The Student Room Group

Dealing with a bad interview

Does anybody have any experience with dealing with a bad interview? I've applied for a course and have a good/strong application on paper, but my actual interview went badly. I stumbled through most of the questions and I am very worried I have wasted a good opportunity. Does anybody have any experience in similar situations? Thanks
Original post by Anon123451
Does anybody have any experience with dealing with a bad interview? I've applied for a course and have a good/strong application on paper, but my actual interview went badly. I stumbled through most of the questions and I am very worried I have wasted a good opportunity. Does anybody have any experience in similar situations? Thanks

Hey there @Anon123451 !

First off it's important to note that no one likes doing interviews. Every single person is always nervous for them because at the end of the day you don't know exactly what it is they're going to ask until you walk in the room. I always think of every interview as a learning experience (as cheesy as it sounds). Not every interview you do is going to go right and sure you might miss out on opportunities at times but it's an experience for your career path and the more you do of them, the more comfortable you feel going forward. Take some time to reflect on what you thought you could do better in the interview and the sort of questions they asked you so you can take that experience into future ones.

Universities are going to expect some stumbling and probably realise that at undergraduate level, you've probably only done 1 or 2 interviews in your life. They also probably interview thousands of candidates a year and won't judge you for some slight stumbles. Obviously it's easy to think the worst when you haven't heard from them but try not to have such a negative mindset about it and whatever will be, will be.

Hope this helped, good luck!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 2
Hi,

Thank you kindly for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time let me reflect on the situation with a bit more clarity. And it does make sense what you say; we're all going to be nervous going into any interview. It was for an MPhil course, and because it means so much to me I started losing track of my thoughts and ability to speak. I'm Norwegian, so English is not my first language. Anyway, thank you very much for your reply, it just made my day. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending