The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ch0llima
This bit confused me and I'm not sure quite what you mean. Which 'work function' are you talking about? What I think you're getting at is that having the salt and pepper isn't terribly helpful because you have to repeatedly run the appropriate hashing/salting solution potentially millions of times before you bruteforce the correct plaintext? :holmes: Obviously, as the hash has been salted and peppered you're looking at some crazy number of attempts...

Yep, pretty much. I only learnt about it when reading around my post, but it makes good sense. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SHA_password_hashes#Editing_.2Fetc.2Fpam.d.2Fpasswd

Additionally, blowfish appears to accept a parameter to perform additional rounds. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_(Unix)#Blowfish-based_scheme and http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/understanding-hash-functions-and-keeping-passwords-safe/ (ctrl-f "cost parameter")

I suppose in the end it depends on how competent the sysadmins are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9661
Original post by alexsheppard11
x

You still got those recordings of the PC World you went to? they've become surprisingly relevant on a Bit-Tech thread. :biggrin:
Original post by Tathrim
You still got those recordings of the PC World you went to? they've become surprisingly relevant on a Bit-Tech thread. :biggrin:

I have this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/alexsheppard11#g/c/517216970026B187
Reply 9663

Ta. Couldn't remember where you rehosted it.
Ah right so you can't leverage that much to help you encode it I guess?
Ahahahahahahahaaaarrrrgh!!!
On my third python GUI toolkit (PyQT)
Apparently it has a:
learning curve like a cliff face though.

(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3191373/what-is-the-best-python-gui-ide-toolkit-for-windows)

Fantastic.
If at first you don't succeed... give up and troll reddit :smug:
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Why is Excel so inefficient?

At work I've got a large datasheet (making the workbook about 75MB) with about 10 pivot tables - I know that this is the problem, but whenever I refresh the pivot tables, it uses the RAM, but then doesn't 'flush' it so if I refresh these tables 2 or 3 times, Excel sits hogging a good 1.2GB of RAM when in reality it's not doing anything.

Which version?

You could probably stop it from porking so much RAM if you reduce the number of available "Undo's" in settings.
Reply 9668
Original post by spikeymike
Can anyone recommend a version control system I could deploy for like project documentation and that, probably code too.

I have been using Subversion (on placement) in eclipse but not sure how I go about setting one up.

Git? there are a few good sites available for access to code. Github for one.

I've been using Perforce (on placement), but that's for internal builds, not new versions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tathrim
Git? :broken:

I've been using Perforce (on placement), but that's for internal builds, not new versions.

Mehh, I don't know how necessary it is yet. Not using Linux for sure. :colonhash:
Reply 9670
Mehh, I don't know how necessary it is yet. Not using Linux for sure. :colonhash:

SOurceforge is always an option, surely?
Original post by Mad Vlad
Which version?

You could probably stop it from porking so much RAM if you reduce the number of available "Undo's" in settings.

2007, it's the only version I have access to (that it'll work on) at work. I've tried doing that, but every time I refresh the pivot tables it uses an extra 250Mb or RAM.
Anyone know where to get app icons? Looking for a quote button, not like TSR's post quote, looking for a price quote icon.
Reply 9673
Anyone know where to get app icons? Looking for a quote button, not like TSR's post quote, looking for a price quote icon.

Draw it yourself? :holmes:
Turns out Windows can't handle having (essentially) two simultaneously booted copies of windows on the same system hard drive.

A post-mortem search of said hard drive finds an AWOL python script transplanted into the middle of a system DLL :lolwut:

Another VM bites the dust :sigh:
Original post by Dez
Draw it yourself? :holmes:

I fail at drawing graphics.
Reply 9676
Pick a font, draw a rounded box, put a quote mark in said font in said box, done. :top:

Could probably make it for you in about five minutes at £250 commission if you ask nicely. :p:
Original post by Dez
Pick a font, draw a rounded box, put a quote mark in said font in said box, done. :top:

Could probably make it for you in about five minutes at £250 commission if you ask nicely. :p:

I went for a money icon (notes) in the end. :p: Think I'll be ok for now, only a prototype.

----

Do Android phones in general have a back button when navigating like an app, or do you have to add one in the app as well? Most of the apps I have don't have back buttons within the app, so I'm guessing Android phones by default have "go back" button.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9678
Original post by Chrosson
Turns out Windows can't handle having (essentially) two simultaneously booted copies of windows on the same system hard drive.

A post-mortem search of said hard drive finds an AWOL python script transplanted into the middle of a system DLL :lolwut:

Another VM bites the dust :sigh:

Huh. That sucks.

Ah well. On to Windows 8 with me tomorrow (developer as an intern, need to start testing an app I have for my employer). I would ideally like to buy an inexpensive Windows slate due to the weight of my TouchSmart, but monies forbid that.

Out of interest, I watched the keynote in full screen on my touchsmart, and half way through I tried to make a Metro application swipe, causing the full screen to stop. :biggrin:

Finally, how do people fins having two Win OSes and one Linux OS on the same hard disk?

EDIT: virtualization isn't an option for one machine and I'd like to take advantage of the touch features on that machine.Its processor doesn't support Win 8 virtualized.
(edited 12 years ago)

Do Android phones in general have a back button when navigating like an app, or do you have to add one in the app as well? Most of the apps I have don't have back buttons within the app, so I'm guessing Android phones by default have "go back" button.

:yep:

Spoiler

Third from the left there, for example.

Have I actually posted here before or just lurked? :ninja: If the latter, :hi:

Latest

Trending

Trending