The Student Room Group

Can someone educate me on alcohol?

Ok, this is actually a serious question so no funny answers please.

I'm 17 and I have never gone to parties and drank alcohol. Nowadays, I can't go one day without hearing a conversation between people my age about alcohol. I can never join in these conversations because I don't drink myself and know absolutely nothing about alcohol.

Could someone just teach me stuff about alcohol. For example, what do people that are 17 generally drink? On average, how many pints do people drink at parties? How many pints does it take to get drunk on average? And anything else useful about alcohol which has not been covered?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First of all people who are 17 are not legally allowed to buy alcohol. But there are many ways to get around it. I would say for a 17 year old to get drunk FOR THE FIRST TIME, between two to three pints of regular cider/ beer would be enough. Since it's your first time, you should start feeling some of the effects of Alcohol after you have downed your first pint. Again, its different for girls and boys as girls generally have a smaller bladder, etc.

In terms of shots, every type of alcohol beverage has a different amount of alcohol in it. In terms of Vodka, which usually has 40 - 45% of alcohol, an average 17 year old need about 3/4 before getting drunk and a first time drinker would feel the effects in the first two shots I presume.

Of course there is the question of tolerance. If you drink on a regular basis, 3/4 times a week then you will have a higher tolerance to those that do not drink. Also the older you are, on a general basis the bigger your tolerance is.

If you go out for a party and want to mix in and absolutely have to drink then I suggest you eat something before so that it lines your stomach and keeps your booze from hitting you "hard". Also drink plenty of water after. A pint of beer or cider would be a good start and you shouldn't really be drunk, just getting the buzzing effect.

Happy Drinking. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HRH2
Ok so, I'm 19 and so you get an idea. First of all people who are 17 are not legally allowed to consume alcohol. But everyone does it anyway. I would say for a 17 year old to get drunk, two pints of Strongbow (my favorite cider) would be enough but if you are a first time drinker then you should feel most of the effects of Alcohol after you have downed your first pint. Again, its different for girls and boys are girls generally have a smaller bladder, etc.

In terms of shots, every type of alcohol beverage has a different amount of alcohol in it. In terms of Vodka, which usually has 40 - 45% of alcohol, an average 17 year old need about 3/4 before getting drunk and a first time drinker would feel the effects in the first two shots I presume.

Of course there is the question of tolerance. If you drink on a regular basis, 3/4 times a week then you will have a higher tolerance to those that do not drink. Also the older you are, on a general basis the bigger your tolerance is.

If you go out for a party and want to mix in and absolutely have to drink then I suggest you eat something before so that it lines your stomach and keeps your booze from hitting you "hard". Also drink plenty of water after. A pint of beer or cider would be a good start and you shouldn't really be drunk, just getting the buzzing effect.

Happy Drinking. lol

Trust a fellow Canadian to give a detailed post on alcohol haha :wink:
Reply 3
I started drinking when I was about 14 when I used to go out every weekend with my friends and get drunk. Nowadays (I'm 18) I only drink on special occasions, mainly because I'm into weight training and alcohol will interfere with my progress.

Negs because I started drinking at an early age? Or negs because I lift weights? o wel MOAR NEGS PLZ

U MAD?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
people drink whatever they like, there's no general trend. I like Vodka. Also there is no average drunk level, some people are out after a shot (serious), It depends on the person.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, this is actually a serious question so no funny answers please.

I'm 17 and I have never gone to parties and drank alcohol. Nowadays, I can't go one day without hearing a conversation between people my age about alcohol. I can never join in these conversations because I don't drink myself and know absolutely nothing about alcohol.

Could someone just teach me stuff about alcohol. For example, what do people that are 17 generally drink? On average, how many pints do people drink at parties? How many pints does it take to get drunk on average? And anything else useful about alcohol which has not been covered?

Thanks!

Everybody's different, everyone has their own preferences and tastes. Some things that one of your friends like won't be liked by other friends. There are no hard and fast rules. At that age the tastes will be basic and it will be very much a case of "whatever they can get their hands on". Don't try and fake it. Either go along and join in, or talk about something else.

Original post by HRH2
First of all people who are 17 are not legally allowed to consume alcohol.

Not true. People under 18 are not allowed to purchase alcohol, consumption of alcohol is, however, perfectly legal for any age.
Reply 6
You may wish to read the TSR alcohol guide for freshers too.
Reply 7
I don't drink much at home, now and again though in Uni I drink a lot. I'll probably have 6 - 7 cans before I leave for a club then I'll get on with shots, vodka & redbull and anything else that's cheap.

There isn't really a drink for 17 year old as such, you've got to be 18 in the UK to buy alcohol anyway, Amaretto and Coke is a good place to start.
Reply 8
Best way to learn about alcohol is to just go out and drink but don't start on the strong stuff. Drink a few pints of lager to start with and if you don't like the taste then try cider or alcopops. You might start to feel a bit tipsy after 5-6 pints. Your tolerance level won't be as high but you'll build that up once you start drinking on a regular basis. Seriously though stay off the J.D., sambuca and tequila. Have fun :biggrin:

P.S. - Stop drinking when vodka starts tasting like water.
Two Strongbows to get pissed? I'm assuming everyone in this thread is 5'0 and 13 years old if two Strongbows gets them pissed.

Get some spirits and down them. 35cl bottle of rum will set you back £6-7, sorted.
Original post by JonathanDuhamel
Trust a fellow Canadian to give a detailed post on alcohol haha :wink:

alcohol eh
Reply 11
The first response seems a bit of a lightweight.

I'd say 2-3 pints to get most guys my age tipsy, 4-5 to get properly drunk, once you start moving toward 8 you're getting toward messy stages. This in an average 3 or 4 hour session.

At parties a lot of people drink spirits straight from the bottle, so thinking in terms of shots isn't going to help. Most people tend to have around half of a medium sized bottle of spirit to themselves at a party, or such is my experience, and that'll get you pretty decently drunk. That's half of the larger square bottles by the way.

Learn your differences between Cider, Larger, Ale and Stout. Make sure you knwo things like to buy off brand vodka or cheaper brand vodka, Imperial is just the same as Smirnoff, but a few pounds cheaper. Get to know some regular mixes, like Vodka and Coke, Malibu and Coke (for the girls), Jagerbombs, Sambuca and Lemonade and stuff. Then you've got a good grounding.
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks!

First off there is no "average" I like white wine, cider and vodka and orange. Some people just drink alcopops like WKD or Smirnoff ICE ect, some people like larger - it's all personal preference.

Some people at parties will go crazy and drink until their blood is flammable - I'm a 4 or 5 drinks at a party kind of girl, usually vodka & orange juice at a party. But like I said some people will drink until they're paraletic!

Your tolerance to alcohol will affect how quickly you get drunk, also what you drink, my mum can be on the floor after 2 glasses of Asti, whereas she can drink half a bottle of Gin and she's fine.

Anything else useful?? Don't mix your drinks - you will hurl - and it will be really nasty!!
Reply 13
For example, what do people that are 17 generally drink?
Whatever's cheapest. Cider's usually a popular option, along with vodka/rum/whiskey and coke.
On average, how many pints do people drink at parties?
No idea about pints, but anywhere between 2-5 cans of beer/bitter/etc. It depends what there is on offer.
How many pints does it take to get drunk on average?
Depends on the person. Some people are 'light weights' and others aren't. It takes me a decent amount to get drunk, but I'm generally not having pints.
And anything else useful about alcohol which has not been covered?
It's generally not a good idea to create mixers involving beer. Mixing wine and lemonade isn't the best of combinations either, but it's drink-able. If you're trying liquor for the first time, mixers will taste better than having straight shots. Oh, and people saying that drinking alcohol through a straw will get you drunk faster are talking ****.

EDIT: To clarify, when I say mixers, I mean an alcohol with juice/coke/lemonade.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JCC-MGS
Two Strongbows to get pissed? I'm assuming everyone in this thread is 5'0 and 13 years old if two Strongbows gets them pissed.

Get some spirits and down them. 35cl bottle of rum will set you back £6-7, sorted.

Yeah who does get pissed on two pints of strongbow? O_o

Rum is vile though.
Reply 15
I wouldn't worry. Alcohol is way overrated.
Original post by HRH2
Ok so, I'm 19 and so you get an idea. First of all people who are 17 are not legally allowed to consume alcohol. But everyone does it anyway. I would say for a 17 year old to get drunk, two pints of Strongbow (my favorite cider) would be enough but if you are a first time drinker then you should feel most of the effects of Alcohol after you have downed your first pint. Again, its different for girls and boys are girls generally have a smaller bladder, etc.

Happy Drinking. lol

2 pints to get drunk? pussy.
Reply 17
Give me a coke over an alcoholic beverage any day tbh.

Don't feel you have to drink just because others do, you can have just as much fun without being intoxicated and you'll remember it.
My usual drink is a vodka and orange juice.
+

I've been drinking for several years, so it would take me roughly 8 vodka+oranges, until I feel an effect, then to get drunk I usually have to mix my drinks.

So I'll then move on to having a glass or two of baileys.

And then I like to have a few shots of Tequila Rose.

By this point I'd now be pretty drunk, and certainly feeling the effect of the alcohol.
Strangely enough, I can actually drink quite a lot of alcohol without feeling too much of an effect, that's not always a good thing though!
Someone who gets drunk quickly, eg; after one or two pints, are classed as a 'light weight' this means they have a very cheap night! They only need a couple of drinks before feeling drunk.
Most women who I drink with, usually drink...
wine or Malibu+coke, Vodka+coke, Archers+lemonade.
They usually get tipsy/on the verge of drunk off perhaps 3 glasses.

Most men I know drink...
Tetleys, Guinness, Stella Artois, Carlsberg, Carling, 6X.
It usually takes 5 or 6 pints, before they start showing much of an effect, and then perhaps, between 6 and 9 pints before they're drunk.

Most of the people I drink with are aged between 20 - 40 years old.

I personally dislike the taste of beer, larger, wine, cider...
I only really like whiskeys and spirits.
most of it tastes like crap...turns a crap night into a goodnight...makes crap people look gorgeous...the next morning, you just feel crap

Quick Reply

Latest