The Student Room Group

Medicine at Leeds, Newcastle or Sheffield?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any insights on the universities above in terms of what it's like to live there, the medicine course itself (in case I didn't notice something) and anything else really. I would appreciate any help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My daughter read medicine at Newcastle and she loved the course and the city.
You'll already know that the course is integrated and that you have early contact with patients. There is a real emphasis on communication and clinical skills. You'll be taking blood very early on in the course!

The city is compact and accommodation is plentiful and reasonably priced compared to other cities. There is a vibrant student scene. The transport links are excellent and you can get out to the coast on the metro. Beautiful beaches in Tynemouth and Whitley Bay are easily reached on said metro line.

My daughter's insurance was Sheffield. The course is very similar in content to Newcastle and the city is also very compact. It's also very green and the Peak District is on your doorstep. One of my daughter's friends read medicine at Sheffield and she loved her time there.

I can't speak for Leeds, but if you choose Newcastle or Sheffield you'll have a great time!

Well done on securing three offers for medicine!
(edited 1 month ago)
Choose Leeds it's the best!!
Whatever you do, don't choose Newcastle! I have heard from people who study there that the staff are so disorganised and that they don't really care about the students education, often messing up marks in exams (source; christina aalyiah) and forcing people off trips who aren't in a set number of societies. also the people who live in newcastle aren't really that friendly and you can't walk around at night safely. i highly recommend sheffield or leeds!
Sheffield's a really pleasant city tho 🙂
Reply 5
Original post by MarkGoldbridge
Whatever you do, don't choose Newcastle! I have heard from people who study there that the staff are so disorganised and that they don't really care about the students education, often messing up marks in exams (source; christina aalyiah) and forcing people off trips who aren't in a set number of societies. also the people who live in newcastle aren't really that friendly and you can't walk around at night safely. i highly recommend sheffield or leeds!
I'm sorry, but I absolutely disagree with you re Newcastle. It's perfectly safe and Geordies are lovely people. I know many students who are at Newcastle and not one single one of them has had a problem with feeling or being unsafe.

As for the medicine course- it is highly regarded. My daughter is at home for Easter and I've asked her if she knew of anyone whose marks had been " messed up" and she said " absolutely not!". Unless you've had personal experience of the medicine course or know someone who is studying medicine there, I'd be careful about what you say.
Reply 6
Original post by Debs25
My daughter read medicine at Newcastle and she loved the course and the city.
You'll already know that the course is integrated and that you have early contact with patients. There is a real emphasis on communication and clinical skills. You'll be taking blood very early on in the course!
The city is compact and accommodation is plentiful and reasonably priced compared to other cities. There is a vibrant student scene. The transport links are excellent and you can get out to the coast on the metro. Beautiful beaches in Tynemouth and Whitley Bay are easily reached on said metro line.
My daughter's insurance was Sheffield. The course is very similar in content to Newcastle and the city is also very compact. It's also very green and the Peak District is on your doorstep. One of my daughter's friends read medicine at Sheffield and she loved her time there.
I can't speak for Leeds, but if you choose Newcastle or Sheffield you'll have a great time!
Well done on securing three offers for medicine!

Thank you very much! I think i'm going to firm one of Newcastle or Leeds and your insight really helped. They're both beautiful cities and student-friendly as well, but one issue is that Newcastle is a really long way from where I live. I did an EPQ so Sheffield is definitely going to be the insurance. Do you know by any chance how to submit the EPQ to the university?
Reply 7
Original post by VKJ
Thank you very much! I think i'm going to firm one of Newcastle or Leeds and your insight really helped. They're both beautiful cities and student-friendly as well, but one issue is that Newcastle is a really long way from where I live. I did an EPQ so Sheffield is definitely going to be the insurance. Do you know by any chance how to submit the EPQ to the university?
I'm afraid I don't know how you submit your EPQ.

