Reply 300
Original post by 41jms
does ester hydrolysis require reflux?

H+(aq) or OH-(aq) under reflux

have no idea about the second question :s-smilie:
Reply 301
Original post by 41jms
does ester hydrolysis require reflux?

Esters can be hydrolysed with either an acid or an alkali, and both ways require the reaction to be performed under reflux.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by Adam9
Esters can be hydrolysed with either an acid or an alkali, and both ways require the reaction to be performed under reflux.

:lolwut: you sure?
thats true
Reply 304
True
Reply 305
anyone know about molecular recognition?
Reply 306
what will be a model answer as to why there is a ring of delocalised electrons inside the benzene?
Reply 307
Original post by pav
what will be a model answer as to why there is a ring of delocalised electrons inside the benzene?

One electron from each carbon is delocalised across the whole ring and structure. Electrons are arranged in 2 rings above and below the plane of the molecule.
We need to know the experiments? E.g. outline acid-base titration, t.l.c, recrystallisation, colorimetry, refluxing, standard electrode potential, carrying out organic prep? G.l.C is the obvious one of course, unsure about there though
Reply 309
Original post by pav

- Each Carbon atom in the ring has four outer electrons.
- 3 of these electrons are involved in covalent bonding. (2 with the carbons next door in the ring and one hydrogen atom).
- One of the four electrons is not involved in bonding
- Theses electrons are evenly spread throughout the molecule forming a ring of delocalised electrons above and below the plane of the molecule. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 310
Original post by Adam9

Original post by xshopoholicx
thats true

Original post by S444NDP
True

Reflux is used the formation of Esters.

From the Exclusively endorsed Revision Guide
Hydrolysis of Esters
Hydrolysis is the breakdown of a molecule by water - it is the reverse of esterification. The hydrolysis of an ester can be carried out using an acid catalyst (such as sulphuric acid) or an alkili catalyst (such as sodium hydroxide). Alkaline hydrolysis is usually preferred because the reaction goes to completion.
Reply 311
Original post by pav

- each carbon in the ring forms three bonds
- so one electron from each carbon becomes delocalised across the ring
- the delocalised electrons are in the p-orbital, so form rings of delocalisation above and below the plane
Reply 312
Original post by joestevens2092
We need to know the experiments? E.g. outline acid-base titration, t.l.c, recrystallisation, colorimetry, refluxing, standard electrode potential, carrying out organic prep? G.l.C is the obvious one of course, unsure about there though

I think we need to know about distillation and refluxing to as well as G.LC. Dont think we need to know the rest.
Reply 313
Original post by zahre
- Each Carbon atom in the ring has four delocalised electrons.- 3 of these electrons are involved in covalent bonding. (2 with the carbons next door in the ring and one hydrogen atom).
- One of the four electrons is not involved in bonding
- Theses electrons are evenly spread throughout the molecule forming a ring of delocalised electrons above and below the plane of the molecule. :smile:

Noo, each carbon has four electrons in its outer shell, but all four are NOT delocalised.

Although the rest is right :smile:
Reply 314
Original post by Tetanus
Reflux is used the formation of Esters.

From the Exclusively endorsed Revision Guide

No if you look in the ummary of organic reactions in the revision guide it actually says heated under reflux
Reply 315
Original post by twelve
Noo, each carbon has four electrons in its outer shell, but all four are NOT delocalised.

Although the rest is right :smile:

Yeah I just noticed that. Typing error. Ive editted it. Lol.
Reply 316
Original post by zahre
I think we need to know about distillation and refluxing to as well as G.LC. Dont think we need to know the rest.

You need to know them all as i have done papers with recrystallisaition and t.l.c on it
Reply 317
Original post by Tetanus
:lolwut: you sure?

Yer, he's right I think it is moderately concentrated acid or alkali, that's what I have down on my big old sheet anyways.
Reply 318
It says in the specification:
'suggest and explain in terms of intermolecular bonds, ionic attractions, and covalent bonding, how some dyes attach themselves to fibres'
How much detail do we need to know this in and what are the basics because I have no idea :confused:
Thanks
Reply 319
Can i confirm that a dehydration of a alcohol to an Alkene is conc H2S04 refluxed??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending