The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9560
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I think it's because my boss is pretty much afraid of computers when they go wrong. His computer was blue screening on start up yesterday so I suppose it's coming in handy having them on retainer at the moment.

To be honest, if I'd had proper access I would have sorted it myself. I hate how little control I have at work - I even have to use *shudder* IE8...

How vile. All our office uses Macs, which while bringing in its own set of problems, at least keeps my interactions with IE to a minimum. :p:
Original post by Dez
How vile. All our office uses Macs, which while bringing in its own set of problems, at least keeps my interactions with IE to a minimum. :p:

My brother uses Chrome but the boss tells him off for it - it's purely because the IT guys won't support any problems with it (like there'll be any problems with Chrome!).

I never realised how much IE hates Google Maps. It's absolutely awful and craps out IE whenever I try to zoom in. I've come close to throwing the machine out of the window in an IE rage.
Reply 9562
My brother uses Chrome but the boss tells him off for it - it's purely because the IT guys won't support any problems with it (like there'll be any problems with Chrome!).

I never realised how much IE hates Google Maps. It's absolutely awful and craps out IE whenever I try to zoom in. I've come close to throwing the machine out of the window in an IE rage.

IE is such a fail. I'm guessing since you're on version 8 that also means you're running Windows XP? :erm: I'm not sure I'd survive with that, such ancient software would piss me off to no end. Can't say it would endear to me very much for a company to expect me to write modern, well-designed websites on obsolete, unserviceable computers. Yet another reason to avoid big businesses. :h:
Original post by Dez
IE is such a fail. I'm guessing since you're on version 8 that also means you're running Windows XP? :erm: I'm not sure I'd survive with that, such ancient software would piss me off to no end. Can't say it would endear to me very much for a company to expect me to write modern, well-designed websites on obsolete, unserviceable computers. Yet another reason to avoid big businesses. :h:

Yeah, it's XP through a server. It runs what we need it to (just about), all we really need is Excel, Word, SQL Server (we do have a central server for our database), and a couple of other time/project management programs. Though we do have a bit of inequality between the software on different machines. There's some machines running Office 2007, some on Office 2003, and there's some even still running Office 2000. Dear God.
Why are so many big producers of software so bad?

I mean, I try to close adobe reader on a single page text document and it derping freezes on me? It then proceeds to do this to 4 out of the next 5 documents.

Like...pretty much any alternative to adobe reader is an improvement. The built in viewer inside IE9 is an improvement!

I simply don't understand how a company can allow a piece of software to wallow like that while competitors run rings around them. IE6,7,8 used to be another example until 9 cruised in to be actually quite nice.
Reply 9565
Original post by Chrosson

I simply don't understand how a company can allow a piece of software to wallow like that while competitors run rings around them. IE6,7,8 used to be another example until 9 cruised in to be actually quite nice.

Optimism and overconfidence. It's a bad thing, but that's what it seems to boil down to. You should see the other side in a compny somewhere, it's quite interesting to sit back and watch the inter office politics.

(I have an internship over this summer where I'm working for a medium-sized corporation, and problems arise even at that size).
Reply 9566
Original post by G8D
iTunes is bloaty as hell.

aye, but I don't use it except to sync my iPod touch and rip CDs (for now). Otherwise, I use VLC and have done with it. :biggrin:

Original post by G8D

It's demoted it's own Space on my Mac now, the only time I need to see it is to sync my iPhone. Otherwise I have iTunes controls in my menu bar and a script displaying song information on my desktop =P
Anyone here have google plus? :biggrin:
Reply 9569
Original post by blueray

Moi. It's a bit sparse, but hey ho, it's invite only, so that's not surprising. :biggrin:
Original post by Tathrim

Original post by Tathrim
Moi. It's a bit sparse, but hey ho, it's invite only, so that's not surprising. :biggrin:

Keeps it more exclusive that way :biggrin:
Original post by blueray

yus
Original post by alexsheppard11
yus

How is it?
How is it?

quiet, i don't really go on it due to many/most still posting on facebook.
Got myself a nice little hoard of tech today. A new 360 controller, some comply foam tips for my headphones, a magic mouse for my mac (Honestly Apple, the name's just cringeworthy) and some rechargeable batteries. Plus a couple of books. And lunch. God I need to start saving for uni :s-smilie:
Reply 9575
Original post by G8D

(One of) The best things about getting my new Mac was finally being able to uninstall iTunes from my desktop PC. It runs like a dog on Windows, absolutely terrible. Bit better on OS X, but I still dislike it rather a lot - and not being able to replace it easily kinda rubs salt into the wounds...
The Chrome dev channel on Lion finally has (basic) support for forward and back gestures :coma:
Reply 9577
I tried Chrome the other day. No bookmarks sidebar, so went back to Firefox. Shame really, it was much nippier, and that was the only major thing it was missing. But I browse almost exclusively using my bookmarks, I don't want them hidden away in a menu or crammed into a horizontal bar.
Original post by Dez
I tried Chrome the other day. No bookmarks sidebar, so went back to Firefox. Shame really, it was much nippier, and that was the only major thing it was missing. But I browse almost exclusively using my bookmarks, I don't want them hidden away in a menu or crammed into a horizontal bar.

I love the horizontal bar. It's pretty much all I use. I can't remember the last time I used a bookmarks sidebar. Probably when I was still using Internet Explorer at, like, 11.
:ditto: It's right there beside the URL bar and it doesn't get in the way. If it gets too crowded, I just place some nice folders on the horizontal bar.

Latest

Trending

Trending