The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying for Two courses at LSE?

I was just wondering whether its a wise move to apply to LSE for both Business Maths AND Stats and Economics AND Economics History?

BMS entry requirement is AAA while Econ and Econ History is AAB.

My grades arent that good. GCSEs are A*A*AAAAAABB. AS grades are Maths (A), English Lang&Lit (B), Chemistry (B), French (C). I dropped French at A2 and now my predicted grades are AAA.

Should I apply to both of these courses or just to one them (or maybe not at all since I dont have a chance of getting in? ) What do you reckon I should do?
No, do not apply to more than one course. They mentioned this on the open day I went on: it shows you do not have a large passion for the subject you are applying to. This applies especially in this case, as the two subjects you are considering are very different.

In terms of whether your grades are good enough, I'd look at the 2012 and 2013 LSE stalking pages (type them into the search bar) to see what grades other/previous applicants had to get into similar courses.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I applied for just Economics when sending my UCAS, then added in Econ & Econ History on the deadline day (had a free choice slot). That week I got a rejection for L101 Econ, so sent an additional statement to them essentially explaining why I wanted to do VL31 now, got the offer after a few weeks.

If you apply for two courses you will get rejected for one of them, and writing a PS for two courses just won't work at all. I'd recommend just focusing on one.
Good Luck with that!
Reply 4
still can't find the stalking page. Any links you can provide?
Reply 5
Original post by North Irelandman
I applied for just Economics when sending my UCAS, then added in Econ & Econ History on the deadline day (had a free choice slot). That week I got a rejection for L101 Econ, so sent an additional statement to them essentially explaining why I wanted to do VL31 now, got the offer after a few weeks.

If you apply for two courses you will get rejected for one of them, and writing a PS for two courses just won't work at all. I'd recommend just focusing on one.

Do you mind me asking what your grades were? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by blackdress
still can't find the stalking page. Any links you can provide?

For the 2013 LSE stalking page, just type it in the search bar and look on the right hand side of the screen. It should appear there under Articles. Hope that helps.

With regards to applying for two different courses at LSE, don't do it. They made it quite clear that they will definitely completely discard one application and it could potentially hinder your other one as it shows that perhaps you aren't completely interested in doing that course.

Also applying for different courses to different unis isn't a bad idea per se, but with such different subjects you're going to have an extremely hard time writing your PS. For example I applied for econ and maths, econ and stats, econ and finance and econ and management and it wasn't too hard writing my PS as they're all similar/overlapping subjects.
Reply 8
Thank you guys for your advices and opinions. :smile: I didnt apply for two different courses in the end, realised it was actually a bad idea so just went for econ history and econ.

Original post by iamsuperjai
Do you mind me asking what your grades were? :smile:

I was predicted A*AA (Maths, Phys, Econ) with already a C from Chemistry AS, and 5A*5A at GCSE. Don't get caught up on grades though, as long as you know you can meet the offer and have reasonable predictions, the rest is up to your PS so best of luck. And good decision on the course :wink:
Original post by North Irelandman

I'm literally in the same position as you now. How and to who did you send the additional statement to? Would not writing the additional statement hinder my chances for the offer at the second choice even though my grades are way above its entry requirements?
Reply 11
What do you guys think about applying for 2 courses that are extremely similar, such as both BSc Economic History and BSc Economic History with Economics
Original post by Jdoughty
What do you guys think about applying for 2 courses that are extremely similar, such as both BSc Economic History and BSc Economic History with Economics

Don't do it. I had to learn it the hard way. It's basically wasting a choice.
Original post by hackashaq
I'm literally in the same position as you now. How and to who did you send the additional statement to? Would not writing the additional statement hinder my chances for the offer at the second choice even though my grades are way above its entry requirements?

I actually called up, then sent a few polite emails (to the Economic History department as far as I remember) and they said they would ensure the additional statement I send is attached to my application. As soon as I found that out I really went to town on it. Since it was a lot less restricting than a personal statement it was a lot of fun to write, and probably did more for my chances than my PS actually did. Bear in mind I did have a considerable time gap between submitting the personal and additional statements (a few months) so that made it easier to explain how I had a change of heart. Hope it all works out for you; I can't exactly say whether or not an additional statement will help in your case. If you feel you have good reason for it and write it well, then just hope the admissions tutor is in a good mood and sees it as more of an enterprising than desperate move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending