The Student Room Group

Food Safety and Supermarkets

So why in supermarkets do they leave the crates of milk just sitting there in the aisle not in the chiller? is that not against food safety protocols? thank you bye
Reply 1
Original post by stmkcltrs
So why in supermarkets do they leave the crates of milk just sitting there in the aisle not in the chiller? is that not against food safety protocols? thank you bye

I used to work at one of the UK's largest supermarket chains. The rule then was that chilled products were allowed to be out of the chiller for up to 30 minutes.

In any case, when you buy chilled stuff at the supermarket it's generally going to be at least 30 minutes between taking the product from the chiller, getting the rest of your shopping, paying, travelling home, and getting it into the fridge at home -- and presumably that doesn't cause you any concern?
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
I used to work at one of the UK's largest supermarket chains. The rule then was that chilled products were allowed to be out of the chiller for up to 30 minutes.
In any case, when you buy chilled stuff at the supermarket it's generally going to be at least 30 minutes between taking the product from the chiller, getting the rest of your shopping, paying, travelling home, and getting it into the fridge at home -- and presumably that doesn't cause you any concern?
true, i just wanted to know whether this was a widely acknowledged fact? and when learning about this does the teaching take this into account etc.

Quick Reply

Latest