The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Poppyxx
you just wear a dark suit for sub fusc - not a dinner suit (tuxedo).

It shouldn't be a dinner jacket and dress shirt.

As for formal events - a dinner suit would be a good addition to your wardrobe if you plan on attending any black tie functions.

Thanks, I knew I didnt need a dinner suit for sub fusc, wondered if I needed one anyway.
Original post by dbmag9

And to the people who are already students; I remember seeing a shop that with a sign advertising dinner jackets for some ridiculous low price (they also had dresses in the window, I think), near a bridge. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It could be The Ballroom - just over Magdalen Bridge

http://www.theballroomoxford.com/

seems like they may only hire out formalwear.

In the lead up to a ball there often are offers on in Oxford - Shepherd and Woodward do White Tie deals (to buy), and I know some other ball committees negotiate deals with the likes of Moss Bros.
Original post by Rosa100
Can't decide if I'm being stupid or not but have we received letter about how much accommodation and that sort of stuff is? I'm in Trinity btw. Also, what other payments like that are there? Like any other payments on our battels that arn't stuff like food?

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I don't think we get info about accommodation until we get there...or at least I haven't heard of anyone else at Trinity getting accommodation info unless they're internationals.

Also, Battels I think can be used for various things like fines, or bursaries which 'credit' a certain amount according to your battels. I guess all will become clear in october =S Even reading the finance guide I'm not exactly sure how it works...

qwertyuiop1993 is correct - you won't get any accommodation information until you turn up at the Porter's lodge on the first day and collect your keys. Your first battels statement will include accommodation (currently around £1200 a term) and is technically due by Friday of 0th week, but it's absolutely fine to e-mail the bursary and ask for an extension of a few days if your student loan hasn't come through by then. There has been at least one occasion where I'd had collections all day on Friday of 0th in either Hilary or Trinity term and completely overlooked paying my battels, and wasn't going to have an opportunity to pay them again until the following Wednesday because I was going to be in labs all day on the Monday and Tuesday, and they were still fine with that! I think there will also be a damage deposit of £150 and the cost of lunch in hall on the first day on your first battels statement.

Yes, battels are also used for bursaries and fines. When you sign up for Friday Guest Night, the cost will be charged straight to battels. You can also pay for stuff in the Beer Cellar by putting it on battels (or paying at the time with your bod card). What you don't use battels for is topping up your bod card to pay for breakfast/brunch, lunch, formal hall Sun-Thurs and Saturday self-service. However if you sign up for an evening meal (and don't sign off before midday on the day of the meal, or the day before for Guest Night) and then don't turn up, the cost of the meal will be put on your battels as a 'fine'.

I still haven't got any college grandchildren yet! *sigh* :frown:
Reply 3563
Original post by Poppyxx
It could be The Ballroom - just over Magdalen Bridge

http://www.theballroomoxford.com/

seems like they may only hire out formalwear.

In the lead up to a ball there often are offers on in Oxford - Shepherd and Woodward do White Tie deals (to buy), and I know some other ball committees negotiate deals with the likes of Moss Bros.

That's the one, thanks. :smile:
Original post by Jeykayem
qwertyuiop1993 is correct - you won't get any accommodation information until you turn up at the Porter's lodge on the first day and collect your keys. Your first battels statement will include accommodation (currently around £1200 a term) and is technically due by Friday of 0th week, but it's absolutely fine to e-mail the bursary and ask for an extension of a few days if your student loan hasn't come through by then. There has been at least one occasion where I'd had collections all day on Friday of 0th in either Hilary or Trinity term and completely overlooked paying my battels, and wasn't going to have an opportunity to pay them again until the following Wednesday because I was going to be in labs all day on the Monday and Tuesday, and they were still fine with that! I think there will also be a damage deposit of £150 and the cost of lunch in hall on the first day on your first battels statement.

Yes, battels are also used for bursaries and fines. When you sign up for Friday Guest Night, the cost will be charged straight to battels. You can also pay for stuff in the Beer Cellar by putting it on battels (or paying at the time with your bod card). What you don't use battels for is topping up your bod card to pay for breakfast/brunch, lunch, formal hall Sun-Thurs and Saturday self-service. However if you sign up for an evening meal (and don't sign off before midday on the day of the meal, or the day before for Guest Night) and then don't turn up, the cost of the meal will be put on your battels as a 'fine'.

I still haven't got any college grandchildren yet! *sigh* :frown:

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I really can't wait to get to Trinity...actually if you look on the freshers' page I am guilty of contributing a lot to the 7000 comment conversation =S

Everyone is assured a child/grandchild though, right?
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I really can't wait to get to Trinity...actually if you look on the freshers' page I am guilty of contributing a lot to the 7000 comment conversation =S

Everyone is assured a child/grandchild though, right?

Oh, that conversation! :sigh: I would ask why on Earth you guys don't all just use facebook chat instead, but I know there's something about someone eating a hat if the comment count reaches 10000, so I guess that's the answer. Fortunately I don't receive notifications about that any more because I left the group (and only then discovered facebook have introduced an 'unsubscribe' option :redface:).

Yeah, everyone should get a child. You probably won't be my grandchild unless the subject numbers don't add up somewhere along the line, but Rosa100 might be because my daughter-in-law is a biochemist. :smile:
Oh, that conversation! :sigh: I would ask why on Earth you guys don't all just use facebook chat instead, but I know there's something about someone eating a hat if the comment count reaches 10000, so I guess that's the answer. Fortunately I don't receive notifications about that any more because I left the group (and only then discovered facebook have introduced an 'unsubscribe' option :redface:).

Yeah, everyone should get a child. You probably won't be my grandchild unless the subject numbers don't add up somewhere along the line, but Rosa100 might be because my daughter-in-law is a biochemist. :smile:

I have an engineering dad and a linguist mum (though my cousin and sister are engineers =S)

Haha I think we might move it to group chat in case it's annoying loads of people... it started out as a bit of a joke which just kept going. :colondollar:
Anyway - the bet's off because someone got cold feet - the 10000 comment target doesn't really have a purpose anymore....
I have an engineering dad and a linguist mum (though my cousin and sister are engineers =S)

Haha I think we might move it to group chat in case it's annoying loads of people... it started out as a bit of a joke which just kept going. :colondollar:
Anyway - the bet's off because someone got cold feet - the 10000 comment target doesn't really have a purpose anymore....

I've just checked the marriage ballot and have worked out who your parents are. :smile:
Reply 3568

Well I don't think I'm your grandchild.. I seem to have 2 dads! But thanks for all the information. Mum keeps bugging me to do a budget and I just realised I didnt even know accommodation costs or anything!

I've just checked the marriage ballot and have worked out who your parents are. :smile:
Marriage by ballot.... only at Oxford :wink:
Original post by fluteflute
Marriage by ballot.... only at Oxford :wink:

Try Cambridge, it's marriage by bat up there...

They seem lovely :smile:

It really is a cool system of support - my friends at other unis either think it's weird or amazing.
Reply 3572

Marriage ballot? :lolwut:
Reply 3573
Original post by BJack
Marriage ballot? :lolwut:

If people aren't already college married, they can enter a ballot to be paired up for the purposes of college children.
Just got my single-sign-on set up!
Reply 3575
I can sign in!! I can sign in!! Wooo!! :smile:

I maybe a little over excited/over tired. Sorry.
I only just sent off my college contract today
Reply 3577
Original post by LtCommanderData
I only just sent off my college contract today

I STILL HAVEN'T BLOODY GOT MINE! Bloomin' German postal system. :mad:
Original post by dbmag9
If people aren't already college married, they can enter a ballot to be paired up for the purposes of college children.

Not quite the case at Trinity - everyone in first year gets paired by ballot in a JCR meeting in Trinity term, so we don't get a choice of who we marry. Since everyone gets married at the same time, there is always a hen/stag night a few days beforehand! I kind of like our system because it means there is one less thing to worry about organising, and it prevents all couples consisting of two people with very similar personalities. I get on well with my college husband, but at least if someone gets paired with someone they don't like that much, they have no reason to be left kicking themselves and wishing they'd tried to marry someone sooner, since it's just the luck of the draw!
Original post by dbmag9
I STILL HAVEN'T BLOODY GOT MINE! Bloomin' German postal system. :mad:

That's crap :frown:

Do you know when it has to get there? Mine has to be there by Thursday, so you might wanna email or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending