The Student Room Group

Racism on the Tram!!! Appalling!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PendulumBoB
I would say that white guilt is more ingrained in society (certainly when it comes to employment); employers can and do now turn whites away because a certain ethnic minority is underrepresented in the business

Prove it.

Here's a handy study showing that CVs with 'white' names were vastly better received than one's with 'black' names. It was done in America but our society isn't so different.
http://www.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mullainathan/files/emilygreg.pdf

Oh and here's a similar thing done in the UK - http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gnobe
Lots of people agree with me. We need to change it so theres no overall racial control. America's heading this way so I don't see why we can't. IMO it would be quite tragic if it doesn't happen. :frown:

But we are getting a 591000 new immigrants a year, plus non whites are having higher birth rates plus many whites are having children with non whites (namely white women and black men and this will increase). So yeah I think its ok. :smile:

Why is this a good thing? White does race matter? This is the essence of Marxism, the destruction of the old order.

Look outside Europe and North America and you'll see just how intolerant a non-white society will be.
Every group of people in the world with the exception of Western European whites stick together, it's natural for similar people to favour each other (generally speaking). The only reason whites don't stick together is because of what can only be described as soft Marxist brain washing; for the record I would be happy if nobody stuck together and just treated everyone equally, but his just isn't the case.

No just no, thats a horrific theory, but i cba explaining such a simple thing to you. You know nothing about this at all.
Original post by blu tack
Prove it.

Here's a handy study showing that CVs with 'white' names were vastly better received than one's with 'black' names. It was done in America but our society isn't so different.
http://www.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mullainathan/files/emilygreg.pdf

America is very different. In the UK class divides people in the US it's race.
Original post by DontJudge
No just no, thats a horrific theory, but i cba explaining such a simple thing to you. You know nothing about this at all.

Which bit is horrific?

Every group of people in the world with the exception of Western European whites stick together, it's natural for similar people to favour each other (generally speaking). The only reason whites don't stick together is because of what can only be described as soft Marxist brain washing; for the record I would be happy if nobody stuck together and just treated everyone equally, but his just isn't the case.

Erm, whites do generally stick together no more than Japanese in Japan stick together.

I've just edited with a similar study done in the UK-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
*waits to see pendulumBoB post*

*reads inevitable pendulumbob post*
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay I thought you were vaguely sensible but evidently not.
ALL white people are privileged in this country. This doesn't mean they don't occasionally experience prejudice, but to say that their (our) situation is worse than ethnic minorities is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

I live amongst white middle class people and far from having a hatred of foreigners they love them, they feel that white culture is boring and their views on race range from a colourblind society :smile: to a society which favours ethnic minorities because of how racist the white man apparently is :frown:.

^ Are you psychic?
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Erm, whites do generally stick together no more than Japanese in Japan stick together.

Japan is very isolationist.

1 in 7 people are in an interracial marriage there. It will probably head for a multiracial majority in a couple of hundred years like Brazil.
Original post by Sharpshooter
1 in 7 people are in an interracial marriage there. It will probably head for a multiracial majority in a couple of hundred years like Brazil.

Brazil is a great country, because there is so little emphasis on race.
I live amongst white middle class people and far from having a hatred of foreigners they love them, they feel that white culture is boring and their views on race range from a colourblind society :smile: to a society which favours ethnic minorities because of how racist the white man apparently is :frown:.

^ Are you psychic?

I have never said all white people are racist. I maintain that white people hold a position of privilege in this country and that ethnic minorities are discriminated against far more than white people are. That should be obvious, frankly.
Brazil is a great country, because there is so little emphasis on race.

Exactly, so what Gnobe was saying was true. If we achieve to aim towards a society like that maybe we will get it eventually with a liberal immigration policy.
Perhaps, but people's perception of whites as somehow being favoured by society (which is not the case), makes them easy targets in white minority areas. In such as Tower Hamlets, whites are the minority and so are more likely to be victimised as people believe they are given special treatment by society, furthermore the fact that whites don't stick together makes them even more vulnerable. Now you could argue that an Asian living in a white middle class part of the country would experience racism as well, and whilst it's possible, the worst thing they're likely to experience is some patronising middle class nincompoop telling them, "how wonderful Asian culture is, with all the fancy colours (by colours they mean colourful dresses) and how boring English food is in comparison with Asian food" before mispronouncing a load of Urdu/Arabic words they picked up whilst, 'out broadening their knowledge of the world'.

They are not. They make up 56.3% of the population, of which 46.9% are White British. The next biggest ethnic group are the Bangladeshi which are even less than half of the white population at 22.1%.
I have never said all white people are racist. I maintain that white people hold a position of privilege in this country and that ethnic minorities are discriminated against far more than white people are. That should be obvious, frankly.

How is it obvious that white people hold a position of privilege in this country?
Which bit is horrific?

all of it. Also i accidently positive repped you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smack
How is it obvious that white people hold a position of privilege in this country?

The question is, how isn't it.
Original post by Smack

Have a look at the white privilege checklist--
http://www.fpg.unc.edu/~scpp/pdfs/whiteprivilegechecklist.pdf
Original post by DontJudge
The question is, how isn't it.

If it was obvious you would quickly be able to point to examples rather than having to make patronising statements. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending