The Student Room Group

Aqa chemistry unit 2 gcse 24th jan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The only thing im worried is acids,bases and salts.
Reply 22
Original post by LemonFish
Go on the My-GCSEScience website or search for it on youtube, there will be some videos there which can help you with electrolysis :wink:

thanks i used it now im an expert :wink:
Reply 23
The test was okay today actually, the six mark question was a nice one as all the information was there. Oh and nobody in my school managed to work out the empiracal formula, I got N (1) Cu(3)? Anyone else get that? The first question was quite tricky too...?
Original post by ethanethan
The test was okay today actually, the six mark question was a nice one as all the information was there. Oh and nobody in my school managed to work out the empiracal formula, I got N (1) Cu(3)? Anyone else get that? The first question was quite tricky too...?

I also got N (1) C (3) :yep:

And yeah, the six mark question was awesome. I was so glad it was something like that, most of the info was there, just had to add a tad of your own knowledge! :biggrin:

The first question, I think, the cloudiness was due the solid compound (I can't remember the name of it) because it's a precipitate. I wrote something along those lines. What did you write?
Reply 25

I got cu3n too :smile: I thought the first one was tricky too, I said a precipitate is produced but I'm not sure it's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you guys get for the second last question? The calculation one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
If memory serves correctly:

2Fe + ??? --> 2FeCl3 + ???
how many grams of copper chloride does 11.2 grams of copper make.

the mole of Fe (nFe) = mass / ar = 11.2 / (56) = 0.2
the mole of FeCl3 (nFeCl3) = nFe = 0.2
therefore, mass = nFeCl3 * Ar = 0.2*(56+(35.5*3)) = 32.5
Answer... mass = 32.5 grams
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Tayla
I got cu3n too :smile: I thought the first one was tricky too, I said a precipitate is produced but I'm not sure it's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the first question, the products of the reaction were: --> H2O(aq) + NaCl(aq) + S(s)
as Sulfur was the only element to be in solid form (as opposed to aqueous), I too assumed it was a precipitate (insoluble salt), which are generally brightly coloured.

I also got Cu3N as the empirical formula, lets hope it's right :smile:
I got Cu3N for that one too! :biggrin: ^.^

Did anyone else struggle with the questions about Copper Sulfate and the crystals? If anyone could enlighten me about that section, that would be great! :smile:

Otherwise, I thought the paper was fairly easy. Hoping for low grade boundaries and high marks!
Reply 30
Is there any particular part of the Copper Sulphate crystals question you want to be 'enlightened' on, or just a general overview of the process.

As far as I can remember, sulphuric acid and copper hydroxide(in excess) were mixed together, they were heated (this was either to speed it up/provide activation energy or because it's endothermic - I don't know). Next the solution was FILTERED to remove the excess copper hydroxide, after this, the solution was EVAPORATED to remove half of the water & was left to CRYSTALLISE.

the formulae for a neutralisation reaction is: (H+) + (OH-) --> h20
Original post by IsaacIIV
If memory serves correctly:

2Fe + ??? --> 2FeCl3 + ???
how many grams of copper chloride does 11.2 grams of copper make.

the mole of Fe (nFe) = mass / ar = 11.2 / (56) = 0.2
the mole of FeCl3 (nFeCl3) = nFe = 0.2
therefore, mass = nFeCl3 * Ar = 0.2*(56+(35.5*3)) = 32.5
Answer... mass = 32.5 grams

Thanks for that answer. Such a relief...I got 32.5 too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IsaacIIV
Is there any particular part of the Copper Sulphate crystals question you want to be 'enlightened' on, or just a general overview of the process.

As far as I can remember, sulphuric acid and copper hydroxide(in excess) were mixed together, they were heated (this was either to speed it up/provide activation energy or because it's endothermic - I don't know). Next the solution was FILTERED to remove the excess copper hydroxide, after this, the solution was EVAPORATED to remove half of the water & was left to CRYSTALLISE.

the formulae for a neutralisation reaction is: (H+) + (OH-) --> h20

I put the reversible reaction arrows in the neutralisation equation. Hope it doesn't loose me marks....but thanks yet again! You're absolutely correct with the crystals process....should get maximum marks on that:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

Yeah i got that too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending