The Student Room Group

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snailsareslimy

Although, just out of curiosity, you said you'd rather live in Ireland than some random place in Britain? What if that was a little town in the west? Would you be willing to live there?

I don't think living in West Ireland would be significantly different from living in a rural part of England(or Holland). But I'd probably take my chances of getting a city in England than the west of Ireland. I live in London and wouldn't choose to live anywhere in Europe at the moment.

I guess the survey was on where is best to grow up and I think growing up in Ireland or (Northern Ireland) is probably quite nice. I know growing up in Amsterdam/London, I had to worry about getting mugged on the way home from school and things like that.
Am quite surprised to see Singapore up there, I thought it was a really densely populated country... saw a TV show and whilst shouldn't judge just from a TV show, the majority of the working class seemed to live in tower blocks.
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
The Universities are objectively great, were not here to compare which is better. Furthermore a degree from UCD/Trinity is practically free, a degree from most UK Unis will cost you up to £27,000 in fees.

Wages are exceptionally high, particularly for professionals. My colleagues, based in the ROI, get almost 3 times our salary in Belfast. The cost of living in Galway/Cork/Dublin is nowhere near three times as expensive. This is practically true for all Law and Accountancy firms. I can't really speak for other sectors.

Nor is commuting anywhere, particularly London.

Racism in Ireland is not even comparable to the UK, France, Germany or pretty much anywhere else on the continental mainland.

I think Trinity is the only Irish Uni that makes it into the top 100 in the world.

Well, maybe. Unless, you are working in the Government, then I cannot think of another reason why there would such a huge difference in wage structure.

I have to take a taxi which costs 15 euros at 6.30 am in the morning so I can be in hospital for 7 am because there is no bus at that time and I live by Stephen's Green.

Racism is definitely a lot worse than in the UK. I know many people that have been verbally abused, had bottles thrown at them and etc in Ireland. That has never happened in the UK to anyone that I know. It isn't a problem that occurs on a regular basis but it is certainly an issue.
people, culture, housing, sport, tv, attitude, education, arts, welfare support, history, food, (great size portions at respectable prices with local ingredients) the list goes on

and its not that hole called birmingham.

All personal preference of course - that being said i wouldnt live in Dublin for all the cabbage in Kerry lol. As a city its the ugliest and i cant stand the place
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
I think Trinity is the only Irish Uni that makes it into the top 100 in the world.

Well, maybe. Unless, you are working in the Government, then I cannot think of another reason why there would such a huge difference in wage structure.

I have to take a taxi which costs 15 euros at 6.30 am in the morning so I can be in hospital for 7 am because there is no bus at that time and I live by Stephen's Green.

Racism is definitely a lot worse than in the UK. I know many people that have been verbally abused, had bottles thrown at them and etc in Ireland. That has never happened in the UK to anyone that I know. It isn't a problem that occurs on a regular basis but it is certainly an issue.

I work in the private sector, Tax Accountant at KPMG, our head office ironically is at St. Stephens Green.

That's an unfortunate commute but I've had to do worse in Belfast/London.

Racism in RoI is not even comparable to the UK. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its not an Issue in RoI, but its way worse in NI/GB. The worst racists I came across in the Republic are actually Dublin taxi drivers! But 2 years ago there was a mini pogram against Romanians in Belfast. A Loyalist mob burnt down two house, threw bricks through several families' windows, and gathered in a mob and harrassed them on the street. Several Romanian families had to be bus'd out of Belfast to sleep in a community centre. Whats more up North, and over in GB, there's Combat 18, the EDL and BNP. Nick Griffin is an MEP!?
Reply 125
How the hell are Israel and Chillie beating us!?
I work in the private sector, Tax Accountant at KPMG, our head office ironically is at St. Stephens Green.

Racism in RoI is not even comparable to the UK. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its not an Issue in RoI, but its way worse in NI/GB. The worst racists I came across in the Republic are actually Dublin taxi drivers! But 2 years ago there was a mini pogram against Romanians in Belfast. A Loyalist mob burnt down two house, threw bricks through several families' windows, and gathered in a mob and harrassed them on the street. Several Romanian families had to be bus'd out of Belfast to sleep in a community centre. Whats more up North, and over in GB, there's Combat 18, the EDL and BNP. Nick Griffin is an MEP!?

