The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
Hmm, after watching episode 3 of Majikoi, I'm undecided whether it's warranted watching this series weekly. Seeing as half the episode was dedicated to Yuko Goto effectively talking to herself (admittedly amusing and great for her showreel, no doubt), with no overarching plot in sight, I just can't see this amounting to anything worthwhile. I'll give it another week before deciding.
Reply 2121
So much product placement in Summer wars.:mmm: Worse than tiger & bunny for that.:hmmm:
Reply 2122
HxH ep 3. Finally getting interesting. :biggrin: I haven't watched the old version, but I actually thought Gon is the disqualified applicant (no spoilers if he is) because I thought he has lost his number badge. XD And the 4th member is finally here too!

Gintama ep 230. Some hints of fan service for yaoi fan girls like me. Haha. Very suggestive lines in there, but of course they made it into a joke. Typical one shot story again:

Spoiler

Not sure if there's an Edward Scissorhands reference here, but most likely so. :biggrin:
Just watched Furi Kuri or better yet known as Fooly Cooly or FLCL or whatever you want to call it. That was... Intensely, random and mind-bogglingly awesome. I loved it. Thank you Gainax, keep making the quality mind-benders. :yep:

Now just waiting for Evangelion 3.33 :coma:
Reply 2124
Original post by Facticity
Just watched Furi Kuri or better yet known as Fooly Cooly or FLCL or whatever you want to call it. That was... Intensely, random and mind-bogglingly awesome. I loved it. Thank you Gainax, keep making the quality mind-benders. :yep:

Consider watching Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, it should appease if you liked Furi Kuri's mind-bending antics. :giggle:

Edit:

Figured I'd mention that I'm currently reading Suehiro Maruo's Panorama Toukitan. If any of you are familiar with his work, you'll know that his chosen subject matter is often controversial and explicit, and this latest offering is no exception. However, to its credit, it's wonderfully written and drawn (Maruo's artwork is particularly noteworthy). Whenever I read something like this, I'm reminded of why I love the medium of manga; its level of creative freedom that is rarely seen in anime (too much red tape).
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Aiko
Consider watching Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, it should appease if you liked Furi Kuri's mind-bending antics. :giggle:

Edit:

Figured I'd mention that I'm currently reading Suehiro Maruo's Panorama Toukitan. If any of you are familiar with his work, you'll know that his chosen subject matter is often controversial and explicit, and this latest offering is no exception. However, to its credit, it's wonderfully written and drawn (Maruo's artwork is particularly noteworthy). Whenever I read something like this, I'm reminded of why I love the medium of manga; its level of creative freedom that is rarely seen in anime (too much red tape).

I shall check out all of those thanks, sounds like good material. I am not familiar with Suehiro Maruo however I shall check that out but, when you say explicit, what do you mean? Explicit in graphical content i.e. violence and horror or body or do you mean like nudity?
And I certainly agree about manga, that is why I read so much of it and have often gone away from watching the anime of a series to reading the manga solely as I just find the art a lot more styled and the content to be a lot more creative. :yep:
Reply 2126
Explicit in graphical content i.e. violence and horror or body or do you mean like nudity?

Both. :tongue:

And I certainly agree about manga, that is why I read so much of it and have often gone away from watching the anime of a series to reading the manga solely as I just find the art a lot more styled and the content to be a lot more creative. :yep:

Agreed. :smile:

On a side note, I still have yet to watch the first episode of Persona, but will get around to it tonight and relay my thoughts here after. :tongue:
I started Level E yesterday; fantastic first three episodes, but so far the rest have been unable to achieve the same level of brilliance (though I'm only on episode 8 of 13, so there's room for at least one more 'arc' I'm guessing). The prince isn't getting enough screentime, I'd rather watch him mess with his subordinates and Yukitaka for 13 eps! :p:
Reply 2128
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I started Level E yesterday; fantastic first three episodes, but so far the rest have been unable to achieve the same level of brilliance (though I'm only on episode 8 of 13, so there's room for at least one more 'arc' I'm guessing). The prince isn't getting enough screentime, I'd rather watch him mess with his subordinates and Yukitaka for 13 eps! :p:

My sentiments exactly; shame, really, your proposition would have been highly enjoyable. :tongue:
Reply 2129

Be interesting if you find it the same- sometimes we seem to share a particular wavelength :mmm: Found the first arc really interesting...and then by and large it just went meh. There were one or two episodes that were amusing, but after the switch in tone it never lived up to my expectations :nyoron:

(Of course I hadn't done any research into the series, so didn't know it's true nature)

Original post by Aiko
Both. :tongue:

Aha, I see. Well, I'll see for myself then shall I :beard:

Agreed. :smile:

On a side note, I still have yet to watch the first episode of Persona, but will get around to it tonight and relay my thoughts here after. :tongue:

Please do. It should be interesting to see what you think :tongue:
Reply 2131
Aha, I see. Well, I'll see for myself then shall I :beard:

It has to be said, his subject matter is an acquired taste (an understatement), you either appreciate and - for the lack of a better word - "get" what he's trying to achieve or not at all.

Please do. It should be interesting to see what you think :tongue:

Will do, I'll probably watch the opening and second episode. :smile:
Reply 2132
Just watched Ika Musume 4 and the first two episodes of Oreimo today. Ika, as always was a riot.

Oreimo is pretty enjoyable as well. Not going to lie, Kirino is pretty much waifu material... So far.

2 more days until Macross Frontier movie 2 gets released/shipped on BD. Can't wait.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2133

The first three episodes were the best. I would have been happy if they ended with that. For such an annoying character, the Prince was highly likeable. Haha. Do watch it until the end though. :smile:
Reply 2134
The first three eps of Level E were very good.:yep: Although I did like the rest, they wernt as fun since the prince wasnt in them nearly as much.:s-smilie: And the last arc felt like a bit of a rush and an odd way to end it.:s-smilie: So it never really reached the heights it did initially.:s-smilie:
So far I'm enjoying Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. It must be liek the funniest anime ever :awesome: Currently up to episode 4.

Also, having read the Mirai Nikki manga and really enjoyed it, I'm following the anime too. So far, I think the voice acting and animation really adds to it.
Reply 2136
Of the current season watched Guilty Crown and Last Exile at animoo today. Was very impressed with guilty crown. Reminded me a bit of the first ep of code geass. The animation was very good :shock: figured it must have one of the biggest budgets of the season.:beard: Definitely gonna watch more of this.

The new Last Exile had a lot to live up to. I did like watching it and especially liked the inclusion of the head in the clouds song from the first series OST.:biggrin: Didnt like the OP song all that much:s-smilie: the one from the first series was just so much better.:erm: Many of the characters seemed quite young, wheras the previous series had like 3 young characters in the world of adults on that ship.:beard: Although there was a nice big fleet of ships, I didnt think the animation had improved all that much.:erm: All those cg ships and explosions did stick out against those clouds and the characters.:s-smilie: I guess given gonzo's financial trouble this was sort of to be expected.:s-smilie: But to make another comparison with the first series :awesome: ... that had a first ep with men on the decks of ships shooting at the enemy and being shot at ... all whilst flying thousands of meters in the sky ..so yep there was more of an impact from that battle ...but then i guess this first one wasnt really a proper battle since there was only one Turan ship:beard: still it was pretty good.:yep: Good to see Dio back and doing his own thing.:biggrin: Thought that grey haired one eyed man might be an older him from the promo pics.:beard: So yeah I couldnt help but compare that with the first Last Exile series.:erm: However I still found it to be an enjoyable ep and will also be watching this.:h: ..but then I decided that before I watched the ep.:mmm:

sorry for that ramble.:getmecoat:
Reply 2137
Original post by vin
Of the current season watched Guilty Crown and Last Exile at animoo today. Was very impressed with guilty crown. Reminded me a bit of the first ep of code geass. The animation was very good :shock: figured it must have one of the biggest budgets of the season.:beard: Definitely gonna watch more of this.

The new Last Exile had a lot to live up to. I did like watching it and especially liked the inclusion of the head in the clouds song from the first series OST.:biggrin: Didnt like the OP song all that much:s-smilie: the one from the first series was just so much better.:erm: Many of the characters seemed quite young, wheras the previous series had like 3 young characters in the world of adults on that ship.:beard: Although there was a nice big fleet of ships, I didnt think the animation had improved all that much.:erm: All those cg ships and explosions did stick out against those clouds and the characters.:s-smilie: I guess given gonzo's financial trouble this was sort of to be expected.:s-smilie: But to make another comparison with the first series :awesome: ... that had a first ep with men on the decks of ships shooting at the enemy and being shot at ... all whilst flying thousands of meters in the sky ..so yep there was more of an impact from that battle ...but then i guess this first one wasnt really a proper battle since there was only one Turan ship:beard: still it was pretty good.:yep: Good to see Dio back and doing his own thing.:biggrin: Thought that grey haired one eyed man might be an older him from the promo pics.:beard: So yeah I couldnt help but compare that with the first Last Exile series.:erm: However I still found it to be an enjoyable ep and will also be watching this.:h: ..but then I decided that before I watched the ep.:mmm:

sorry for that ramble.:getmecoat:

Not sure about watching this, know you compared it to the first series in a lot of aspects here & it's nice to see what's improved & what hasn't :yep: but other than 'more Dio :woo:' there's nothing drawing me to watch this new series, what's the plot like so far? :hmmmm:
Reply 2138
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Not sure about watching this, know you compared it to the first series in a lot of aspects here & it's nice to see what's improved & what hasn't :yep: but other than 'more Dio :woo:' there's nothing drawing me to watch this new series, what's the plot like so far? :hmmmm:

Hard to say really since its the first ep and seemed more of an introduction really.:hmmmm: But they imply that this big war between these two countries is coming.:beard: Id recommend watching this first ep to see for yourself.:yep:
Reply 2139
Original post by vin
Hard to say really since its the first ep and seemed more of an introduction really.:hmmmm: But they imply that this big war between these two countries is coming.:beard: Id recommend watching this first ep to see for yourself.:yep:

Ah merci :cute: will go check it out soon then :yep:

Latest