The Student Room Group

Should I learn chain/product/quotient rules for C2?

I've learnt differentiation and it's alright but would it allowed to use these to find derivatives in the C2 exam?
Reply 1
It depends on your Exam Board, if you are on AQA, having learned these differentiation methods will not help you in C2, only basic Integration and Differentiation will be asked.
Reply 2
Original post by Enginerd.
It depends on your Exam Board, if you are on AQA, having learned these differentiation methods will not help you in C2, only basic Integration and Differentiation will be asked.

+1

It depends on the exam board, but yes if there's differentiation in C2

In general, you can use any techniques learnt in earlier modules to solve problems in a given module. This isn't always the case with applied modules.

For example, I remember when I did FP2, we used the partial fractions method from C4 to prove summation formulae using "the method of differences".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by UKBrah
I've learnt differentiation and it's alright but would it allowed to use these to find derivatives in the C2 exam?

you could but you will not need to
Reply 4
Original post by Dr A
+1

It depends on the exam board, but yes if there's differentiation in C2

In general, you can use any techniques learnt in earlier modules to solve problems in a given module. This isn't always the case with applied modules.

For example, I remember when I did FP2, we used the partial fractions method from C4 to prove summation formulae using "the difference of two squares".

Im on MEI.
Yea i learnt partial fractions for method of differences, we do it on FP1. We also do graphs of rational functions, so the quotient rule would be pretty cool to find stationary points.
Reply 5
Original post by UKBrah
Im on MEI.
Yea i learnt partial fractions for method of differences, we do it on FP1. We also do graphs of rational functions, so the quotient rule would be pretty cool to find stationary points.

Yeah, that's what I meant to write, but I accidentally wrote 'the difference of two squares' lol

If only maths so easy lol. Degree-level stuff is tougher (I'm a 1st year :biggrin:).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Dr A
Yeah, that's what I meant to write, but I accidentally wrote 'the difference of two squares' lol

If only maths so easy lol. Degree-level stuff is tougher (I'm a 1st year :biggrin:).

You call yourself Dr.A but your profile says you are 18. Can you please explain?
Original post by steve2005
You call yourself Dr.A but your profile says you are 18. Can you please explain?

What a peculiar question. I don't suppose Dr Dre ever submitted a doctoral thesis and I'm pretty sure Doctor Who didn't qualify from medical school.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
What a peculiar question. I don't suppose Dr Dre ever submitted a doctoral thesis and I'm pretty sure Doctor Who didn't qualify from medical school.

First and last post of Mr M that made me ROFL.

Quick Reply

Latest