The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by vin
Theres alot of cosplayers in london I think if the turn out from many of the events down there is any indicator.:giggle: Not sure about groups as such but I imagine if your university has an anime related society that they would know.:yes:

considering that I'll be attending the LSE, of which the student population's main hobby is investment banking, somehow it seems unlikely :rolleyes:
Reply 1521
Original post by QHF
I was wondering what that thing on Knight's ear is -- just ornamentation?

I suspect so, but you never know.

On another note, Kami-sama Dolls is getting pretty good. I like how the initial premise is developing so far. :yes:
Original post by Chizuru
considering that I'll be attending the LSE, of which the student population's main hobby is investment banking, somehow it seems unlikely :rolleyes:

http://www.lsesu.com/activities/societies/society/anime/ - Took about 5 seconds to find this on Google...
I think I've hit on why I think One Piece is good so far, but haven't actually hugely enjoyed it (apart from having the OP stuck in my head for nearly three weeks straight). I guess the problem for me is that although it tells what's ostensibly a continuous story, the actual arcs are quite long considering they're not very closely tied together very strongly at the moment. If it was more episodic I think I might be getting more out of it, or if the story was less arc-based. As it is, it has a very similar pacing and feel to Yakitate!! Japan, without the limited run or laugh-a-minute approach.

Combining that problem with the fact that I know the final crew lineup, I also can't believe in any of the peril until the crew is finally assembled. With hindsight stuff like Bleach looks fairly predictable, but I had no idea where the story was going until I got there.

So... I guess I sort of agree that Bleach has poorer quality (in the anime, at least - the manga has some absolutely fantastic parts) but I still found the story more engaging by this point.

THIS HAS BEEN AN EPISODE FORTY RETROSPECTIVE. We shall see where this goes for me.

- Pips
Reply 1524
Original post by AngryJellyfish
http://www.lsesu.com/activities/societies/society/anime/ - Took about 5 seconds to find this on Google...

wow, major fail on my part, thanks lol. i hope its a decent sized society though, not one of those with only a few people XD
Reply 1525
Original post by Pippin4242

I think I've hit on why I think One Piece is good so far, but haven't actually hugely enjoyed it (apart from having the OP stuck in my head for nearly three weeks straight). I guess the problem for me is that although it tells what's ostensibly a continuous story, the actual arcs are quite long considering they're not very closely tied together very strongly at the moment. If it was more episodic I think I might be getting more out of it, or if the story was less arc-based. As it is, it has a very similar pacing and feel to Yakitate!! Japan, without the limited run or laugh-a-minute approach.

Combining that problem with the fact that I know the final crew lineup, I also can't believe in any of the peril until the crew is finally assembled. With hindsight stuff like Bleach looks fairly predictable, but I had no idea where the story was going until I got there.

So... I guess I sort of agree that Bleach has poorer quality (in the anime, at least - the manga has some absolutely fantastic parts) but I still found the story more engaging by this point.

THIS HAS BEEN AN EPISODE FORTY RETROSPECTIVE. We shall see where this goes for me.

- Pips

you're still in the early stages one piece:tongue: I think around ep 60 or so ...when they reach a certain place ... do things really start going :giggle: ... some of those arcs:cry2:
Watched the third episode of Kamisama Dolls yesterday, or today depending if it was after 0:00 at night I can't remember but it's sort of getting more exciting.
Reply 1527
up to ep 16 of Gankutsuou ...its ****ing cool :zomg:
Found out that no.6 is only going to be like 11 episodes long. How annoying, I hoped it would have been longer. :frown:
Original post by Unknown?
Found out that no.6 is only going to be like 11 episodes long. How annoying, I hoped it would have been longer. :frown:

Yeah, that's the only real drawback with the noitaminA slot... the only recent show that's gone on for two seasons is Shiki, and that didn't do very well in terms of ratings. :s:
Yeah, that's the only real drawback with the noitaminA slot... the only recent show that's gone on for two seasons is Shiki, and that didn't do very well in terms of ratings. :s:

Shiki was 2 seasons?
Shiki was 2 seasons?

22 episodes, spanning the summer and autumn seasons of 2010. :yes:
22 episodes, spanning the summer and autumn seasons of 2010. :yes:

I see, thought it was just 22 continous episodes.
Reply 1533
I see, thought it was just 22 continous episodes.

It was......it ran across the Summer and Autumn seasons, so it was two cours long. The vast majority of noitaminA shows are only a single cour long - 11episodes.
Okay does anyone have any experience in buying anime dvd's by "lf" (lambaian filem)? They are a malaysian company I believe and they seem from what I've seen a lot of anime series available and even not too recent ones like shiki. They sell them rather cheap on their site and are all region free. I've bought an anime dvd from them before which I couldn't find anywhere else and it was good but the subtitles were just a little too big for my liking hence why I'm hesitant of buying from them again.

They have their own box covers for series such as tenchi muyo and neon genesis evangelion which I haven't seen before (the box covers) so I just wonder where do they get the rights for these?
(edited 12 years ago)
They don't - they're Malaysian.

- Pips
They don't - they're Malaysian.

- Pips

I know they are malaysian. So they can just get away with copyright laws??? They seem to be authentic malaysian merchandise, if the damn subtitles weren't as big I would buy them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by caraniel
It was......it ran across the Summer and Autumn seasons, so it was two cours long. The vast majority of noitaminA shows are only a single cour long - 11episodes.

I guess it's easy enough to get confused, as many people (myself included) use 'season' and 'series' interchangeably when referring to sequels etc. :p:

Slayers Premium finally came from LOVEFiLM earlier, so I've now seen all the movies I think (only the one series, but I'll get around to the OVAs and sequels eventually). It was a fun way to spend 30 minutes, and just as amusing as the other movies, though the animation was noticeably brighter, probably as it's the newest and was produced by a different studio. :yes:
Reply 1538
Unknown?
Okay does anyone have any experience in buying anime dvd's by "lf" (lambaian filem)? They are a malaysian company I believe and they seem from what I've seen a lot of anime series available and even not too recent ones like shiki. They sell them rather cheap on their site and are all region free. I've bought an anime dvd from them before which I couldn't find anywhere else and it was good but the subtitles were just a little too big for my liking hence why I'm hesitant of buying from them again.

They have their own box covers for series such as tenchi muyo and neon genesis evangelion which I haven't seen before (the box covers) so I just wonder where do they get the rights for these?

Yeap, short answer is that they're bootlegs. Usually have crap translations (and if they're good they're probably ripped from some fansub release), and have they absolutely no legal right to distribute the material in this country.

If you want DVDs stick to the major sellers - Amazon, Play, Zavvi, HMV etc - they have the best selection of stuff that is licensed for UK release.......if not just stick to being a pirate like the rest of us, not worth blowing cash on substandard products.

AngryJellyfish
guess it's easy enough to get confused, as many people (myself included) use 'season' and 'series' interchangeably when referring to sequels etc. :p:

I'm guilty of that too, so trying to get into the habit of referring to cours instead XD
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by caraniel
Yeap, short answer is that they're bootlegs. Usually have crap translations (and if they're good they're probably ripped from some fansub release), and have they absolutely no legal right to distribute the material in this country.

If you want DVDs stick to the major sellers - Amazon, Play, Zavvi, HMV etc - they have the best selection of stuff that is licensed for UK release.......if not just stick to being a pirate like the rest of us, not worth blowing cash on substandard products.

I'm guilty of that too, so trying to get into the habit of referring to cours instead XD

Are they bootleggers. The box tin I bought from them even has a shiny holographic sticker on it? :s-smilie:

Also amazon etc are crap! :frown:

Latest