The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Luceria
Nice. Tate Modern sounds interesting, but that's an art gallery. Not that I'm extremely into art, but I'd like to visit.

Oooh, haven't been there. Will go there when I'm in London in July. My favourite place to go in London is the National Portrait Gallery. I love portraits more than any other kind of art, don't know why. When I was younger I would sit and look through my grandma's big box of photos for hours on end.
Reply 281
Norwegian reporting in!
There is a reason I want to study abroad though.
Reply 282
Original post by stifa
Norwegian reporting in!
There is a reason I want to study abroad though.

Velkommen! Where do you want to study? And why? :smile:
Reply 283
I'm thinking of somewhere in the UK.
My choises are, as of now: Heriot-Watt, LondonMet, Glamorgan, Portsmouth and Birmingham. Computer system engineering mostly, and "Computing and Electronics" on Heriot-Watt.
I have a 4.80 average on my "vitnemål". I am currently waiting for results on a complaint regarding my Norwegian Bokmål exam.
Also, I'm taking a gap year, so this is for 2012 entry.

What about you?
Reply 284
Jeg Elsker Deg!
Reply 285
Original post by stifa
I'm thinking of somewhere in the UK.
My choises are, as of now: Heriot-Watt, LondonMet, Glamorgan, Portsmouth and Birmingham. Computer system engineering mostly, and "Computing and Electronics" on Heriot-Watt.
I have a 4.80 average on my "vitnemål". I am currently waiting for results on a complaint regarding my Norwegian Bokmål exam.
Also, I'm taking a gap year, so this is for 2012 entry.

What about you?

That's great, CS seems like a fascinating subject. I don't envy the fees you're going to have to pay though, although I've heard Lånekassen funds everything for up to about seven years, I think, so not quite so bad. Are you nervous about living in a (sort of) foreign country for three years? I was originally considering doing my first degree in Scandinavia, but chickened out :frown: .
I'm not quite familiar with vitnemålet, is that equivalent to A-Levels?

Well, I've just finished my BA at The University of Nottingham (I did a semester at UiO and it was awesome, so I'd love to go back to Oslo some time) and next semester I'm starting an MA in Medieval Icelandic at The Univeristy of Iceland. So I'm in between things right now, just waiting to move to Reykjavík in August and trying to get my Icelandic up to scratch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 286
Yes, it kind of is. It does at least serve the same purpose. UiO is quite good, but Oslo as a town, in my opinion, isn't really good. I prefer smaller towns, like Trondheim, though I wouldn't study there.

Good luck on further studying then! :smile:
Reply 287
Original post by stifa
Yes, it kind of is. It does at least serve the same purpose. UiO is quite good, but Oslo as a town, in my opinion, isn't really good. I prefer smaller towns, like Trondheim, though I wouldn't study there.

Good luck on further studying then! :smile:

Trondheim is a wonderful city, I spent a couple of days there. I'd have thought that NTNU would have been a good place for CS. I lived on the outskirts of Oslo, very close to Sognsvann and it was a really nice area - I was only about five minutes away from a forested ski route and the same from a train to the centre of Oslo.

You too!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 288
Yeah, I know about their computer technology course. I have sufficient grades to get into it without a problem as well. I just wanted to study abroad, and that is a "dream" I've been having these last three or four years.
Reply 289
Original post by stifa
Yeah, I know about their computer technology course. I have sufficient grades to get into it without a problem as well. I just wanted to study abroad, and that is a "dream" I've been having these last three or four years.

Have you done the IELTS? :biggrin:
Reply 290
Nope.
Most of the universities accept a 4 on my leaving certificate (vitnemål). I talked to my English teacher about it and she said that VG1 English was their standard. I took a International English class last year, and got 4 (written) and a 5 (oral). However, I might consider taking the IELTS if that isn't sufficient; I wil probably consult with the universities regarding that matter.
I have all the time in the world to do this, because I'm going to a "folkehøgskole" this fall! :biggrin:
What about you?
Reply 291
Original post by stifa
Nope.
Most of the universities accept a 4 on my leaving certificate (vitnemål). I talked to my English teacher about it and she said that VG1 English was their standard. I took a International English class last year, and got 4 (written) and a 5 (oral). However, I might consider taking the IELTS if that isn't sufficient; I wil probably consult with the universities regarding that matter.
I have all the time in the world to do this, because I'm going to a "folkehøgskole" this fall! :biggrin:
What about you?

Definitely check, because a lot of UK unis want the IELTS :yep:
I studied French and Italian at the University of Durham where I met my bf...I now live in Oslo! I'm back in the UK at the moment though, on holiday :biggrin:
Reply 292
The IELTS is done at Folkeuniversitetet in Oslo. It's a fairly intense thing and the time limit is relatively short, but at the same time very doable.

I got 8 in Listening, 6 in Reading, 7 in Writing and 8.5 in Speaking. Made for an Overall Score of 7.5 which is more than the university required (6.5). :smile:
Reply 293
What did you achieve in upper secondary in English?

Also, I'm the kind who had the rights to usa a PC and an extra hours on our exams, thus I hope I do not need to do that test.
Reply 294
Original post by stifa
What did you achieve in upper secondary in English?

Also, I'm the kind who had the rights to usa a PC and an extra hours on our exams, thus I hope I do not need to do that test.

You can get extra time and stuff on the IELTs if you require it.

Original post by ahpadt
The IELTS is done at Folkeuniversitetet in Oslo. It's a fairly intense thing and the time limit is relatively short, but at the same time very doable.

I got 8 in Listening, 6 in Reading, 7 in Writing and 8.5 in Speaking. Made for an Overall Score of 7.5 which is more than the university required (6.5). :smile:

Yeah it's definitely more of a British-style exam. I invigilate it sometimes and many Norwegians find it very odd that you can't eat, or drink anything other than water. In the UK the longest exam you usually find is 3 hours.
Reply 295
Original post by Luceria
I've had 6 exams in my life (two were oral).. And all the written exams were 5 hours. Meh. Even "5 hours" isn't enough!

And what's all this talk about the IELTS test? I've read you didn't have to take a test like that if your grade was 4 or higher . But maybe that was just some Unis.

Well it must depend on the uni. My bf got a 5 or a 6 in English (can't remember which) and he had to do it. Got 8.5 out of 9 overall.
Reply 296
He didn't go to Oxford by any chance?
Reply 297
Original post by stifa
He didn't go to Oxford by any chance?

Nope, same uni as me, Durham.
Reply 298
Original post by Becca
You can get extra time and stuff on the IELTs if you require it.

Yeah it's definitely more of a British-style exam. I invigilate it sometimes and many Norwegians find it very odd that you can't eat, or drink anything other than water. In the UK the longest exam you usually find is 3 hours.

How did you get to do that? Ask the university or did you apply for it like a normal job?
Reply 299
Original post by Einheri
How did you get to do that? Ask the university or did you apply for it like a normal job?

Got a friend who works at FU Oslo, but still had to fill out applications.

Quick Reply

Latest