That's not really unique to any country. I presume these people were gypsies? I doubt many Dutchman would have even a neutral word to say about them.

Haha....actually...I was going to use Taxi Drivers as one of the examples of racism in Dublin. They actually really dislike Nigerian Taxi Drivers but then they don't really like the competition because of deregulation.

Oh....yeh...I agree that Northern Ireland is a 100x worse than the Republic.

You are probably correct about the mainland UK. I have rose tinted views of racism in the UK because I live in London where there are loads of ethnic minorities, so I never see any behaviour like that.
(edited 11 years ago)
NI is not comparable to the Republic of Ireland.

I live in the North, and its safe to say N.I its worse than both ROI and GB.

R.o.Ireland is so high on the list as;

It has free Uni education.
Great Uni's.
Really high wages.
Good welfare state.
High number of high-end jobs in Dublin (admittedly less so outside, but still 1/3 of the population live within commuting distance to Dublin).
A wide sense of political harmony.
A great series of presidents.
No serious problem with racism.

I could go on...

I can't believe people are shocked at how highly ranked the R.o.Ireland is. Do people still think the Irish run about barefoot, living in thatched cottages squinting over gas lamps and eating spuds, struggling to make time to practice river dance?

All of this may be true but I dont see how they can rank so highly when it is virtually impossible to access an abortion for example.
Original post by StormXibalba
All of this may be true but I dont see how they can rank so highly when it is virtually impossible to access an abortion for example.

Northern Ireland actually has more restrictive laws on abortion than the Republic, despite being part of the UK!
Original post by DorianGrayism
Haha....actually...I was going to use Taxi Drivers as one of the examples of racism in Dublin. They actually really dislike Nigerian Taxi Drivers but then they don't really like the competition because of deregulation.

Oh....yeh...I agree that Northern Ireland is a 100x worse than the Republic.

You are probably correct about the mainland UK. I have rose tinted views of racism in the UK because I live in London where there are loads of ethnic minorities, so I never see any behaviour like that.

London is definitely a cosmopoliton city, such a diverse population. I actually plan to move there once I've finished my professional exams.
Northern Ireland actually has more restrictive laws on abortion than the Republic, despite being part of the UK!

I havent heard of anybody in the UK dying after being denied an abortion, wish I could say the same about the ROI.
Original post by StormXibalba
I havent heard of anybody in the UK dying after being denied an abortion, wish I could say the same about the ROI.

N.I has different legislation to GB. The law is even stricter in NI than ROI, despite abortions being legal in GB. The story of Salvita is tragic, I would advocate N.I's laws to fall into line with GB. However, N.I politics is dominated by religious nuts on both sides of the political divide.
(edited 11 years ago)
Where is Liechtenstein/Luxembourg? Am I missing something?...
Original post by Boom533
20120906174747!Trollface.jpg

:wink:

:lol:
Original post by snailsareslimy
Ireland lol.

Ireland is woeful in comparison to Britain (as someone who lives in NI, it's easy to compare them both).
Euro is rubbish, it's generally just a miserable, wet pile of hills... Eg the West. The East is better but still... It's not a "great" place to be born; it's "okay". Plus Dublin isn't terribly great for shopping when you compare it to London or Edinburgh/Glasgow.

I'm not really sold on an index called place-to-be-born myself.
Well OF COURSE the UK is not going to be ahead of any Scandinavian countries or countries like Germany, Holland, Singapore etc. Those countries are generally clean and quite crime-free. Not to mention the excellent standards of education.
Original post by bolly_mad
India beats Russia! :eek:

Well I guess that explains the ever increasing number of Russian gangsters in Goa.

Oh my, oh my! India is such an AMAZING place to be born. it has literally everything. :colondollar:
Original post by doggyfizzel
Well no, who do you think is servicing this huge debt and paying for the services/benefits for this ageing population when they all retire in 15-20 years? Someone being born there now is going to have to pay for that via their taxes and the debt can only be reduced by a combination of increased taxes and reduced services.

True, that didn't really across my mind, but you're right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending