The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
I would prefer it not to be a separate thread and it's not really sticky material, but I'm happy to edit it into the first post of this thread for you :smile:
Reply 1481
I agree, so I'll edit it into the first post :smile: I'm subscribed to this thread so if further links come up I'll put them in.

Edit: Done. Perhaps best to just quote me if you want anything adding, or ask BeritV to edit the post. I'm moving home from Russia in a couple of days so I don't want to miss anything in the chaos!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BeritV
I miss our closed thread already and so I had to make this thread.

Discuss anything at all, just like we did in our previous thread. :smile:

All of you, join here and may this thread be the new favourite tread for all the Oxford lovers :-)

Since it seems that people do want a list, I will produce one (sorted by colleges primarily, then by subjects)
- if there are any mistakes here, let me know, please. Also, if you want to be included in the list and you do not have your college and subject info in your signature, include this info in your post here :-)

Oxford Offer Holders list:

Spoiler

List of offer holder Facebook groups (courtesy of Cynthialf):

Spoiler

Could I have my name put down for St. John's please? I've got an offer for French & Linguistics. :h:

And is there any chance of a St. John's group coming along soon? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1483
Original post by BeritV
I miss our closed thread already and so I had to make this thread.

Discuss anything at all, just like we did in our previous thread. :smile:

All of you, join here and may this thread be the new favourite tread for all the Oxford lovers :-)

Since it seems that people do want a list, I will produce one (sorted by colleges primarily, then by subjects)
- if there are any mistakes here, let me know, please. Also, if you want to be included in the list and you do not have your college and subject info in your signature, include this info in your post here :-)

I have an offer for Maths & Philosophy at Merton. I was doing one of those lists for the Liverpool people; they get to be such a pain after a while. :p:

Original post by meganeira
And is there any chance of a St. John's group coming along soon? :smile:

There is if you make one. :yep:
Original post by dbmag9

There is if you make one. :yep:

Well... this is awkward. How do I make one? :h:
Reply 1485
Original post by meganeira
Well... this is awkward. How do I make one? :h:

Go to your 'Groups' view (either from the left sidebar, or by typing 'Groups' into the search box), then click on the button to create a new group (I have Facebook in German at the moment, so I don't know the precise wording). Find a picture, write a description, add anyone you know already and mention it to TSR.
Original post by dbmag9
Go to your 'Groups' view (either from the left sidebar, or by typing 'Groups' into the search box), then click on the button to create a new group (I have Facebook in German at the moment, so I don't know the precise wording). Find a picture, write a description, add anyone you know already and mention it to TSR.

Just managed to do it! :smile:

St. John's Incoming Class 2011
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_177774962278015
Thinking of applying. in the interests of research, what are the lowest gcse grades anyone has got with an offer : a) from a state school, b) from independent?
Original post by murdeb
Thinking of applying. in the interests of research, what are the lowest gcse grades anyone has got with an offer : a) from a state school, b) from independent?

If you're worried about your GCSEs, try browsing this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573746 - there are plenty of examples of the range of GCSE results held by successful applicants in there
Reply 1489
Original post by cynthialf
Ooh my list! And if anyone has something to add (a college/subject group) please PM or post it :smile:

This is for Worcester :smile: (not made by me!)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=178518488692
Just a heads up!
Anybody with an offer to study Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry are being sent a 'Pre-course Maths Booklet'.
By sent, I really mean.. sent an email with a URL and instructions to download the booklet.
I'm guessing most will be getting the email in the coming days, unless you've already received it! :biggrin:
P.S. I'm having a bit of trouble actually viewing the booklet though.. Does anybody else have the same problem?
Original post by brendan.
Just a heads up!
Anybody with an offer to study Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry are being sent a 'Pre-course Maths Booklet'.
By sent, I really mean.. sent an email with a URL and instructions to download the booklet.
I'm guessing most will be getting the email in the coming days, unless you've already received it! :biggrin:
P.S. I'm having a bit of trouble actually viewing the booklet though.. Does anybody else have the same problem?

Here is a copy of the math course booklet for biochem and biomed. I doubt it has changed much, and these are subjects you are expected to know upon your arrival to Oxford.

Cheers!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mapontikos
Here is a copy of the math course booklet for biochem and biomed. I doubt it has changed much, and these are subjects you are expected to know upon your arrival to Oxford.

Cheers!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Much appreciated. :grin:
Reply 1493
Original post by brendan.
Just a heads up!

Yeah, the link in the pdf doesn't go to the url shown and if you type the url into the address bar it only seems to work if you change the http to https, and even then when I log in the download link just takes me back to the login page.
Reply 1494
Hiya,

I'm hoping to go to Lincoln to study English this October. I am incredibly excited. Bit of a radio silence from Lincoln though, I've not had any information sent to me since my offer letter. Does anyone else think that now we are doing exams and can count down our papers that it is becoming more and more real that we actually have offers?! I think it's incredible. I've got four more papers to sit, then all I can do is hope.

I'd better get back to revision now. I'm so easily distracted. But I seriously do not want to mess this up. If I miss this chance...:frown:
Original post by D.Wells
Yeah, the link in the pdf doesn't go to the url shown and if you type the url into the address bar it only seems to work if you change the http to https, and even then when I log in the download link just takes me back to the login page.

Ah, I have it now! I emailed the contact they gave in the pdf and they suggested using this link instead..
https://learntech.imsu.ox.ac.uk/mathsworkbook/
This one worked for me, but as far as I can see the booklet is exactly the same as the one posted by mapontikos anyway.
Thanks for the help though! :biggrin:
Reply 1496
Original post by LtCommanderData
BTW, hooray for the Oxford Opportunity Bursary

Hear, hear! It's worked out as the cheapest university I could attend.
Original post by LtCommanderData
BTW, hooray for the Oxford Opportunity Bursary

I have also been very pleasantly surprised :smile: Potential mature applicants in particular should be better acquainted with it, I'm sure that more would apply.
Reply 1498
That makes for two of us. Q _ Q
Hey everyone, I hope these aren't stupid questions, but they've been worrying me...

1)If we don't hear from our colleges asking what accomodation we want, does that mean we'll just be assigned a room? Because at Oriel they seem to have a grading system (A*-D I think) of the rooms, according to price and quality. If we're just assigned rooms when we get there, how can we budget? We haven't even been told prices, and I'd really like to work out my budget before I go! Also, I'd like to have a choice over the price of the room I want, if possible :s-smilie:
2) When do we bring what? I mean, do we wait until we've settled in and been assigned a room to bring up all of our stuff?

Sorry if these are tired questions...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending