The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

well i finally watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 this morning,have to say that the battle scenes at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and Wizardly were superab and greatly edited and put together.The second part was faster than the first part,great acting by all the cast.
I especially like the battle scences between Harry and Voldermat and how the director and the rest of the production team explain Professor snapes involvement in Harry Potters life.
I just cant believe its finaly over after 10 years watching Harry Potter Franchise there isnt going to be another one.
I would have liked to find out what happen to the next Generation Of wizards and witches so maybe heres hoping J.K.Rowling decideds to write another book.:smile:
I liked the bit where all the death eaters just deserted Voldemort as soon as Hagrid dropped Harry.

''is potter dead, im not staying around to find out, you can **** right off''
Original post by Luceria
Exactly :smile:.. People in their late teens- 20's . I was 10 when it all started and I'm 20 now. Four years since DH was released on this day!

I'm glad you agree; I was worried I was going to be shot down for over thinking things XD
Reply 2283
Original post by MissSBx
My favourite scene was when the concrete knights landed on the floor and were protecting Hogwarts

my favourite scene was when two death eaters came flying in either side of arthur weasley and kingsley; then in slow motion they both nailed the death eaters. was awesome.
Reply 2284
Original post by The Anti-Hero
You're not alone with this! I mean, we grew up as the characters grew up and as the characters grew up, the plots matured too.

I mean, just the other day I compared my copy of PS with my copy of DH. The artwork, the synopsis on the back, the length of the book...
The series started as kid's light reading and developed into a complex and sophisticated story that escaped the confines of a formulaic "wizard school" story and became something much more.

If our generation has to be defined by something, I won't object to it being Potter!!

One thing i can say is that there will never be another set of books, movies etc etc like this. truly amazing. and the way the later books were delivered, as you said maturing from kids books to serious, sophisticated ones is also amazing. i hope rowling writes more because then the adventure hasnt completely ended :tongue:.....

although we still have the encyclopedia to look forward to which will give us new information on the characters and parts of the story.
Original post by Magic Dust
You're forgetting wand magic, and the fact Dumbie defeats him suggests that the wand never 'belonged' to Grindelwald.

I'm in mourning over Harry and his world :frown: I miss it so much, it's probably sad...

That wasn't the point you are supposed to take, I am sure in the books it is stated by someone that the wand does not make you unbeatable it just happens to be the most powerful. And if it never belonged to Grindlewald how can it have passed to Malfoy then Harry? It did, and Dumbledore just proved how powerful he was and that the wand is not perfect just very powerful.
Original post by SK-mar

although we still have the encyclopedia to look forward to which will give us new information on the characters and parts of the story.

I've been waiting for the "Scottish book" (as she calls it) for ages. A Harry Potter encyclopedia would be brilliant. I'm happy about Pottermore, but I really hope it's not a replacement for the Potter encyclopedia.. Haven't heard any news about that in ages. It may be ages away or never.. Eek.
Reply 2287
Original post by Luceria
I've been waiting for the "Scottish book" (as she calls it) for ages. A Harry Potter encyclopedia would be brilliant. I'm happy about Pottermore, but I really hope it's not a replacement for the Potter encyclopedia.. Haven't heard any news about that in ages. It may be ages away or never.. Eek.

yeh the 'scottish book' haha. nah im sure i read somewhere that pottermore is to open this october or something.

apparently it will shed light to many questions raised throughout the books and give a definitive biography to many of the characters.

my favourite characters aside from harry, ron and hermione are probably snape, malfoy and luna. neville and some from the order are up there too. haha i must sound so sad...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mabrookes
That wasn't the point you are supposed to take, I am sure in the books it is stated by someone that the wand does not make you unbeatable it just happens to be the most powerful. And if it never belonged to Grindlewald how can it have passed to Malfoy then Harry? It did, and Dumbledore just proved how powerful he was and that the wand is not perfect just very powerful.

But you also can't just steal a wand, you need to win it. Dumbledore did win it, and the wand chooses the wizard, so the wand picked Dumbledore over Grindlewald when he defeated him.
i dont understand is that the elder wand must win every duel then how did dumbledore beat grindlewald?
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
i dont understand is that the elder wand must win every duel then how did dumbledore beat grindlewald?

The wand wasn't Grindlewald's. It chooses the wizard, and Grindlewald stole the wand without killing it's previous owner. Dumbledore is meant to be the most skilled wizard of his age, and so the wand presumably picked him over Grindlewald.
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker

The Elder Wand has never truly been unbeatable. It's a myth like Death giving those gifts to the three brothers. It's an immensely powerful wand, yes but it's not unbeatable. In fact, it's been beaten several times and if it could not be beaten, it would not be prone to disarmings. In fact, it, or its master, has to be beaten in order to pass. Dumbledore defeated Grindlewald because he had a shade more skill whereas Grindlewald had more in terms of raw power. When Dumbledore possessed the Elder Wand, he could not defeat Voldemort at the Ministry. He only managed to hold him off with neither side winning or losing despite possessing the wand.

The wand wasn't Grindlewald's. It chooses the wizard, and Grindlewald stole the wand without killing it's previous owner. Dumbledore is meant to be the most skilled wizard of his age, and so the wand presumably picked him over Grindlewald.

The wand belonged to Grindlewald. Dumbledore could not be the true master if it were not so. It doesn't randomly pick powerful wizards as it would have switched to Voldemort in that last book if that were the case. You don't have to kill the owner to gain the wand's allegiance either. It switches with defeat or by overcoming the owner.

I'm guessing it switched to Grindlewald when he stole it because compared to the wand maker, he was a young, skilled, power-hungry wizard who managed to physically take it under the wand-maker's nose. The second wizard to ever possess the wand stole it (and killed the previous owner, but he didn't have to).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The Elder Wand has never truly been unbeatable. It's a myth like Death giving those gifts to the three brothers. It's an immensely powerful wand, yes but it's not unbeatable. In fact, it's been beaten several times and if it could not be beaten, it would not be prone to disarmings. In fact, it, or its master, has to be beaten in order to pass. Dumbledore defeated Grindlewald because he had a shade more skill whereas Grindlewald had more in terms of raw power. When Dumbledore possessed the Elder Wand, he could not defeat Voldemort at the Ministry. He only managed to hold him off with neither side winning or losing despite possessing the wand.

The wand belonged to Grindlewald. Dumbledore could not be the true master if it were not so. It doesn't randomly pick powerful wizards as it would have switched to Voldemort in that last book if that were the case. You don't have to kill the owner to gain the wand's allegiance either. It switches with defeat or by overcoming the owner.

I'm guessing it switched to Grindlewald when he stole it because compared to the wand maker, he was a young, skilled, power-hungry wizard who managed to physically take it under the wand-maker's nose. The second wizard to ever possess the wand stole it (and killed the previous owner, but he didn't have to).

About the bit in bold, I read somewhere (whether on the internet or in one of the books) that Dumbledore wasn't aiming to kill Voldemort at the Ministry but still managed to (nearly) overpower him and that the only way Voldemort survived was by possessing Harry.
Original post by Harpoon
About the bit in bold, I read somewhere (whether on the internet or in one of the books) that Dumbledore wasn't aiming to kill Voldemort at the Ministry but still managed to (nearly) overpower him and that the only way Voldemort survived was by possessing Harry.

Again though, defeat does not equate to kill. Dumbledore said killing him wouldn't satisfy him, besides he couldn't because of the horcruxes. I don't think Voldemort survived due to his possession. He escaped the suffocating ball of water and then decided to possess Harry after it was seemingly apparent he had fled.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Again though, defeat does not equate to kill. Dumbledore said killing him wouldn't satisfy him, besides he couldn't because of the horcruxes. I don't think Voldemort survived due to his possession. He escaped the suffocating ball of water and then decided to possess Harry after it was seemingly apparent he had fled.

Agreed but you stated that: "he could not defeat Voldemort at the Ministry. He only managed to hold him off with neither side winning or losing despite possessing the wand."

Whereas if Dumbledore had truely wanted to, he could have defeated Voldemort (Killed him but V would have survived due to Horcruxes)
Original post by Harpoon
Agreed but you stated that: "he could not defeat Voldemort at the Ministry. He only managed to hold him off with neither side winning or losing despite possessing the wand."

Whereas if Dumbledore had truely wanted to, he could have defeated Voldemort (Killed him but V would have survived due to Horcruxes)

We'll probably have to disagree here. In my opinion he couldn't have. Dumbledore has always been a great, venerable and more intelligent wizard than Voldemort, but Voldemort is the more skilled one (or perhaps purely in raw power) because Dumbledore has not dabbled in the magic Voldemort has, or been as far as he has. Out of choice though.
(edited 12 years ago)
I couldn't stop laughing through the film yesterday. Copious amounts of lulz were to be had all around. Best fun I've had in a while.
Reply 2297
Isn't there somewhere in the books where either Dumbledore or someone in the Order, says that Voldemort is the most powerful wizard of the age and surpasses even Dumbledore. I may however, be talking complete garbage.
But you also can't just steal a wand, you need to win it. Dumbledore did win it, and the wand chooses the wizard, so the wand picked Dumbledore over Grindlewald when he defeated him.

Gregorovitch (the person Grindlewald stole it from) was alive when Dumbledore defeated Grindlewald, if what you are saying was true the wand would not have passed to Dumbledore - it did so whatever Grindlewald did to steal it made it his (Grindlewald does stun him while stealing it).
Original post by Peachz
Isn't there somewhere in the books where either Dumbledore or someone in the Order, says that Voldemort is the most powerful wizard of the age and surpasses even Dumbledore. I may however, be talking complete garbage.

I am pretty sure no one says that, Voldermort was scared of him even though Dumbledore was becoming older and slower so I doubt anyone would suggest that. This is mentioned somewhere (about his age etc), but only in the context of him getting older not because Voldermort was more powerful - I could be wrong though and missed this.

Quick Reply

Latest