The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths

Hello. I'm currently studying AS level Health and Social, Government and Politics, Biology, and Sociology. They're going quite well, and I'm predicted AABA. However, the course I'd like to do at uni requires at least a B in GCSE Maths, and I got a C last year. I've opted in for the resit, which takes place in February. I wasn't the best at Maths, but I could get strong C's on higher papers without revision. I was wondering, what can I do to make my revision as efficient as possible, in the hope of achieving an A or B at GCSE? Bear in mind, I haven't done Maths at all since last May, and I have until the end of February to revise all topics without frequent Maths lessons. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi there,

I am also doing my AS levels, and I completely understand your position. I wanted to do History of Art, but for some reason I needed to have a GCSE in Art, which I gave up because I was useless at it. I have found out this year that I am also really enjoying my subjects that I am doing. I am doing History, English, French A-Level, Italian and Geography. I had to choose Geography instead of HofA, and I am currently really enjoying it, but I do not think it was worth skipping out on art.

I would recommend that you sit that Maths exam, I am terrible at Maths, I still got an A* because I worked my socks off at it. It is all up to you, I just personally think that if you really want to do something then it is worth working for it and making sacrifices :smile:
Reply 2
Helpful advice, thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
No problem, good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iShiny
Hello. I'm currently studying AS level Health and Social, Government and Politics, Biology, and Sociology. They're going quite well, and I'm predicted AABA. However, the course I'd like to do at uni requires at least a B in GCSE Maths, and I got a C last year. I've opted in for the resit, which takes place in February. I wasn't the best at Maths, but I could get strong C's on higher papers without revision. I was wondering, what can I do to make my revision as efficient as possible, in the hope of achieving an A or B at GCSE? Bear in mind, I haven't done Maths at all since last May, and I have until the end of February to revise all topics without frequent Maths lessons. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best advice I can give you is read online notes. Some resources are quite brief. Then, as soon as you've read through the theory, hit those exam papers! Do as many as you can! And off by heart. Exam technique is probably the most crucial area if you want to be successful in maths.
Hello there. I'm also doing maths but my course is in modular and so I only get 1gcse out of it. Unit 1 I sat foundation and got a C I got full UMS & I sat it in march 2011. Unit 2 I sat higher but only got a C because I didn't have many resources available to me. Now I'm doing a resit which will be in march but still don't have a lot of revision material . Are there websites which can teach me the higher stuff if so what are they ? Where can I find revision notes going through the whole unit. My exam is on the 6th march with the exam board AQA. How many hours should I spend on maths until the exam. Are there any good videos going through the Unit 2 syllabus . Thanks in advance.
Reply 7
Original post by iShiny

I was wondering, what can I do to make my revision as efficient as possible

Do as many past papers as you can
Silly question but do I have learn topic 2 first then do past papers because I haven't done anything and my exam is in march.. Are there any websites which can help you revise for the exams. Like bite size etc
Reply 9
Original post by Midnight1811
Silly question but do I have learn topic 2 first then do past papers because I haven't done anything and my exam is in march.. Are there any websites which can help you revise for the exams. Like bite size etc

bitesize does

I linked to the book so that you could see what you needed

That was why I did not say past papers to you
Oh ok, thanks for posting the book mate, will look to order it tonight :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest