The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TanveerSFC
Any good animes in 2012?
Anime fell of since 2011

There's plenty of great series this season alone - Psycho-Pass, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! stick out for me. Earlier in the year, the second half of Fate/Zero, Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Sakamichi no Apollon spring to mind. :yes:
Reply 3961
Slightly offtopic but hey ho-

If I wanted to try a Muv Luv VN which would be the best one to start with?

I say this cause I like the universe that the Muv Luv anime is set in, yet for every good episode of desperate fighting against the hordes of aliens, we get 10 episodes of rom-com SoL ****.
Reply 3962
Original post by Carecup

I say this cause I like the universe that the Muv Luv anime is set in, yet for every good episode of desperate fighting against the hordes of aliens, we get 10 episodes of rom-com SoL ****.

I have bad news. Enjoying Muv-Luv Alternative, which is the meaty VN which chronicles the desperate attempt to save humanity from the BETA, kind of requires you to already have played Muv-Luv Extra (rom-com harem shenaniganations with no aliens) and Muv-Luv Unlimited (learning to pilot giant robots but never getting to the front lines). Alternative is a very direct and deliberate sequel to the other two stories.

Alternative is really good. But I can't decide for you whether it's good enough to justify slogging through Extra and Unlimited.
Reply 3963
Original post by QHF
I have bad news. Enjoying Muv-Luv Alternative, which is the meaty VN which chronicles the desperate attempt to save humanity from the BETA, kind of requires you to already have played Muv-Luv Extra (rom-com harem shenaniganations with no aliens) and Muv-Luv Unlimited (learning to pilot giant robots but never getting to the front lines). Alternative is a very direct and deliberate sequel to the other two stories.

Alternative is really good. But I can't decide for you whether it's good enough to justify slogging through Extra and Unlimited.

Annoying. Although being that I'm going through the clannad VN I'll probably make it through Extra and unlimited.
Reply 3964
Original post by Carecup
Slightly offtopic but hey ho-

Muv-Luv is more of a coming of age SoL than anything else. That type of material makes up the first two VNs and roughly half of Alternative and you can't skip the first two. It's like reading HF without having read Fate or UBW before-hand.

A lot of the dark edgy gory action is good types get mistaken because of scenes that the VN is very famous for, or certain episodes in the TE anime. My sides explode quicker than a Gekishin peering over the horizon during a Code 991 every time people lament about the lack of BETA involvement in Total Eclipse and the VNs when they were never the main focus of the story, but rather a backdrop to drive the story.

Don't get me wrong, the world-building behind Muv-Luv is pretty good. However, if you don't like rom-com SoL stuff, you're going to struggle to enjoy Muv-Luv. Much like how a lot of entry-level Fate fans probably wouldn't be struggle to enjoy Hollow Ataraxia, Prisma Ilya, etc.

In other news:

I want to be in Japland right now. 6 months until the BDs can't come soon enough. Figuratively hit the panic button in my head and tripping balls right now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3965
Original post by Tabris
Muv-Luv is more of a coming of age SoL than anything else. That type of material makes up the first two VNs and roughly half of Alternative and you can't skip the first two. It's like reading HF without having read Fate or UBW before-hand.

A lot of the dark edgy gory action is good types get mistaken because of scenes that the VN is very famous for, or certain episodes in the TE anime. My sides explode quicker than a Gekishin peering over the horizon during a Code 991 every time people lament about the lack of BETA involvement in Total Eclipse and the VNs when they were never the main focus of the story, but rather a backdrop to drive the story.

Don't get me wrong, the world-building behind Muv-Luv is pretty good. However, if you don't like rom-com SoL stuff, you're going to struggle to enjoy Muv-Luv. Much like how a lot of entry-level Fate fans probably wouldn't be struggle to enjoy Hollow Ataraxia, Prisma Ilya, etc.

Its not that I don't like rom coms or SoL its just that TA handles it so ham fistedly and every character feels like nothing more than "the tsudere one", "the deredere one" and "the kuudere one". If the VN is more than that (as they so often are) then I'll be happy to go ahead with it.
Reply 3966
Original post by Carecup
Its not that I don't like rom coms or SoL its just that TA handles it so ham fistedly and every character feels like nothing more than "the tsudere one", "the deredere one" and "the kuudere one". If the VN is more than that (as they so often are) then I'll be happy to go ahead with it.

Most of that was general commentary. A lot of people picked up ML at the start of last season because they'd misheard about what it was about and went in with the wrong assumptions. Made me cringe every time I saw someone say something along the lines of "OMG, THAT WAS SO GORY. IT'S BEEN TOO LONG SINCE WE HAD A MATURE GORE ANIME FOR MATURE PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF".

Extra and Unlimited are chock with those stereotypes, but the characters are more developed. So you should be okay.

Looking through photos of an Evangelion 3.0 design/art book. I don't even know what's going on any more.
(edited 11 years ago)
I want to watch something that will be rememborable like DBZ, any thing good?!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-11-18/rosen-maiden-manga-gets-more-anime

ANN

Shueisha's Young Jump magazine is announcing that more of the anime adaptation of Peach-Pit's Rozen Maiden manga has been green-lit. The manga already inspired two television series and two special anime projects.

:beard:
yay more rozen raiden :woo:

its been a while since i shed some tears in space bros :cry2: finally did it :grin: yay :awesome:
Reply 3970
SAO 20

Hmm well that fight was interesting but I wonder where they put all the budget for this episode

Oh.
Sao fan service xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3972
Just caught up with Chuuni. I really enjoyed this episode. I've been putting it off for a few days, but I got laughs, HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGGS and some tugging on my heart strings, even if it was obvious where they were steering things.

Original post by Carecup

Budget and plot well spent.
Anyone watching Ixion saga dt?, magi should be interesting next :biggrin:

Original post by CosmicVengeance
Anyone watching Ixion saga dt?, magi should be interesting next :biggrin:

Yeah, now that my internet is back I'm trying to catch up with as many series as possible, and just marathoned the first six episodes of Ixion Saga today. :yes: I'm finding it hilarious. :rofl: The 7th episode got released tonight as well, which is good timing as I'm in the mood for more. :biggrin:

Magi is next on my list of shows to catch up with, and I've got Little Busters! waiting too. I'll probably save them for my days of on Tuesday and Wednesday. :smile:

Unrelated to the new season, but I found out earlier that The Flowers of Evil is getting an anime adaptation! :zomg: Hardly news since it was announced back in August, but I probably skipped the article at the time since that was before I started reading the manga. For me this will be compulsory viewing, but I imagine it'll be a difficult manga to adapt well. :hmmmm2:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yeah, now that my internet is back I'm trying to catch up with as many series as possible, and just marathoned the first six episodes of Ixion Saga today. :yes: I'm finding it hilarious. :rofl: The 7th episode got released tonight as well, which is good timing as I'm in the mood for more. :biggrin:

Magi is next on my list of shows to catch up with, and I've got Little Busters! waiting too. I'll probably save them for my days of on Tuesday and Wednesday. :smile:

Unrelated to the new season, but I found out earlier that The Flowers of Evil is getting an anime adaptation! :zomg: Hardly news since it was announced back in August, but I probably skipped the article at the time since that was before I started reading the manga. For me this will be compulsory viewing, but I imagine it'll be a difficult manga to adapt well. :hmmmm2:

Ikr its like the funniest anime I've seen, antagonists kinda remind me of team rocket because they fail each time in the most lame way rofl, magi is getting really interesting cant wait for next ep, cant wait for btooom/sao to, not to mention tonaro no kaibutsu kun! What a PLOT!,

Spoiler

i like howbthat was done!

Sukitte iinayo should also be interesting ^_^

SUGOIIII!

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3976
So there are audiorips of Eva 3.0. I'm extremely tempted to give it a good listen.
Reply 3977
Flicked through a copy of neo in a shop, no I wasnt going to buy it.:pierre: There was an article about chaos;head, they seemed to be talking about it... positively.:s-smilie:

Up to ep 14 of Sword art online... I think its finished now.:lolwut:
Original post by vin
Flicked through a copy of neo in a shop, no I wasnt going to buy it.:pierre: There was an article about chaos;head, they seemed to be talking about it... positively.:s-smilie:

Up to ep 14 of Sword art online... I think its finished now.:lolwut:

Nice to see NEO's still keeping up to date with the 'latest' and 'greatest' anime releases. :giggle: Still, it must have done quite well in America to get a UK release. :dontknow:

SAO should have finished at episode 14 in my opinion... or perhaps used the other ~10 episodes to pace the show better instead of starting a new arc. :yucky:
Reply 3979
I just watched this week's Chuuni. I think I'm going to die.

Latest