The Student Room Group

Further Maths A-level

Hi,
I am choosing to study Maths, bio, chem, economics. i was thinking of changing economics to Fm. would this give me any advantage? For example, would i be able to cover some of my second year A level maths content in the first year of further maths (i will drop Fm in my second year and i would have done the same for economics). Many Thanks
Original post by Anonymous48
Hi,
I am choosing to study Maths, bio, chem, economics. i was thinking of changing economics to Fm. would this give me any advantage? For example, would i be able to cover some of my second year A level maths content in the first year of further maths (i will drop Fm in my second year and i would have done the same for economics). Many Thanks

If you are intending to drop it, why are you doing 4 A Levels? Why not do 3?
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
If you are intending to drop it, why are you doing 4 A Levels? Why not do 3?

our school requires us to do 4 at beginning of year 12 and we can drop the 4th at start of yr13
(edited 7 months ago)
our school requires us to do 4 at beginning of year 12 and we can drop the 4th at start of yr13

Do the further maths. You will learn about the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule for differentiating - which you learn in year 13 maths
Reply 4
Do the further maths. You will learn about the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule for differentiating - which you learn in year 13 maths

ok, thanks for your advice. do you do further maths? and how has it been so far?
ok, thanks for your advice. do you do further maths? and how has it been so far?

I only did A Level maths. I just that at the start of year 13, when we learnt about more methods of differentiation and integration, our teacher told the children in our class that did further maths, to do whatever work they wanted to do.
Reply 6
I only did A Level maths. I just that at the start of year 13, when we learnt about more methods of differentiation and integration, our teacher told the children in our class that did further maths, to do whatever work they wanted to do.

oh ok thanks, is this for edexcel maths and fm? sorry for all the questions
oh ok thanks, is this for edexcel maths and fm? sorry for all the questions

I did AQA A Level maths
Reply 8
Hi,

Depends on how your school runs FM.
If you do all if maths first then FM in year 13 dropping down could provide an advantage as you'll have done the year 13 maths content already.
If they're taught side by side then there's no advantage as AS further maths is essentially isolated topics that don't link to regular maths

Quick Reply

Latest