The Student Room Group

Why is LSE so good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
We are discussing undergraduate admission

Gmat has nothing to do with it

get your facts straight, people can listen and understand if explained properly you know

Before making yourself a laughing stock at least read what the thread is about

"Why LSE is so good"

of course I read, did you?
And, did you read what I wrote?
Original post by street.lovin'
Do you think it is that easy to get A*AA ?
It's also about strong personaly statement, general knowledge shown on there.
It is not easy to get in, many people got accepted from Oxbridge but rejected from LSE. :dontknow:
Does it mean it is easier to get in Oxbridge? NO.

Getting into Oxbridge and LSE are all subjected to their decisions. One accepts by Oxbridge does not means he will be accepted by LSE. And vice versa.

All of them are tops. You are all good by taking any one of them.
Original post by und
Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?

Yes, and it is only the starting. They could have chances to make tons of money there. No other majors including medicine and law can compare.
Original post by zxh800
No, justify your view for yourself. Whoever LSE accept, by the time they graduate they are highly employable individuals, hence LSE has a good reputation. If the quality of LSE graduates was bad, then employers would not rate LSE as highly as they currently do. So clearly, not interviewing, has no bearing on the quality of graduates LSE produce.

One of the main reasons is that even if you get admittance by LSE, not like other colleges, LSE will definitely say bye-bye and send you back home if you fail in the school year exam. You do not need to take any other exam in LSE. Only one time one year every year. No 2nd chance.

Everyone needs to continue study harder to perform well in LSE. This is why LSE could ensure thier student guality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Milan.
so far:
the teachings bad
lecturers aren't amazing (apart from econ)
a lot of us probably dont like our course or aren't there to learn economics and just want a job in the end
but oh well
we have fun, the social retard bit isn't true
anyone that can survive the 3 years and do well in their degree at LSE is definitely clever and would do well in the working world
yes its probably true, lse churns out bankers and lawyers and accountants etc. but not every university student can end up in research into their subject or teaching their subject... and most oxbridge students end up in the same places as LSE students, so in the end everyones the same

Edit: oh and from 2010 every LSE student learns about current affairs, the world, what causes... and crap like that in a compulsary module...

Per mentioned, do not think one could be free when get into LSE. Very competitive students and demanding lecturers. LSE do say bye-bye to one who fails in exam. And the exam only hold one time one year.

Study hard.
Original post by street.lovin'
Do you think it is that easy to get A*AA ?
It's also about strong personaly statement, general knowledge shown on there.
It is not easy to get in, many people got accepted from Oxbridge but rejected from LSE. :dontknow:
Does it mean it is easier to get in Oxbridge? NO.

Yeah i have heard that LSE is actually harder to get into than Oxbridge. I know of a couple people who got into Cambridge but not LSE.
Original post by stephenchanhk
One of the main reasons is that even if you get admittance by LSE, not like other colleges, LSE will definitely say bye-bye and send you back home if you fail in the school year exam. You do not need to take any other exam in LSE. Only one time one year every year. No 2nd chance.

Everyone needs to continue study harder to perform well in LSE. This is why LSE could ensure thier student guality.

Really? for undergrads? They don't do resits or even rustications?
Original post by Computerised
Really? for undergrads? They don't do resits or even rustications?

Yes for undergrads. Don't go LSE if one wants a free school. The LSE international students are bidding each others.

And yes one could feel good if he / she believes he / she could bid those from Mainland China, Taiwan and India.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by stephenchanhk
Per mentioned, do not think one could be free when get into LSE. Very competitive students and demanding lecturers. LSE do say bye-bye to one who fails in exam. And the exam only hold one time one year.

Study hard.

they dont kick you out if you fail exam
you have to redo the year if you fail 2 or more though
Reply 89
Original post by und
Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?

We don't get out of bed for anything less than a £100k salary.
Original post by Nation
Have you ever been to an interview? You can't fake who you are in an interview, no way.

Having actually been in two Cambridge interviews, I can safely say that you can.

I spent the week before my interview learning about current affairs. I energetically discussed these current affairs with my interviewer exhibiting my "passion" for the economic forces that drive the world around me.

Following my interview, I have not watched the news once, nor have I picked up a copy of the Economist. I stopped listening to economics pod casts, and all the stuff I lied about doing prior to my interview.

You can definitely fake it.
Original post by Nation
I mean, seriously - they DONT interview, meaning anyone who doesn't even have an interest in the course could just write it in words and have a good chance assuming they have the grades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmHfMKHuY8

I didn't know this until I watched that video and was shocked, LSE is suppose to be one of the best ever yet it doesn't bloody interview?! So basically anyone who is a social retard, can't speak to anyone and witht he worst personal qualities and traits can get into LSE? For the top courses like Medicine, you undergo some killer interview procedure yet LSE doesn't give fudge all about the acutal people.

Therefore, I value Oxbridge and any other university who interview for the 'same' course at LSE to be far more better.

Can anyone justify this for me?

What do you even mean by "social retards"? Oxbridge interviews don't filter these people out.

Admissions tutors aren't looking for people with social skills! Some Oxbridge colleges only offer subject interviews - how on earth would these differentiate social retards from paragons of social aptitude?

Furthermore, my Cambridge interview was laughably easy. They placed a huge emphasis on my GRADES. One of my interview questions was:

I have an equal chance of hitting anywhere on a dart board with radius 9. What's the probability of hitting the bull's eye with radius 3?

Cambridge research has shown that UMS correlates very strongly with your final degree classification. For subjects like economics, at least, interviews are no longer that important. (Note: this does vary from college to college)
Reply 92
Hi people!
I have perhaps another slant on the question, whilst I think lse cannot be denied the title of great university, do you think the lse will continue to grow stronger or do you get the impression that's it will falter in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending