The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
As you're fully aware, Vin-kin, I've been meaning to respond to this post for some time, so here we go... :tongue:

Original post by vin
Of the current season watched Guilty Crown and Last Exile at animoo today. Was very impressed with guilty crown. Reminded me a bit of the first ep of code geass. The animation was very good :shock: figured it must have one of the biggest budgets of the season.:beard: Definitely gonna watch more of this.

Not much to add that I haven't already mentioned in my previous post regarding this series only that I agree. :yes:

The new Last Exile had a lot to live up to. I did like watching it and especially liked the inclusion of the head in the clouds song from the first series OST.:biggrin: Didnt like the OP song all that much:s-smilie: the one from the first series was just so much better.:erm: Many of the characters seemed quite young, wheras the previous series had like 3 young characters in the world of adults on that ship.:beard: Although there was a nice big fleet of ships, I didnt think the animation had improved all that much.:erm: All those cg ships and explosions did stick out against those clouds and the characters.:s-smilie: I guess given gonzo's financial trouble this was sort of to be expected.:s-smilie: But to make another comparison with the first series :awesome: ... that had a first ep with men on the decks of ships shooting at the enemy and being shot at ... all whilst flying thousands of meters in the sky ..so yep there was more of an impact from that battle ...but then i guess this first one wasnt really a proper battle since there was only one Turan ship:beard: still it was pretty good.:yep: Good to see Dio back and doing his own thing.:biggrin: Thought that grey haired one eyed man might be an older him from the promo pics.:beard: So yeah I couldnt help but compare that with the first Last Exile series.:erm: However I still found it to be an enjoyable ep and will also be watching this.:h: ..but then I decided that before I watched the ep.:mmm:

sorry for that ramble.:getmecoat:

I'm undecided at the moment. What I liked about the original Last Exile was how original and different it was from everything else I had watched before. There simply isn't enough steampunk anime (neither then nor now), which made Last Exile all the more distinguishable. Whereas, although this second season was engaging to watch, and the animation impressive (even though I agree that the CG did seem misplaced on occasion, but not jarringly so), it was almost as if this second season is trying to live off the success of its first. I can appreciate that it's incredibly important for Gonzo that this series is a success, both in terms of television ratings and subsequent DVD sales, and given that Last Exile was one of their greatest successes, it's only natural that they'd choose to produce a second season when the studio is still in limbo regarding its future. I would still say they've succeeded, because it certainly wasn't a bad episode and probably one of the best of this autumn season, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it offered us all of the bells and whistles without any real substance in regard to the plot. I'm also not completely convinced of the new characters they've decided to add. They're reasonably likeable, but a part of me can't help but feel that Gonzo is pandering to its audience by including a bunch of cute girls who all possess archetypical personalities that are usually popular, with Dio to boot for extra measure (as he was one of the more popular characters in the first).

Not to give the wrong impression, though, I do accept that I'm basing all of these concerns regarding the plot on the first episode. I'm sure it'll come together sooner than later, likely in the second. Looking at the staff, everyone from the first season is back for this, barring the scriptwriter, of whom hasn't been responsible for anything noteworthy, quite the opposite which is a little worrying. Have to wait and see. :tongue:
Reply 2161
Original post by Aiko
As you're fully aware, Vin-kin, I've been meaning to respond to this post for some time, so here we go... :tongue:
what took you so long:unimpressed:

Not much to add that I haven't already mentioned in my previous post regarding this series only that I agree. :yes:

I'm undecided at the moment. What I liked about the original Last Exile was how original and different it was from everything else I had watched before. There simply isn't enough steampunk anime (neither then nor now), which made Last Exile all the more distinguishable. Whereas, although this second season was engaging to watch, and the animation impressive (even though I agree that the CG did seem misplaced on occasion, but not jarringly so), it was almost as if this second season is trying to live off the success of its first. I can appreciate that it's incredibly important for Gonzo that this series is a success, both in terms of television ratings and subsequent DVD sales, and given that Last Exile was one of their greatest successes, it's only natural that they'd choose to produce a second season when the studio is still in limbo regarding its future. I would still say they've succeeded, because it certainly wasn't a bad episode and probably one of the best of this autumn season, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it offered us all of the bells and whistles without any real substance in regard to the plot. I'm also not completely convinced of the new characters they've decided to add. They're reasonably likeable, but a part of me can't help but feel that Gonzo is pandering to its audience by including a bunch of cute girls who all possess archetypical personalities that are usually popular, with Dio to boot for extra measure (as he was one of the more popular characters in the first).

Not to give the wrong impression, though, I do accept that I'm basing all of these concerns regarding the plot on the first episode. I'm sure it'll come together sooner than later, likely in the second. Looking at the staff, everyone from the first season is back for this, barring the scriptwriter, of whom hasn't been responsible for anything noteworthy, quite the opposite which is a little worrying. Have to wait and see. :tongue:

At this stage it doesnt look like they're about to all pander to those that buy stuff too much :tongue:. Oh man if they do ...if all those young characters have eps where they sit around and drink tea.:mad: ..no i dont think that will happen. They arnt going to crap all over one of their best series like that.:giggle:
As amazing as Gintama is, this weeks was the best episode I've seen in a while. If I wasn't ill, I would've been laughing my **** off.
Reply 2163
Watched the first ep of towa no quon. Was quite impressed.:smile: Especially by those fights.:shock: And those cyborg types on motorbikes which then became unicycles.:shock:
Reply 2164
Original post by HilariousNinja
As amazing as Gintama is, this weeks was the best episode I've seen in a while. If I wasn't ill, I would've been laughing my **** off.

I was reminded by that to watch this week's episode. God, you're right, it's hilarious. Episodes like this makes me glad I don't watch all episodes of Gintama with my sister, though. :tongue:
Next week's episode(s) is gonna be an arc I think. The story behind Elizabeth!

Episode 4 of HxH. Got some background from Leorio and Kurapika. :smile: Although I'm still wondering what the hell happened last week when they said one of the applicants were already disqualified. Did I miss something?
I'm making slow progress with Jungle Taitei/Kimba the White Lion, once again because its pretty long and episodic. Its fun, though far from a must see unless you're watching it purely for the historic importance like I am (it was the first TV anime to be in colour). The dub isn't great, but 1960s bad voice acting is far more endearing than recent attempts. :giggle: Animation is basic, and looks alright most of the time, but also has its... endearing moments. :p:

Reply 2166
Original post by AngryJellyfish

I haven't really been in an anime mood these last few days. I have the various episodes to watch, but can't be bothered :nyoron:
Reply 2167
Finally commie subs for Last exile :unimpressed:
Original post by vin
Finally commie subs for Last exile :unimpressed:

Not liking SFWhine's releases? They made a few mistakes first time around (thinking Claudia was the name of a ship etc), but they've corrected all that in their subs for episode 2 (and released a v2 for the first). Didn't notice any obvious mistakes. :nah:
Reply 2169

Not liking SFWhine's releases? They made a few mistakes first time around (thinking Claudia was the name of a ship etc), but they've corrected all that in their subs for episode 2 (and released a v2 for the first). Didn't notice any obvious mistakes. :nah:

tried their release of ep one but it lagged at times for some reason.:s-smilie: The commie was completely fine though.

EDIT: The food ep of galactic heroes.:sad: A smart plan but with harsh consequences for those caught in the middle.:s-smilie:

strange increase in quality in ep 15:lolwut: and then back to how it was before for 16.:hmmmm2: Both eps were dvd version though and not the vhs/laserdisc avi rips i had for earlier eps :beard:
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally got round to watching Eden of the East the other night. I always knew there were mixed reviews, especially about the ending, but I actually really enjoyed the series!
I'm not one for writing reviews, so I'm not going to bother, especially since I bet most here have seen it. The very end was indeed a tad disappointing in terms of questions unanswered...
That aside, I thought the rest was really good.

I also watched No. 6 today. Did anyone else get the feeling it was going to turn yaoi? I kinda thought that it was a little overdramatic in parts (angsty teenagers ahoy!), and I wasn't a fan of the soundtrack. I still enjoyed it though, because you CAN'T go wrong with a character like Nezumi!
The opening theme tune was pretty awful though...
I was actually going to watch Phantom today, but part way through the first episode, I left because something was on TV, and I really didn't really grab me enough for me to carry on. It seemed so... standard.

Lol, this is the most anime I've watched all year. I really got out of the loop to be honest... but that's partly because I don't like watching ongoing series'. I like to watch things in one go, so I usually wait.
Original post by C.O.Z.industries
Finally got round to watching Eden of the East the other night. I always knew there were mixed reviews, especially about the ending, but I actually really enjoyed the series!
I'm not one for writing reviews, so I'm not going to bother, especially since I bet most here have seen it. The very end was indeed a tad disappointing in terms of questions unanswered...
That aside, I thought the rest was really good.

I also watched No. 6 today. Did anyone else get the feeling it was going to turn yaoi? I kinda thought that it was a little overdramatic in parts (angsty teenagers ahoy!), and I wasn't a fan of the soundtrack. I still enjoyed it though, because you CAN'T go wrong with a character like Nezumi!
The opening theme tune was pretty awful though...
I was actually going to watch Phantom today, but part way through the first episode, I left because something was on TV, and I really didn't really grab me enough for me to carry on. It seemed so... standard.

Lol, this is the most anime I've watched all year. I really got out of the loop to be honest... but that's partly because I don't like watching ongoing series'. I like to watch things in one go, so I usually wait.

I'm one of those who didn't really like Eden of the East, but I loved the OP for No.6 (and the series in general wasn't bad, despite its flaws). :p:

As for Phantom, can't speak for the OVA, but personally thought the TV series started well at least before descending into a very weak second half. :s:
Guilty crown looks highly promising :biggrin: The same producers as Deathnote and Code Geass so hopefully :teeth:
Reply 2173
Hmmm watched ep one of mirrai nikki ...thought it was supposed to be a comedy :mmm: so imagine my surprise when it clearly wasnt. But it was a nice surprise.:h: Was quite impressed, wouldnt mind watching more.:beard: Dont think id be able to watch another series atm.:s-smilie: Also watched the first ep of persona, wasnt really sure what to make of it, I think I would have liked it more if I knew the game. Wont be following it but it did make me want to try the game.:beard:
Reply 2174
I just saw the preview chart for the next season (apparently). Was too small to make out the descriptions :nyoron: But from the looks of it, I'll choose even fewer things next season. Might help with the eternal backlog :yes:
Currently watching Serial Experiments Lain. I'm on episode 4 and there is just NO pace whatsoever! I mean, it's strangely creepy and kinda entrancing so I'm definitely going to carry on with it, especially since I know it won awards, I'm hoping something actually HAPPENS sometime soon.
twas quite a good naruto filler ep :colondollar: :cry2:

Original post by C.O.Z.industries
Currently watching Serial Experiments Lain. I'm on episode 4 and there is just NO pace whatsoever! I mean, it's strangely creepy and kinda entrancing so I'm definitely going to carry on with it, especially since I know it won awards, I'm hoping something actually HAPPENS sometime soon.

keep watching, it gets good :yep:
Reply 2177
Just finished Steins; Gate. Amazingly well done series in comparison to Chaos; Head :nutcase:
Reply 2178
Original post by Keoje

Original post by Keoje
Just finished Steins; Gate. Amazingly well done series in comparison to Chaos; Head :nutcase:

chaos head doesnt deserve to get mentioned in the same sentance:no:
Reply 2179
The song from the dragon pink ED in Galactic heroes.:nutcase:

...no I dont know its actual name, and yes I am imagining her singing along to this battle.:sad:

Latest