The Student Room Group

Sainsburys at Chipping Norton - anyone seen David Cameron?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A friend of mines family owned a hardware shop in Chipping Norton, they've had both Cameron and Clarkson through the door, so I don't think it'd be too outlandish for him to have been in the local Sainsburys, especially before he was PM.
Reply 21
Original post by Mechanixx
A friend of mines family owned a hardware shop in Chipping Norton, they've had both Cameron and Clarkson through the door, so I don't think it'd be too outlandish for him to have been in the local Sainsburys, especially before he was PM.

Oh sure, he was the local constituency MP - this is about after he was PM - he claimed it is a present thing in the BBC interview. Local journalists have already stated that this claim is nonsense but I am just wondering if anyone on TSR has seen him in there lately. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Manitude
Last time I checked Mr Cameron is human, and therefore requires food to stop him from dying. It's really not that unrealistic to assume he's telling the truth.

You are so blinded by hatred that you'd probably think he was lying if he said his name was David Cameron.

This is a silly comment, I'm not blinded by hatred. I actually feel quite amiable towards him as a person, I just don't think he should be PM. Nothing to do with "hatred".

As for him being human and needing food - that's what the PM's extensive staff and the No 10 flat kitchenette is for and all those state dinners.

Seriously, he won't go anywhere near a supermarket other than to pose for photographers as part of the next general election campaign. It was a bloody silly thing to say but all of a piece with his general amateurishness and unfitness to be PM, no matter how confident he sounds to camera.
Reply 23
Original post by zara55
Oh sure, he was the local constituency MP - this is about after he was PM - he claimed it is a present thing in the BBC interview. Local journalists have already stated that this claim is nonsense but I am just wondering if anyone on TSR has seen him in there lately. :smile:

You do know he still is the local MP, right? Being PM doesn't stop that.
Original post by zara55
This is a silly comment, I'm not blinded by hatred. I actually feel quite amiable towards him as a person, I just don't think he should be PM. Nothing to do with "hatred".

As for him being human and needing food - that's what the PM's extensive staff and the No 10 flat kitchenette is for and all those state dinners.

Seriously, he won't go anywhere near a supermarket other than to pose for photographers as part of the next general election campaign. It was a bloody silly thing to say but all of a piece with his general amateurishness and unfitness to be PM, no matter how confident he sounds to camera.

As an MP he still has a constituency to visit and hold clinics at. Please see through your blinding fog of bigoted hatred and realise how absurd you're being. Yes, he's posh. That doesn't mean he only lives on "venison kebabs". Stop being such a snob.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
No, but I see other regular people like Rebekah Brooks and Jeremy Clarkson in there all the time.
I saw him in my local Waitrose once. About a year ago.
Reply 27
Original post by zara55
Are there any students out there who live in the Cotswolds? Or who happen to frequent Chipping Norton?

If so, have you seen David Cameron in Sainsburys of a Friday night? I ask because according to his recent interview with the BBC, he's in there all the time with the common people shopping for milk and stuff. (Not that there are many common people in Chipping Norton, but you get the idea.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17819623

All sightings discussed and gratefully received.

Dave, the lad.
Reply 28
Original post by Martyn*
I think you are mistaking 'I shop at Sainsburys' with 'I send my butler to shop at Sainsburys for me.'

:biggrin:
Reply 29
What does it matter if he goes to Sainsburys or not?! It doesn't make him a better or worse PM for it.
Original post by Snagprophet
I doubt he goes to a Sainsbury's in Chipping Norton but I'd imagine he'd go to Broxham or perhaps even as far as Banbury. Can't imagine a quick trip to Oxford unless he makes a day trip of it. And lets remember this is the guy who, if he does live a lot in Chipping Norton, he's not going to be entirely stationary. He'd be going back and fourth from there to London as well as many other events. It's not wrong to think it's implausible that he'd have the time to just go to a random Sainsbury's miles away when he's the Prime Minister who has to lead a government and country. Fair doos to the man for actually being able to remember the price of milk, even I have no idea how much milk is.

I saw him on the way to school once in Banbury. Spent 5 mins at the Horton with the protestors before leaving - I doubt hed come down here on a social call, most of Banbury isnt exactly entirely desirable to visit. Bloxham maybe. People from Chippy do come down to shop, go to the Horton etc. Cameron isnt exactly a normal case though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by zara55
A kebab? Now we know you're just making things up. Unless they do venison kebabs in Chipping N?

Like most suppodly posh places, the vast majority are infact normals. Although I dont remeber a kebab shop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah right :rofl:

:wtf:

I used to previously see a former Secretary of State frequently shopping locally to me.

Original post by zara55
It is profoundly implausible - do you really believe the PM is out in his local Sainsburys most weekends as claimed?

Yes. Believe it or not, politicians are normal people. Even the Queen goes to the local shops when she's up at Balmoral. And of course the newspapers managed to catch Prince William out buying some beer and pizzas at a Spar or something in Wales.

Previous PMs have reported that they had profound difficulties returning to aspects of normal life like driving, going to the shops, etc. Is Cameron unique and different

From Tony Blair onwards, there has been a distinct change in how Prime Ministers behave - so certainly different, if not unique. A few generations ago, the middle-middle and upper-middle class didn't really visit shops for groceries - now you're perfectly likely to bump into an Earl in a supermarket.
Reply 33
Original post by zara55

The PM's staff are there to support him in his job - as Prime Minister. The Government does not pay for him to have someone shop for him and bring it to his constituency home.
What's so posh about venison? You can probably buy it in Iceland...
used to see him quite often at my local tesco before he became PM & no one would bat an eyelid.
Reply 36
Original post by Drewski
You do know he still is the local MP, right? Being PM doesn't stop that.

Of course I know. You obviously don't realise that "local MP" who also happens to be PM is a world away from being just an ordinary MP any more. We are talking serious security and pre-approved people only coming to constituency surgeries.

Note that so far the "sightings" are all of his pre-PM phase apart from one in Waitrose maybe?
Reply 37
Original post by zara55
Of course I know. You obviously don't realise that "local MP" who also happens to be PM is a world away from being just an ordinary MP any more. We are talking serious security and pre-approved people only coming to constituency surgeries.

Note that so far the "sightings" are all of his pre-PM phase apart from one in Waitrose maybe?

Funnily enough, few people on TSR live in Chipping Norton, of which I doubt any of them are sad enough to camp outside a supermarket, on the off chance that they can prove whether the PM visits when he says he does. It's rare that I spot anybody I in the supermarket, let alone 1 particular person.

I'd suggest there's a bit of an ulterior motive to this rant of yours.
Reply 38
Original post by Mad Vlad
Funnily enough, few people on TSR live in Chipping Norton, of which I doubt any of them are sad enough to camp outside a supermarket, on the off chance that they can prove whether the PM visits when he says he does. It's rare that I spot anybody I in the supermarket, let alone 1 particular person.

I'd suggest there's a bit of an ulterior motive to this rant of yours.

It's not "ulterior" and it's not a "rant" - I've stated quite openly that he was caught in an obvious lie - that he's in Sainsburys every Friday evening shopping for the family - that I don't personally dislike him but I do think he's not fit to be PM and that this is another indicator of the way in which his background of automatic privilege makes him act this way.

Do people realise for example that his first job in the Tory Party, at Tory HQ, was obtained for him after a direct phone call from the Palace to the Chairman of the Party at the time?

It's all of a piece.
Reply 39
Comic how many Tory boys there are on this thread and on TSR generally leaping to the defence of Cameron in his hour of need, when the posh boy allegations are flying thick and fast. Not really surprised though as this forum is full of libertarians and right-wingers from the posh unis.

Watched that interview myself and had a sharp intake of breath when he came out with that one - not just that it was so obviously untrue but that he could so easily be caught out in the lie. Made Blair look competent, which Cameron often manages to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending