The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
Original post by eugenius 8
the race against the Civic in Initial D First Stage :dice: just gets better and better :coma: dont piss off Takumi :mmm: :cool:

Initial D is great, despite the dated and unattractive character design. The plot is really straightforward and repetitive, but oddly I still find it entertaining to watch. The fifth season hasn't changed all that much from the first. :tongue:

latest to love ru darkness ep was sweet :cute: show can be quite good when the story gets going :h:

When I picked this up, I could hardly remember what happened in the previous seasons and after watching this one, I can understand why. Nothing really does happen, it's almost slice of life ecchi with very minimal progression. It's a shame because the animation is attractive. That said, like with Busou Shinki, it's kind of nice to shut my mind off and watch something like this. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Initial D is great, despite the dated and unattractive character design. The plot is really straightforward and repetitive, but oddly I still find it entertaining to watch. The fifth season hasn't changed all that much from the first. :tongue:

think im gona take my time with Initial D, just watch it in short bursts :cool: the driving + music = epic :coma: they do the dramatic scenes quite well i feel :beard: also i love how Takumi goes from super calm to pissed in a split second :p:

When I picked this up, I could hardly remember what happened in the previous seasons and after watching this one, I can understand why. Nothing really does happen, it's almost slice of life ecchi with very minimal progression. It's a shame because the animation is attractive. That said, like with Busou Shinki, it's kind of nice to shut my mind off and watch something like this. :tongue:

aha yeah, even though the story rarely progresses i still enjoy it loads, probs mainly cos the first season that aired was one of the very first shows i watched as it aired and i became a little attached to the characters :p:
Reply 4022
Original post by eugenius 8
think im gona take my time with Initial D, just watch it in short bursts :cool: the driving + music = epic :coma: they do the dramatic scenes quite well i feel :beard: also i love how Takumi goes from super calm to pissed in a split second :p:

Yeah, Takumi is an unusual protagonist in that he's rather mild mannered and subdued. I always found it amusing how during the first season he would calmly execute all of these difficult corners with his usual deadpan expression while everyone around him was awe inspired. :tongue:

aha yeah, even though the story rarely progresses i still enjoy it loads, probs mainly cos the first season that aired was one of the very first shows i watched as it aired and i became a little attached to the characters :p:

This is the problem I have. Aside from Lala, I couldn't really remember any of them, even Rito. None of them left a lasting impression, really. I do like Momo in this season, though. :giggle:
Reply 4023
I read the Initial D manga once, the drawing was hilariously bad in places, it was good until it fell into manga staple of repeating the same 100 or so pages over and over again...
Original post by Aiko
Yeah, Takumi is an unusual protagonist in that he's rather mild mannered and subdued. I always found it amusing how during the first season he would calmly execute all of these difficult corners with his usual deadpan expression while everyone around him was awe inspired. :tongue:

yeah especially his first race, i couldnt stop loling at his expression :rofl: his dad is on another level :rofl2:

ah finished the first season, what an epic finish! :coma: gona take a break from it now :p:

cant get enough of this :colondollar: :woo: really love the music from this show :coma:

This is the problem I have. Aside from Lala, I couldn't really remember any of them, even Rito. None of them left a lasting impression, really. I do like Momo in this season, though. :giggle:

never really like Momo before, but shes so awesome this season :yep:
Reply 4025
I want to watch Initial D now.:redface:

I also want to resume Eureka 7. I got to ep 35 and stalled. But now I cant remember too well what happened beyond main events and I dont want to start again from the beginning.:erm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4026
Eugh, not sure if I can handle Chuuni any more.

Spoiler

Also, SnK had an anime announced a few days ago. I have some reservations about it, but if done well, potentially AOTS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Joined/applied!

Where can I find the complete Steins;Gate series on DVD for use with a PAL DVD player? My budget can probably stretch to £40 or so, I must get my hands on one. :mad:

I tried getting in to Darker than Black recently, but couldn't do it. Not sure why. I've been looking for a new series - any suggestions? A mystery/thriller with a plot on par with Steins;Gate would be fantastic. Age of the anime is completely irrelivant, plot is all that matters. I've heard good things about Monster, but the 70-episode or so amount of episodes is rather offputting. :frown:

Some anime I've watched to give you a better idea of what I'm after;

Un-Go
Death Note
Gosick
Mirai Nikki
Steins;Gate
Chaos;Head
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Noir
Pandora Hearts

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4029
Also have some SHAFT PV goodness.

I've picked up watching anime again this week after a few months away from it. I'm currently 9 episodes into Nyan Koi! which I kind of pestered my friend into watching a couple of weeks ago. I've really enjoyed it so far and will certainly come away grateful that my cats can't talk. :biggrin:

Hopefully I'll be able to finish that this weekend and then I plan to move onto watching Another, which couldn't have less in common with Nyan Koi! looking at the write-ups. :tongue:
Original post by Stephan89
I've picked up watching anime again this week after a few months away from it. I'm currently 9 episodes into Nyan Koi! which I kind of pestered my friend intot watching a couple of weeks ago. I've really enjoyed it so far and will certainly come away grateful that my cats can't talk. :biggrin:

Hopefully I'll be able to finish that this weekend and then I plan to move onto watching Another, which couldn't have less in common with Nyan Koi! looking at the write-ups. :tongue:

Seen both!

Nyan Koi! Was really good up for the most part. The plot goes all sorts of bat**** crazy towards the end and the ending itself, without wanting to give much away, is a massive letdown, considering a second series isn't looking likely.

Save your time and don't watch Another. The intro sucks and out of the 20+ series I've completed, it has the worst plot of the bunch. Incredibly overrated. I remember it being scary at times, but barring that, it has no redeeming moments as the rest falls flat on its one-eyed face.
The plot sucks major, major balls. :frown:
Original post by vin

I also want to resume Eureka 7. I got to ep 35 and stalled. But now I cant remember too well what happened beyond main events and I dont want to start again from the beginning.:erm:

The first 26 episodes are largely about character development, you could go back and watch from 26/27 but I don't think you'd enjoy it as much without knowing all the characters very well.

And you really should! Eureka is such a good anime
Reply 4033
Original post by FlickerWick
Save your time and don't watch Another. The intro sucks and out of the 20+ series I've completed, it has the worst plot of the bunch. Incredibly overrated. I remember it being scary at times, but barring that, it has no redeeming moments as the rest falls flat on its one-eyed face.
The plot sucks major, major
balls. :frown:
I saw Another's first ep and wasn't very impressed. I have an acquaintance who saw it but if I bring it up they just snort and say something about an umbrella.
Joined/applied!

Where can I find the complete Steins;Gate series on DVD for use with a PAL DVD player? My budget can probably stretch to £40 or so, I must get my hands on one. :mad:

I tried getting in to Darker than Black recently, but couldn't do it. Not sure why. I've been looking for a new series - any suggestions? A mystery/thriller with a plot on par with Steins;Gate would be fantastic. Age of the anime is completely irrelivant, plot is all that matters. I've heard good things about Monster, but the 70-episode or so amount of episodes is rather offputting. :frown:

Some anime I've watched to give you a better idea of what I'm after;

Un-Go
Death Note
Gosick
Mirai Nikki
Steins;Gate
Chaos;Head
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Noir
Pandora Hearts

Hello and welcome to the society, I'll approve your membership request shortly. :smile:

Can't help you with your first question I'm afraid, but with regards to decent mystery series, Monster is definitely one of the best. I was also put off by the length of the series at first, but once I finally gave it a go I was instantly hooked. It really needs that many episodes for the sake of the plot and character development, not a single episode felt wasted in my opinion.

As for some other, shorter series suggestions, I'd highly recommend Madlax and/or El Cazador de la Bruja (which together with Noir make up Bee Train's "Girls and Guns" trilogy); Shiki (all the gore of Another, but with a decent plot, if slightly rushed at the end); Gankutsuou (basically The Count of Monte Cristo... IN SPAAACE! Much better than it sounds :p:).

Finally, in terms of currently airing series, Robotics;Notes (the spiritual successor to Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate), Psycho-Pass and/or BTOOOM! (rubbish name, I know) ought to tick most of the right boxes. :yes:

Hope that helps. :biggrin:
Reply 4035
The plot sucks major, major
balls. :frown:

Best scene in Another. Otherwise it was just enjoyable in the same way you'd enjoy a Final Destination movie when you go to watch it in the cinema, at the age of 13.
finished Initial D 2nd Stage :cry2:

Spoiler

cant decide which of the first 2 seasons was better :beard: 1st stage had the better races but 2nd stage had the better drama :yep: now onto the movie, fourth stage, then the current fifth stage, at this rate im gona be up to date before i go home for xmas :s-smilie:
Original post by vin

just watch it babes you'll love it :coma:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Another guys. I think I'll give it a miss after all if that quick scene is the most enjoyable thing to come out of it. :tongue: Bit of a shame really because it sounded like it could've been promising.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Can't help you with your first question I'm afraid, but with regards to decent mystery series, Monster is definitely one of the best. I was also put off by the length of the series at first, but once I finally gave it a go I was instantly hooked. It really needs that many episodes for the sake of the plot and character development, not a single episode felt wasted in my opinion.

I'm very interested in trying this one myself now. I think this may have just replaced Another in my next-to-watch spot. Cheers. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4039

Exceeds my expectations in how good it looks. I'm really looking forward to next Spring.

Latest