The Student Room Group

C4 (Not MEI) - Thursday June 21 2012, PM

How are people getting on with their revision? I've got 22 past papers printed out, so I've got a lot to get on with. Done 3, will be doing another tomorrow.

What's everyone's favourite/least favourite areas?

I'm quite liking vectors at the moment, especially the ones that need 'thinking outside the box'. And integration - trig <3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got every Jan paper since 2006 printed out and ready to go! Need 90 UMS in this exam for the A*, looks a million miles away right now. I'm enjoying Vectors at the minute but haven't really come across any 'outside the box' questions. Really disliking Parametric and Differential equations - but there's a long way to go yet. Best of luck with revision and I reckon anybody with questions they're finding challenging should upload them here and see if we can help (to the best of our abilities!).
Original post by Choppyy
Got every Jan paper since 2006 printed out and ready to go! Need 90 UMS in this exam for the A*, looks a million miles away right now. I'm enjoying Vectors at the minute but haven't really come across any 'outside the box' questions. Really disliking Parametric and Differential equations - but there's a long way to go yet. Best of luck with revision and I reckon anybody with questions they're finding challenging should upload them here and see if we can help (to the best of our abilities!).

I take it you got 90 in C3 then?

Try Jan '12, there were some nasty questions there. We did it as a mock today and one question threw me, although I got an answer eventually. Looks right after checking the mark scheme. I don't have the paper on me at the moment but I can see that I've made loads of mistakes on other questions, not too sure how as from what I can tell the methods were fine... :s-smilie:

If you find any parametric/differential that you don't like, I could have a go? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I take it you got 90 in C3 then?

Try Jan '12, there were some nasty questions there. We did it as a mock today and one question threw me, although I got an answer eventually. Looks right after checking the mark scheme. I don't have the paper on me at the moment but I can see that I've made loads of mistakes on other questions, not too sure how as from what I can tell the methods were fine... :s-smilie:

If you find any parametric/differential that you don't like, I could have a go? :smile:

Yes got 90 back in Jan! C4 is a bit daunting for me at the minute, as the Jan 2012 exam that my college's advanced set did led to a very mixed bag of results. If I can find the question I'll let you know, think its the last part of question 8 from June 07 on parametrics that I didn't understand (something about normals from memory). What do you need in C4?
Original post by Choppyy
Yes got 90 back in Jan! C4 is a bit daunting for me at the minute, as the Jan 2012 exam that my college's advanced set did led to a very mixed bag of results. If I can find the question I'll let you know, think its the last part of question 8 from June 07 on parametrics that I didn't understand (something about normals from memory). What do you need in C4?

Haha, exactly 90%, nice one. Yeah, Jan's exam was nasty. I spent far too long on one question because I didn't notice that the denominator was just a rearrangement of another equation, and I managed to make a mistake on the volume of revolution question because I decided that sin(pi/2)=0. :s-smilie:
Haven't started that paper yet but at the rate I'm going it'll be done soon.

My firm wants A*AA, so I need 80 (got 100 in C3 somehow) and my insurance is AAB which I need about 20 for. What degree are you going for?
Reply 5
Haha, exactly 90%, nice one. Yeah, Jan's exam was nasty. I spent far too long on one question because I didn't notice that the denominator was just a rearrangement of another equation, and I managed to make a mistake on the volume of revolution question because I decided that sin(pi/2)=0. :s-smilie:
Haven't started that paper yet but at the rate I'm going it'll be done soon.

My firm wants A*AA, so I need 80 (got 100 in C3 somehow) and my insurance is AAB which I need about 20 for. What degree are you going for?

Sounds like you're well set for the A* then! I assume you're taking 4 subjects if you're doing Maths/FM? Got bags of time to iron out those mistakes. If you're getting strong A grades/borderline A*s in past papers you should have absolute no issues in June!

What I'd give for 100 in this exam! I'm hoping to read Business Accouting and Finance at Newcastle, only need AAB which should be no issue (touch wood!).
Reply 6
I found the January 2012 paper better than the June 2011 paper :lol:. The insanely hard question, it was integration or something completely threw me! Then when I looked on the MS -Was only really worth 4 marks for that :angry:

Rest of it went well, Vectors...I have a love hate relationship with lol. Some are okay, sometimes I have a retard moment and cannot answer the 'outside the box' questions :tongue:

Ermmmmmm I don't particularly struggle with the other sections, more or less make a retard mistake and end up losing lots of marks lol. OH that reminds me!!! Integrating lnx+3 or something, I forget to put the bits in my answer which is ANNOYING!!!

How's everyone else doing?

I find the past papers are not that good tbh, they're practically the same the further back you go. The more recent papers, they've all had little questions that test what you really know and understand :worried:. Not fun :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Doctor.
I found the January 2012 paper better than the June 2011 paper :lol:. The insanely hard question, it was integration or something completely threw me! Then when I looked on the MS -Was only really worth 4 marks for that :angry:

Rest of it went well, Vectors...I have a love hate relationship with lol. Some are okay, sometimes I have a retard moment and cannot answer the 'outside the box' questions :tongue:

Ermmmmmm I don't particularly struggle with the other sections, more or less make a retard mistake and end up losing lots of marks lol. OH that reminds me!!! Integrating lnx+3 or something, I forget to put the bits in my answer which is ANNOYING!!!

I find the past papers are not that good tbh, they're practically the same the further back you go. The more recent papers, they've all had little questions that test what you really know and understand :worried:. Not fun :frown:

Completely agree about the past papers. Speaking to my teacher about it the other day and apparently OCR have a new group of question setters that changed after 2009, how true this actually is I'm not sure.
Original post by Choppyy
Sounds like you're well set for the A* then! I assume you're taking 4 subjects if you're doing Maths/FM? Got bags of time to iron out those mistakes. If you're getting strong A grades/borderline A*s in past papers you should have absolute no issues in June!

What I'd give for 100 in this exam! I'm hoping to read Business Accouting and Finance at Newcastle, only need AAB which should be no issue (touch wood!).

Nah, maths, physics, FM. Dropped chemistry last year because it clashed with further maths and it was forcing me to self teach. As I had already decided to teach myself S3 and FP3, I didn't want to teach myself M2, D2 and FP2 as well. Plus I'm not as good at chemistry. I hope I'll be alright, but if I get stuck on one question I find it incredibly hard to move on because I know I should be able to answer it. I end up wasting time, and as was the case in M2, cocking up.

Good luck with the offer :biggrin:
Original post by Doctor.

Oh yay, June 11's the one we're doing in class next week. I just made mistakes in the Jan 12 paper - like the sin(pi/2) and completely ignoring a term in one of my equations. Also, did you know that 33=9?

I can normally blag those, but the first past paper I did talked about a parallelogram. I had forgotten what a parallelogram looked like :laugh:

High five on retard mistakes :five: haha, I messed up the first past paper by reading ln(5/3) . x as ln(5/3 . x), and ended up with a cup of tea taking thousands of minutes to cool :laugh:

Mistakes mainly costing marks. I'm taking FP2, FP3, C1, M2 and a physics module as well this time.

I quite like those, because I like being challenged - but sometimes my mind goes completely blank and it's like ARGH, you should be able to do this!! *spends half an hour trying to figure out how to do the question* *get the paper back to mark it and see how to do it immediately*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Nah, maths, physics, FM. Dropped chemistry last year because it clashed with further maths and it was forcing me to self teach. As I had already decided to teach myself S3 and FP3, I didn't want to teach myself M2, D2 and FP2 as well. Plus I'm not as good at chemistry. I hope I'll be alright, but if I get stuck on one question I find it incredibly hard to move on because I know I should be able to answer it. I end up wasting time, and as was the case in M2, cocking up.

Good luck with the offer :biggrin:

Oh yay, June 11's the one we're doing in class next week. I just made mistakes in the Jan 12 paper - like the sin(pi/2) and completely ignoring a term in one of my equations. Also, did you know that 33=9?

I can normally blag those, but the first past paper I did talked about a parallelogram. I had forgotten what a parallelogram looked like :laugh:

High five on retard mistakes :five: haha, I messed up the first past paper by reading ln(5/3) . x as ln(5/3 . x), and ended up with a cup of tea taking thousands of minutes to cool :laugh:

Mistakes mainly costing marks. I'm taking FP2, FP3, C1, M2 and a physics module as well this time.

I quite like those, because I like being challenged - but sometimes my mind goes completely blank and it's like ARGH, you should be able to do this!! *spends half an hour trying to figure out how to do the question* *get the paper back to mark it and see how to do it immediately*

I need a good mark scheme for the January 2012. I have done it and all, but I don't know if some of my answers would get full credit or what :s-smilie:

Ahhh I hate It it when they mention stuff that you're supposed to know from GCSE (sometimes lower and you don't know It lol) I make a mess if it all the timeeeee :tongue:

But yeah, I don't know if I have made mistakes on this C4 paper, can't find the MS :angry:
Reply 10
Hey all, good to see some familiar faces sitting this :tongue:

Not finding it too difficult at the minute, having done M3 differential equations are second nature.

Only thing I'm not keen on is quotient and remainder as I hate the long division method :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by wibletg

Not finding it too difficult at the minute, having done M3 differential equations are second nature.

Only thing I'm not keen on is quotient and remainder as I hate the long division method :tongue:

M3 sounds difficult :tongue:

Aw long division is amazing :love: till you make that one little minus sign error.....hate it so much lol

I think I can sometimes struggle on quite a few things tbh, but it just depends on the level of retarded'Ness I am in. Would have to say the trig identities thing they try doing can get confusing

also :hi: welcome to the C4 thread
Original post by wibletg

Ugh, too much mechanics :tongue:

How do you do it? I just go (ax^2+bx+c)g(x)=f(x), for example.

Original post by Doctor.
I need a good mark scheme for the January 2012. I have done it and all, but I don't know if some of my answers would get full credit or what :s-smilie:

Ahhh I hate It it when they mention stuff that you're supposed to know from GCSE (sometimes lower and you don't know It lol) I make a mess if it all the timeeeee :tongue:

But yeah, I don't know if I have made mistakes on this C4 paper, can't find the MS :angry:

Do you have the mark scheme? If you want I can take photos of the one I've got and upload it, but yeah, 2mp camera :tongue:

Ugh, I forget that stuff all the time. Someone's just asked me to tutor their son, and their specimen paper looks horrendous. Look at the last question of the first paper! Beginning to worry that I won't be able to do the tutoring, I'm crap at questions like those. Also, A^ (A* with distinction) is such a crap grade name.

is 'this C4 paper' the Jan 12 one? I'll try and upload the MS.
Reply 13
Subscribing :smile:
Original post by Killjoy-
Subscribing :smile:

I vaguely remember you being on the C3 thread, how did it go? :smile:

How's revision going?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
I vaguely remember you being on the C3 thread, how did that go? :smile:

How's revision going?

I remember you well from the FP1 and C3 threads :^_^:

C3 went well, full UMS.

For C4 I've finished all my notes and proofs but I've only attempted one paper. :colondollar:

As Wibletg said, there was a lot of integration by parts and substitution in M3 so that comes easily. It's just practising a lot of papers now.
I remember you well from the FP1 and C3 threads :^_^:

C3 went well, full UMS.

For C4 I've finished all my notes and proofs but I've only attempted one paper. :colondollar:

As Wibletg said, there was a lot of integration by parts and substitution in M3 so that comes easily. It's just practising a lot of papers now.

High five on the full UMS there! :five:

How'd that paper go?

In FP2 we have to know which substitutions to use when which helps with the integration here, so I guess we have a bit of an advantage :smile: Are you taking FP2 or FP3?
Reply 17

Do you have the mark scheme? If you want I can take photos of the one I've got and upload it, but yeah, 2mp camera :tongue:

Ugh, I forget that stuff all the time. Someone's just asked me to tutor their son, and their specimen paper looks horrendous. Look at the last question of the first paper! Beginning to worry that I won't be able to do the tutoring, I'm crap at questions like those. Also, A^ (A* with distinction) is such a crap grade name.

is 'this C4 paper' the Jan 12 one? I'll try and upload the MS.

Yeah the Jan 12 paper! That woukd be awesome If you could upload :smile:

An thanks!!!!!
Reply 18
High five on the full UMS there! :five:

How'd that paper go?

In FP2 we have to know which substitutions to use when which helps with the integration here, so I guess we have a bit of an advantage :smile: Are you taking FP2 or FP3?

Haha thanks :smile:

For the C4 paper I did I lost a few marks for stupid mistakes and for a binomial expansion approximation q I didn't do. I have to learn that at some point.

Have you started further maths revision before core?

We do FP3, so lots of differential equations and more vector work.
Reply 19
Original post by Doctor.
M3 sounds difficult :tongue:
Aw long division is amazing :love: till you make that one little minus sign error.....hate it so much lol

I think I can sometimes struggle on quite a few things tbh, but it just depends on the level of retarded'Ness I am in. Would have to say the trig identities thing they try doing can get confusing
also :hi: welcome to the C4 thread

Hey :biggrin:

Hahaha, glad I'm doing S2 instead of M4 :tongue: M3 was enough.

Long division, so I divide f(x) by g(x) to get the quotient and the remainder. Takes a bit of thinking to do it and it's easy to make a mistake :frown:

FP2 is good for this too, like people have already said :tongue: it makes C4 look like a doddle though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending