The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tphys
Facebooked the guy who made those guides's name 'cos I'm weird and he's at Oxford so they must be good. Thanks for the links :smile:

His profile picture is weird... But yes, an Oxford student and the notes are useful.
Subbed.

Not looking forward to this, haven't even started learning the content yet =\ .
Original post by ViralRiver
Subbed.

Not looking forward to this, haven't even started learning the content yet =\ .

Read those PDF's above, wonderful.
Yup just downloaded it, looks good but I won't start until I've finished with my other subjects xD . Only needing 64/150 for an A in this as far as I know.
Yup just downloaded it, looks good but I won't start until I've finished with my other subjects xD . Only needing 64/150 for an A in this as far as I know.

I need 49/150 for a D :colondollar:
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I need 49/150 for a D :colondollar:

You've already started working, so I think it's obvious who's more likely to achieve what they need :P .
You've already started working, so I think it's obvious who's more likely to achieve what they need :P .

I'll write up some really nice notes, do well in mocks, be able to do every question in the book and still panic and fail in the exam. It happened last time :facepalm:

We've only got 2 medical spreads left and were done learning the content, so a months worth of revision!
Yeah, he teaches us from a Power Point which has EVERYTHING on it, including the old specification stuff. So I guess he's been teaching us more in depth cosmology without realising.
So much time could have been saved in class. We only finished learning the course last week. Revision from now :smile:
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I'll write up some really nice notes, do well in mocks, be able to do every question in the book and still panic and fail in the exam. It happened last time :facepalm:

We've only got 2 medical spreads left and were done learning the content, so a months worth of revision!

I'm usually really good with exams somehow. My time management is great (except for that chem paper in January, only paper I've never finished). Just for some reason my brain is in top gear if its an exam, like I'll think of things I never would have done in class which helps me solve the questions, like that helicopter thing (q1) in the Newtonian World from Jan. But yeah, in class I just sit there staring out the window not doing anything xD . Though I do (normally) revise a hell of a lot, i.e read the book back to front, learn all definitions, do all spread questions and exam + practice questions + any past papers there are available. One thing I did for the Jan Newtonian World paper which I'd never done before was right up some notes on really important parts of the course which I didn't normally remember. It looked like it worked so I'm now trying it with all of my other subjects xD .

tl;dr - there's actually no point to this post.
Reply 29
can anyone post the official markscheme for the latest paper?
Did the mock June 2010 paper, Went alright. Only need 66/100 for an A though.
Reply 31
Original post by mattslater
I found some awesome revision notes for this online. Also found similar type for G484 if anyone is re-taking.

Damn! Thanks so much! They are awesome!
Can anyone do Q4(b)(iv) on page 209?

I cant get it to work when I do the method they used on part (iii).
Found a nice thread for G485 with all past paper and Questions:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24124801&highlight=G485%20Frontiers%202010
I do OCR B, but just for practice I guess could people ask questions so that I can attempt to answer? I would be grateful. I don't do medical physics but you could still ask me questions on that as well :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Summerdays
I do OCR B, but just for practice I guess could people ask questions so that I can attempt to answer? I would be grateful. I don't do medical physics but you could still ask me questions on that as well :smile:

Thank you: Here we go!

Question 1) Explain the process of production of a main sequence star(E.g. Our sun)?
Original post by sulexk
Thank you: Here we go!

Question 1) Explain the process of production of a main sequence star(E.g. Our sun)?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, unfortunately we don't do that here at OCR B :frown: But it's something I wanted to learn ('on the side') so I will definitely get back to answering this in as much detail as possible, ASAP. Could you ask a question that has to do with electricity, capacitors, nuclear physics, particle physics etc. please? Sorry about that :s-smilie:
Reply 37
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, unfortunately we don't do that here at OCR B :frown: But it's something I wanted to learn ('on the side') so I will definitely get back to answering this in as much detail as possible, ASAP. Could you ask a question that has to do with electricity, capacitors, nuclear physics, particle physics etc. please? Sorry about that :s-smilie:

Thank you- I am happy to know what you would like questions on. Okay here I go:

Question: Define what is binding energy?
Original post by sulexk
Thank you- I am happy to know what you would like questions on. Okay here I go:

Question: Define what is binding energy?

Binding energy is the minimum energy needed to seperate a nucleus into intos constituent nucleons. This is proportional to the mass defect of the nucleons, because some matter from the nucleons is used to bind the nucleons together. This means the total mass of the constituent nucleons is less than the mass of the nucleus, due to loss of potential energy. Mass defect = Binding energy/c^2 followed by Einsteins famous equation, e =mc^2; mass and energy are equivalent. Work is needed to be done to seperate the constituent nucleons in a nucleus (thus gaining energy/mass.)
Reply 39
Binding energy is the minimum energy needed to seperate a nucleus into intos constituent nucleons. This is proportional to the mass defect of the nucleons, because some matter from the nucleons is used to bind the nucleons together. This means the total mass of the constituent nucleons is less than the mass of the nucleus, due to loss of potential energy. Mass defect = Binding energy/c^2 followed by Einsteins famous equation, e =mc^2; mass and energy are equivalent. Work is needed to be done to seperate the constituent nucleons in a nucleus (thus gaining energy/mass.)

"This means the total mass of the constituent nucleons is less than the mass of the nucleus, due to loss of potential energy"

Is the total mass of the constituent nucleons greater than the mass of the nucleus?

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending