The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Newcastle Uni- 'Rah' infested?

Heard a lot of talk about Newcastle basically being full of rah's, any truth in this? Really hope not, can't stand them! haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JackT180
Heard a lot of talk about Newcastle basically being full of rah's, any truth in this? Really hope not, can't stand them! haha

whats a rah
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by sucess
whats a rah

Basically posh, spoilt snobs who are only there because of Daddy's bank account
Reply 3

As far as I can tell, there are quite a few rahs but I would imagine they're quite easy to avoid if you stick to making friends with non-rahs :smile:
Reply 4

Yes, I've found there's two types though. One type are the genuinely nice ones that are willing to integrate and become your friend. Then there's the other type, the ones that walk around with their noses in the air, thinking they're God's gift, wearing a combination of a bodywarmer, shorts and flip flops, even in the middle of Decemeber.

It's up to you who you want to hang around with though, there's certainly more non-rahs than there are rahs at Newcastle and no one's going to force you to make friends with people you don't like. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hmm. I can deal with posh and spoilt.
It just depends on their attitude towards people with less money.
If you're one of those jealous people that dislikes people for their money then you're just as bad as them, right?
Reply 6
I went to an exam at Castle Leazes (rah halls of choice) and there was 2 pheasants hanging out of a window. True story.

There's alot of rah's but there's alot of normal people too.
Reply 7
Original post by JamieEclipse
Hmm. I can deal with posh and spoilt.
It just depends on their attitude towards people with less money.
If you're one of those jealous people that dislikes people for their money then you're just as bad as them, right?

Nooo not at all, maybe i come across wrong on the original post, i have nothing against people with money at all, not in the slightest, rather what you have mentioned yourself, its more about their attitude towards those with less money which is the thing that i resent
Reply 8
Basically posh, spoilt snobs who are only there because of Daddy's bank account

They did still get the grades
Nooo not at all, maybe i come across wrong on the original post, i have nothing against people with money at all, not in the slightest, rather what you have mentioned yourself, its more about their attitude towards those with less money which is the thing that i resent

Oh yeah I know. I was just saying man :smile:
AS WITH EVERY UNIVERSITY, NO MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.

I have to say these "is X university full of rahs?" threads are annoying me rather now. Firstly, it changes year on year, obviously, and secondly even if there are, you don't have to hang around with them.
Princess Eugenie goes there so .... hahaha but having said that she could be an anomaly, but it does give the impression that the uni might have a fair few rahs
I can't imagine Newcastle being a big attraction for wealthy middle-class students although their Medicine degree is highly prestigious and attracts a lot of rejected oxbridge applicants. I would think the other top North-East uni, Durham would be more middle class.
Reply 13
Original post by Rascacielos

I have to say these "is X university full of rahs?" threads are annoying me rather now. Firstly, it changes year on year, obviously, and secondly even if there are, you don't have to hang around with them.

This!
Reply 14
Newcastle uni is RIDICULOUSLY rah! I've been lucky enough to be on a course without too many rahs, and it is possible to make non-rah friends! People in ex poly unis like hallam or northumbria tend to be more down to earth, but I guess there's that matter of getting a JOB!

Don't let it put you off newcastle, its a great place to study
shoot me now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cR1I6zUGo

^^ They speak for themselves.
(edited 12 years ago)

Thirdly, we wouldn't particularly like it if they all started calling us 'scummers' or similar and constantly mocked us and didn't want to talk to us 'cause of our families wealth and continuously made threads about how they don't want to be near us because even though they don't know us, we're clearly all bad people.
Original post by salty_candy
Thirdly, we wouldn't particularly like it if they all started calling us 'scummers' or similar and constantly mocked us and didn't want to talk to us 'cause of our families wealth and continuously made threads about how they don't want to be near us because even though they don't know us, we're clearly all bad people.

Exactly.

Blimey, it's almost as if wealth/education makes you a whole new species.
Reply 18
Original post by hedfunk
I went to an exam at Castle Leazes (rah halls of choice) and there was 2 pheasants hanging out of a window. True story.

Pheasents? Not Peasents?

That wasn't funny....

AS WITH EVERY UNIVERSITY, NO MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE..

Not really, some universities do attract a higher middle and upper class intake than other universities. This is fact.

But, yes, it is a university of about 20,000 students or more? You'll find variety at pretty much any university and Newcastle is no exception.

Original post by TheFoxBlip
I can't imagine Newcastle being a big attraction for wealthy middle-class students although their Medicine degree is highly prestigious and attracts a lot of rejected oxbridge applicants. I would think the other top North-East uni, Durham would be more middle class.

Durham is very middle class, but this doesn't mean to say that Newcastle isn't either.

Newcastle does have one of the highest independent school intakes of all Russell Group universities, with a certain number of these classed as being "Rah". It was the most popular university for Harrowians. I think it's third now. Its popularity can be explained by a number of reasons, yes its medical school, but also its strong history of art course (typically upper class subject) and the attractiveness and party reputation of the city. And its campus looks like part of Harrow :p:
Reply 19

This would be true if not for the fact that Newcastle uni is FULL of rahs, without trying to sound like too much of a dick it seems like it is the southerners who come up here and mingle with the other rahs in Jesmond and on Osbourne road. It really is horrible :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending