The Student Room Group

Should James Holmes (Batman killing) get the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Lock him in a small prison cell for 24 hours a day for the rest of his life. In my opinion that's worse than dying, therefore against death penalty. But ultimately it should be up to the victims' family.
Okay. I say I like Dairy Milk Caramel and you say I love the whole brand of Dairy Milk. You're generalising one thing I support to everything.

Someone could be extremely anti death-penalty, but finds out a man has been molesting his daughter and murders him.

Original post by DorianGrayism
You just said it.
Original post by coastbeats
But it's not out of self-satisfication thus it is not revenge or lust, that's all I'm saying.
But it is out of self-satisfaction, the idea that you supported giving the evil child killer man what he had coming. The (false) idea that by doing it you deter future mass murderers from doing the same.
Original post by Miracle Day
Pick and chose is what they do anyway.

If they're completely and totally convinced, without doubt that said individual is a murderer that's when the Capital punishment comes into play.

Not in the civilised world.

Holmes is obivously contempt with going to prison, as in his emails sent to a girl "Will you visit me in prison?" which is why I don't think he should go there.

You mean content on going to prison.....

And who are you to decide where the man goes?

Erm, just a bullet to the head will do.

Nope, we shouldn't televise it.. what a disgusting suggestion on your behalf.

Digusting suggestion? You want to see the man shot in the head. Is there something you're telling us, you sadist?
Reply 104
Depends on which state he commuted the crime in? And what that state law says about taking innocent Americans life away!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Ilyas
No, everyone is capable of contributing positively to society. You don't just extinguish somebody because they are a weak link, you help them.

Really? How is Holmes ever going to contribute positively to society?
Original post by Redolent
But it is out of self-satisfaction, the idea that you supported giving the evil child killer man what he had coming. The (false) idea that by doing it you deter future mass murderers from doing the same.

It's not though. It tries to find the satisfaction of society as a whole entity, removing all emotion and SELF-satisfaction

Original post by Stalin
Not in the civilised world.

Perhaps, Perhaps not. Who are you to decide what's civil and what isn't?

Original post by Stalin
And who are you to decide where the man goes?

Who are you? Who are the Government? Who is the Judge to decide?

Original post by Stalin
Digusting suggestion? You want to see the man shot in the head. Is there something you're telling us, you sadist?

A bullet to the head will be quick, there are people on this thread suggesting torture perhaps attack them instead of me.
Okay. I say I like Dairy Milk Caramel and you say I love the whole brand of Dairy Milk. You're generalising one thing I support to everything.

Someone could be extremely anti death-penalty, but finds out a man has been molesting his daughter and murders him.

I didn't say you support Capital Punishment for every crime in the world. That would be absurd.

No one assumes that if you say you support Capital Punishment that you also support it for robbery.

If you support the killing of Prisoners for crimes then you support Capital Punishment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by coastbeats
It's not though. It tries to find the satisfaction of society as a whole entity, removing all emotion and SELF-satisfaction
Fair enough, but it's not worth our civility, and as far as I'm concerned killing a man because he killed some other people is not civil. And I fully believe that sentiment will only grow in strength as society becomes more advanced.
Reply 110
Part of me wants to say yes he should, but that's only because it fills me with anger and sadness whenever I here about this story and the despicable man. So I say no, because it's not right to have a legal system based on revenge. Besides, for those who do want revenge he'll probably be treated like scum in prison for the rest of his life and I hope not being given the option to die and instead live with what he's done will mentally tear him down like it did to Ian Brady.

Interestingly, in China the recidivism rate (rate at which criminals come back into prison after going out) is only 2%, an amazing statistic. But it comes at a price that the prisons are far away from having luxury items such as Xbox/PS3's, people have to work hard inside and of course there is the death penalty which deters a lot of crime in the first place. So it's interesting to wonder where you'd rather have the prisons/crime being much softer here in the UK which people continuing to break the law after going into prison or having a system like China but at the risk of citizens overall losing a LOT of their freedom. I think I prefer what we have. Introducing the death penalty isn't as simple as a lot of people think...
Original post by DorianGrayism
I didn't say you support Capital Punishment for every crime in the world. That would be absurd.

No one assumes that if you say you support Capital Punishment that you also support it for robbery.

If you support the killing of Prisoners for crimes then you support Capital Punishment.

I don't support Capital Punishment for murder, I support it exclusively for this case. Perhaps if you give me reports of other similar cases I would also support it but if there was a vote to legalise Capital Punishment for murder I would oppose it.
Original post by Stevo F
Then they need to change the system, anybody with half a brain knows that if you have a confession, video and witnesses of the crime it should be cheaper to perform the death penalty.

Another example of a country in massive debt (like most of the world) wasting money in unnecessary areas.

Sure.

Maybe next we should kill Robbers. If you have a confession, video and witnesses of the crimes.

Save even more money.
Original post by Redolent
Fair enough, but it's not worth our civility, and as far as I'm concerned killing a man because he killed some other people is not civil. And I fully believe that sentiment will only grow in strength as society becomes more advanced.

Society will never grow to a level of advancement that you and me would like because of our human nature: of our greed, self-loathing and lust of personal advancement. Humans will be humans.

It's widely accepted in civilised countries that each of us have the right to life, and the state has no right to take that away from us.

Who are you? Who are the Government? Who is the Judge to decide?

I am Stalin. The Government is an administrative bureaucracy that controls a state. The Judge presiding over the case should have experience as an advocate and be impartial.

A bullet to the head will be quick, there are people on this thread suggesting torture perhaps attack them instead of me.

If you call yourself civilised, you would oppose the death penalty because of its violation of human rights.
Lol of course he should, people who say he can be reformed are idiots, even if he could do you honestly think he could ever be released from prison knowing what he done? Even if all the victims families agreed that he should be allowed they'll always be someone wanting to kill him to get in the papers and get some of his notoriety.
He mercilessly murdered 12 people and in his ideal scenario killing many more. The odds are he will be found Insane and not get the death penalty which will be the only justification not to issue the death penalty.

Itll either be Life without parole or death, I would probably prefer him to get life (especially in an american prison) because he will spend most of his life living in fear and nothing to live for. He would probably want the death penalty or try to take his own life to put his misery to an end.

But if he is sentenced to death i would support that decision
Just need to highlight the very important point that not killing the man is a "hands off", neutral approach. It is saying, "We do not know for sure that killing this man is truly just. Therefore we should leave him alive."

Then you're not saying you know what's just and what isn't, or that you're the authority on what being civilised means. You're just stopping other people who think they do know that from acting on their beliefs.
Reply 117
No.

But at the same time, he should not be freed.
Original post by Stalin

If you call yourself civilised, you would oppose the death penalty because of its violation of human rights.

Lol Stalin promoting human rights, a strange irony there.. The guy didnt consider the human rights of the 50+ he attempted to murder and the 12 he actually did, including a 6 year old. It's not not civillised to give him the death penalty, especially if its done by lethal injection.

to call him human should be used in its very loosest of terms. Hes an monster in all but name. Although he would probably welcome the death penalty to escape his long life of torment and retribution. So he should probably not be given the satisfaction of a quick release.
Original post by AverageExcellence
Itll either be Life without parole or death, I would probably prefer him to get life (especially in an american prison) because he will spend most of his life living in fear and nothing to live for. He would probably want the death penalty or try to take his own life to put his misery to an end.
And then you get to sit back and wallow in the pleasure you get from knowing another man is suffering

How civilised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending