The Student Room Group

Lived in UK half life. Student Finance says I am not eligible

Hi, I came to the UK when I was 8 years old. My family was deported and we came back September 10th 2012. I am going to be 24 as in April. I spoke to a man on the phone for student finance. He said I am not eligible for funding and cannot attend University because I should have entered the country June 2012 to be eligible. I tried asking him repeatedly where he got June from and he kept going in circles not giving me a sensible answer.

We asked if I can defer and join Uni in January. He said absolutely not, I must apply in September 2025. This isnt ideal. I have not searched for a career, I have been in full time education doing Access Course and Maths. The university accepted me. I have no clue what I am supposed to do for over a year just waiting around or starting a career? Has anybody experienced anything like this? Im confused since I am eligible to apply for my Indefinite leave to remain this year on the grounds of spending 10yrs/half my life here. So why does that not apply to student finance?

*I am currently on a leave to remain visa. I have been on one since 2012 and reapply every 2yrs due to not having the funds for Indefinite leave to remain.
Hi vicecityferret,

What is your nationality?

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi vicecityferret,

What is your nationality?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi!
Im an American citizen & was born in the USA.
Hi vicecityferret,

If you are a Rest of the World national you would usually need Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK to be eligible for student finance funding

If you have Limited Leave to Remain you would only be eligible for funding under long residency which under the regulations would be 20 years or half your life living continually in the UK

Thanks,
Calum
Hi vicecityferret,

If you are a Rest of the World national you would usually need Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK to be eligible for student finance funding

If you have Limited Leave to Remain you would only be eligible for funding under long residency which under the regulations would be 20 years or half your life living continually in the UK

Thanks,
Calum

It also says on the website eligible on leave to remain if I have spent over half of my life here, which I have. That is what I am confused about and why I have been denied.
Hi vicecityferret,

Can you confirm your date of birth and when you started living in the UK without a break in residency?

Thanks,
Calum
Hi vicecityferret,

Can you confirm your date of birth and when you started living in the UK without a break in residency?

Thanks,
Calum

I was born 18th of April 2000, I have lived here continuously since 10th of September 2012. Thank you!
Hi vicecityferret,

You may be eligible for funding under long residency in this case, if not for a course that started in September 2023 but certainly for a January 2024 intake and beyond

You only need to have satisfied the long residency criteria before the intake you are looking to apply for so this may be an option for you, if you have made an application and received an Ineligible decision that you believe is incorrect you can appeal by emailing [email protected]

The current timescale for appeals processing is 40+ days however

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending