The Student Room Group

How can I deal with not being able to sleep early

I suffer greatly from not being able to sleep early. I try my best to sleep early but it just does not work and its affected my life really badly.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by RoseCube
I suffer greatly from not being able to sleep early. I try my best to sleep early but it just does not work and its affected my life really badly.

Hi there
I find doing exercise in the day and really tiring myself out and then eating a well balanced meal, then watching a film or drinking tea or reading a book! Also i have a diffuser which is so helpful to put lavender essence in!

Emily
Original post by RoseCube

Hiya :smile:

I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling with getting to sleep early, and I understand how it can impact your life. Here are some tips that might help you improve your sleep schedule!

1. Create and implement a relaxing routine

Establish a calming routine to signal to your body that it is time to unwind. This could include activities like reading, taking a warm bath, or practicing relaxation exercises/meditation. In my case, reading is extremely effective, and it slowly puts me to sleep. In addition, high stress levels can interfere with sleep. Therefore, relaxation techniques will also be beneficial in coping with stress.

2. Limit screen time

The blue light emitted by digital devices can interfere with your body's production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep. Try to avoid screens at least an hour before bedtime.

3. Avoid stimulants

Caffeine can disrupt sleep patterns, even when you think that an energy drink does not really affect you. Try to avoid them in the hours leading up to bedtime. Also heavy meals and alcohol close to bedtime can negatively interfere with your sleep patterns.

4. Set and follow a consistent sleep schedule

Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This helps regulate your body's internal clock. When the time comes, your body will start sending signals that it is the time to sleep.

5. Avoid naps

While short naps can be refreshing, long or irregular naps during the day can make it significantly harder to fall asleep at night. Naps are simply disrupting your body's internal clock.

If your sleep problems persist and significantly impact your daily life, it may be a good idea to consult a GP and get a healthcare professional help. They can identify any underlying issues and suggest appropriate solution.

Remember that improving your sleep habits might take time, so be patient with yourself as you work toward better sleep. If one strategy is not successful, try another until you find what works best for you.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya :smile:

I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling with getting to sleep early, and I understand how it can impact your life. Here are some tips that might help you improve your sleep schedule!

1. Create and implement a relaxing routine

Establish a calming routine to signal to your body that it is time to unwind. This could include activities like reading, taking a warm bath, or practicing relaxation exercises/meditation. In my case, reading is extremely effective, and it slowly puts me to sleep. In addition, high stress levels can interfere with sleep. Therefore, relaxation techniques will also be beneficial in coping with stress.

2. Limit screen time

The blue light emitted by digital devices can interfere with your body's production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep. Try to avoid screens at least an hour before bedtime.

3. Avoid stimulants

Caffeine can disrupt sleep patterns, even when you think that an energy drink does not really affect you. Try to avoid them in the hours leading up to bedtime. Also heavy meals and alcohol close to bedtime can negatively interfere with your sleep patterns.

4. Set and follow a consistent sleep schedule

Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This helps regulate your body's internal clock. When the time comes, your body will start sending signals that it is the time to sleep.

5. Avoid naps

While short naps can be refreshing, long or irregular naps during the day can make it significantly harder to fall asleep at night. Naps are simply disrupting your body's internal clock.

If your sleep problems persist and significantly impact your daily life, it may be a good idea to consult a GP and get a healthcare professional help. They can identify any underlying issues and suggest appropriate solution.

Remember that improving your sleep habits might take time, so be patient with yourself as you work toward better sleep. If one strategy is not successful, try another until you find what works best for you.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Thanks! Someone is certainly putting their specific education to good use
Reply 4
Your daily routine will help you sleep good just do some hard work in the daily life you can have very good sleep in the night..

Quick Reply

Latest