Good luck!
Original post by VKJ

hey! have you decided between leeds and ncl? i'm stuck between firming leeds or leicester but leaning towards leeds, maybe ill see u at leeds ahaha? either way ncl sheff and leeds are all amazing im sure
Original post by VKJ

Hi there!
Congratulations on your offers!
You can’t submit your EPQ to any university, it goes as a subject in your UCAS application with your predicted/achieved grade. The uni can’t view it in terms of your topic but you are more likely to be asked about it in the interview or it will give you a chance to show wider knowledge of the topic you choose but guessing that you have done the interviews and received offers maybe you can email the university/call UCAS helpline and let them know about it but I am not sure if you can do much now.
Reply 10
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
Hi there!
Congratulations on your offers!
You can’t submit your EPQ to any university, it goes as a subject in your UCAS application with your predicted/achieved grade. The uni can’t view it in terms of your topic but you are more likely to be asked about it in the interview or it will give you a chance to show wider knowledge of the topic you choose but guessing that you have done the interviews and received offers maybe you can email the university/call UCAS helpline and let them know about it but I am not sure if you can do much now.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up calling the UCAS helpline and they said the university can see it as long as I have put it on
Reply 11
Original post by a.aleesha
hey! have you decided between leeds and ncl? i'm stuck between firming leeds or leicester but leaning towards leeds, maybe ill see u at leeds ahaha? either way ncl sheff and leeds are all amazing im sure

HI congrats on your offers! I decided to firm Leeds but you're right every med school is amazing. Wish you the best in deciding!
Original post by VKJ
HI congrats on your offers! I decided to firm Leeds but you're right every med school is amazing. Wish you the best in deciding!

hey, thanks so much congrats to u too! that’s great you’ve made the decision :smile: i feel like im sooo close to firming leeds im just gonna do it soon ahah
just wondering have you decided what accom you’re choosing? i’ve been trying to find one that’s nearby and sort of social but not too loud or rowdy as we all know medicine is kinda long and i need my sleep pahah 😭
Reply 13
hey, thanks so much congrats to u too! that’s great you’ve made the decision :smile: i feel like im sooo close to firming leeds im just gonna do it soon ahah
just wondering have you decided what accom you’re choosing? i’ve been trying to find one that’s nearby and sort of social but not too loud or rowdy as we all know medicine is kinda long and i need my sleep pahah 😭

I thought choosing accommodation was gonna be the easy part but there's too many pick from lol so im still looking at all of them. I kinda want it to have a friendly laid back vibe but i don't think there's a filter for that on the accom page so I guess ill just ask around about what ppl at leeds think
Original post by VKJ
I thought choosing accommodation was gonna be the easy part but there's too many pick from lol so im still looking at all of them. I kinda want it to have a friendly laid back vibe but i don't think there's a filter for that on the accom page so I guess ill just ask around about what ppl at leeds think

hahah honestlyy it seems just as hard - i firmed leeds btw 🙂 so now looking myself. i'm the samee, i think central village seems to usually be popular amongst med students as its also super near the med school so i'm looking at that one, idk what else tho! let me know if theres any advice u get from ppl at leeds
Reply 15
Well done for choosing! Yea I was told the same when i messaged the leeds' medical students. I sent messages to other students as well so hopefully they'll respond whenever they're free. Now we just have to get the grades
Original post by VKJ
Well done for choosing! Yea I was told the same when i messaged the leeds' medical students. I sent messages to other students as well so hopefully they'll respond whenever they're free. Now we just have to get the grades

tysm! yes ahah its acc terrifying knowing a levels are so soon ☹️ i didnt realise how expensive central village was ! i rly liked the look of it but i think leeds put their prices up, so now looking at slightly cheaper options. I like the lood of Leodis so might choose that instead, only con is its 2x further from med sch and apparently at the bottom of a hill pahah
tysm! yes ahah its acc terrifying knowing a levels are so soon ☹️ i didnt realise how expensive central village was ! i rly liked the look of it but i think leeds put their prices up, so now looking at slightly cheaper options. I like the lood of Leodis so might choose that instead, only con is its 2x further from med sch and apparently at the bottom of a hill pahah

Hey I'm a current Leeds student at leodis! I luv leodis, the walk honestly isn't bad, the rooms are nice, lovely warden and cat too, but fair warning some blocks have bad silverfish infestations 😭

Feel free to msg me abt the uni (but I don't study medicine btw)
Reply 18

Could be morning exercise for you lol. A few students replied and i got recommended Montague Burton and city side. They both look nice and are also more affordable compared to central village. I think i'm leaning towards city side cause I want to get to know the area first before i live further way and I think if I get a part-time job then rent should be fine as well. Hope there's no silverfish tho
Reply 19
Original post by shineadd
Hey I'm a current Leeds student at leodis! I luv leodis, the walk honestly isn't bad, the rooms are nice, lovely warden and cat too, but fair warning some blocks have bad silverfish infestations 😭
Feel free to msg me abt the uni (but I don't study medicine btw)

HI! I was just wondering how accessible everything is in Leeds? Do you need to travel far for groceries and other things or is it generally all quite close?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending