The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexsheppard11
i though about getting an external hard drives cause there are some cheap ones around now, problem is, they are USB2.
Depends if you plan on getting a USB 3 compatible motherboard/laptop any time soon :smile:

Can you not just replace the case on it when you want to upgrade?

Original post by G8D
Anyone dual-boot savvy?

I want to install Ubuntu 11 (open to other suggestions as well) and I don't really know where to start.

I have a Vaio E Series, what's the chance of my having issues drivers/hardware etc?

Can I rejoin the two partitions I make without disrupting my Windows install?

Defragment, then use wubi - http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
Nice and simple. Fairly likely to have drivers in general really, although possibly not good ones for video cards.
That may well be enough functionality for you. If you want to squeeze a bit more performance, you can just migrate (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354) or reinstall to a partition.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Ok, it's installing.
Does this run within Windows then? I'd need to migrate it before I'd be able to boot straight into it?

Not quite. It's really rather good.
The filesystem is contained in a file on your windows partition (or wherever you installed it), this is true. However, the way it works (to simplify) is loads the windows boot manager (which mounts the windows partition) then mount the file itself. Linux is then booted from this mounted disk.
So you're actually running on pure linux (windows doesn't run in the background), albeit with indirection through the file then the ntfs filesystem to actually access your 'hard drive' - hence the performance hit and my suggestion to defrag beforehand.
It has been a while (read: 3 years) since I used it, so I may have got some of the details wrong, but the essence is there.

To more simply answer your question - no. You boot straight into it with wubi.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by G8D
"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The system cannot find the file specified."

Is this when you try and boot wubi or somewhere else? Where is wubi installed? Do you have easybcd?
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5073 might help (browsing for the bcd file manually, with some hints on where to find it)

Edit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/613288
Hmm, seems like a bug. Probably best to create a thread about dual booting in tech, wubi sounds like it's not going to work without a lot of effort.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wubi is good when it works, but a separate Ubuntu installation is usually so much quicker.
Reply 9124
Original post by G8D
I reckon I might just forget about Linux.

I have my W7 install which is fine and I can just boot into WEB mode (Sony browser-OS).
Shame I can't make WEB work with my uni's VPN :frown:

Try a native install, it's much less cumbersome, and can be REALLY simple to implement. :smile:

Download Parition wizard Home edition and use that to reduce your Win partition inside windows (avoids a disk check at boot for Windows, then boot up the Live CD (which will be slower than Wubi if running from a USB stick), an install Ubuntu in the space created. For a swap partition, you'll probably want 4GB plus some more to store the rest of your RAM when hibernating (so I use 8GB in my desktop, and 4GB in my laptop), and ubuntu will handle the rest. It's far better on a native disk, trust me.
Original post by Tathrim
Download Parition wizard Home edition and use that to reduce your Win partition inside windows (avoids a disk check at boot for Windows)

Could just resize with diskmgmt.msc?
Reply 9126
Original post by Chrosson
Could just resize with diskmgmt.msc?

It's not so good. You can get more space with a 3rd party manager, due to they way windows places it's hibernation file, etc.
first exam tuesday afternoon :eek:
Reply 9128
Original post by G8D
Partition issues.

****ed up my first EXT partition time ago (with my Hero), it worked for App2SD but didn't with the HD2 :frown:
So now I have this:

How do I re-join all these into one FAT32 partition ready to be re-partitioned? I really need the extra space.

It's a MicroSD card, if that helps at all.

BEFORE YOU START:
if you're dealing with ext2, you will want to use that Ubuntu live CD, which should contain a program called GPartEd, and not the win7 Partitioner.

Use a space in My Documents called HTC files to store what's on the smaller partition, format that partition, then expand the larger and copy the data back. Simples. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Any Facebook devs in here? :awesome:
Original post by spikeymike
Any Facebook devs in here? :awesome:

Not while I have breath in my body... :colonhash:
Original post by Mad Vlad
Not while I have breath in my body... :colonhash:

:pierre: I have to research it for my placement.
:pierre: I have to research it for my placement.

:tongue: what you doing for your placement?
Original post by Mad Vlad
:tongue: what you doing for your placement?

Website for a new start up company. :smile:
Website for a new start up company. :smile:

Ooooh, top stuff! :smile:
Reply 9135
Original post by G8D
I use this on my Android phone so the EXT partition is backed up already as are my files.
I've booted into the Gparted LiveCD but all the options for the unallocated partition are greyed out :/

Any ideas? I'm not against wiping everything. Just so you know.

You say it's an SD card... Is the switch unlocked on said card?
Been keeping up with that Noteslate product that secretmessages posted a while back. Sadly, it's nothing more than vapour ware. It was such a brilliant product, well had the potential to be. :sad:

In other news, this brought tears to my eyes. Troll? :rofl:

(edited 12 years ago)
Mad Vlad
x

secretmessages
y

Good job for getting this into play, whoever it was. Nice way of raising the profile of the wiki.
Not sure how long it's been around though, I may be embarrassingly late to the party.
Original post by Chrosson

Good job for getting this into play, whoever it was. Nice way of raising the profile of the wiki.
Not sure how long it's been around though, I may be embarrassingly late to the party.

I did it (with help from 'messages) yesterday. :smile:
garh i wonder how much this will go for.

need to recover some funds from buying camera lenses:s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending