One Piece anime sometimes have fillers that actually don't match with the story line of the manga :frown: like how zoro had fought a dragon before thriller bark arc in anime while in the manga zoro said that he didn't believe that dragons exist(thriller bark arc, while fighting against brooke's shadow)
well its very minor and maybe it's just me :redface:
Original post by gandhistoto
Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining.

Finally watched an episode from this season, C: the money of soul and possibility
Tbh, the opening and ending were very bland. And I didn't see many characters aside from the long-hair-suit guy with his succubus and kimimaro, also with his succubus, if any. Hopefully this is not the case with the series?

The story is very intriguing, similar to eden of the east(hopefully without the repetitive amnesia) although the artwork is not very satisfying

But One Piece anime sometimes have fillers that actually don't match with the story line of the manga :frown: like how zoro had fought a dragon before thriller bark arc in anime while in the manga zoro said that he didn't believe that dragons exist(thriller bark arc, while fighting against brooke's shadow)
well its very minor and maybe it's just me :redface:

As with any long series which catches up with the manga, you need fillers unfortunately, but I usually skip them since it can sometimes be pretty ridiculous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 692
Ah, I can't get into Ao No Exorcist.

I picked up the manga a month ago and it's too fresh in my mind for me to enjoy the anime much. I'm someone who takes joy in the progression of the story regardless of medium which is probably why I don't watch too many anime adaptations of things I've read recently. Steins;Gate being the exception because while I know the major points, there's a lot in between the gaps I need to fill in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 693
Managed to make a bit of a headway into the new season today, watching episode 3 of deadman wonderland, Hidan no Aria, Sengoku otome and Dog days. And 13+14 of Gosick.

Then took a break from new shows to watch the first five episodes of Kuragehime (just finished). Quite a nice show so far, amusing and interesting :yes:
just watched ep 2 and 3 of Ano Hana :love: i love this show :cute:
Reply 695
I like the setting of tiger and bunny its a nice looking city, like a futuristic version of a real one where spider man would hang around :yes:
Reply 696
Could someone give me some good suggestions on anime movies please. I've been more into movies than series lately as I don't have enough time to watch series lately. I've watched all the Bleach andNaruto movies ,a few Studio Gibly though there are a few I have missed, one One Piece (the newest), the evangelion movies, the Eden of East Moive and that's all I can remember. I would preferably rather ones which dubs have been released for not that I like dubs it's just really difficult to draw and read at the same time. But if you think a movie is really good and hasn't been dubbed I'll be happy any way :h:
Reply 697
Original post by vin
I like the setting of tiger and bunny its a nice looking city, like a futuristic version of a real one where spider man would hang around :yes:

I was just coming in here to mention that :mmm:

Having initially skipped over it, yesterday I decided I'd try it, and I've just watched the first two episodes (about to watch number three). Enjoying it quite a bit so far :yes:

Also with regards to the sponsorship logos, I have a couple of anime figures from the figuarts line that is advertised on one of his shoulder pads :teehee:
Reply 698
Original post by Truered

some cinemas in the UK wont let adults see the 3D yu gi oh film unless they're with a child under 12 :mmm:
Original post by Truered
I was just coming in here to mention that :mmm:

Having initially skipped over it, yesterday I decided I'd try it, and I've just watched the first two episodes (about to watch number three). Enjoying it quite a bit so far :yes:

Also with regards to the sponsorship logos, I have a couple of anime figures from the figuarts line that is advertised on one of his shoulder pads :teehee:

why make up companies when you can get actual ones to pay you for real sponsorship that looks better then made up ones like sorny :yes:
Reply 699
Original post by JWH
Could someone give me some good suggestions on anime movies please. I've been more into movies than series lately as I don't have enough time to watch series lately. I've watched all the Bleach andNaruto movies ,a few Studio Gibly though there are a few I have missed, one One Piece (the newest), the evangelion movies, the Eden of East Moive and that's all I can remember. I would preferably rather ones which dubs have been released for not that I like dubs it's just really difficult to draw and read at the same time. But if you think a movie is really good and hasn't been dubbed I'll be happy any way :h:

I don't watch dubs so can only give you a list of stuff that's licensed & I've seen.

Anything Ghibli - they're all worth watching & have good dubs
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Millenium Actress
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
Ghost in the Shell
Blood the Last Vampire
Akira
Dead Leaves

Latest