The Student Room Group

Resits should not be allowed

Scroll to see replies

I have to disagree, resitting makes no difference in technical terms. Think about it like this:

Andrew sits his C1 maths exam in 0.5 months and fails. He prepares for it within that 0.5 months time frame. He then resits his C1 exam 1.5 years later and prepares for it within that 1.5 years time frame. Overall time spent studying for C1 is 2 years.

Beth sits her C1 exam in 2 years and prepares for the C1 exam within that 2 years. Overall time spent studying for C1 is 2 years also.

For those who don't know, C1 is the introductory maths module.
Reply 161
Original post by RemiMarcelle
Ohh for A levels...

I think resits should be allowed because if someone got a really bad grade, and it stops them from getting into the university they want, that's not really fair on them, exams are just a one time moment, even if there is coursework the exam counts for most of your final grade.
I agree, but there should be a limit to resits otherwise 4 resits just gets silly in my opinion... I'd think reducing it to 3 resits may be a start.
Reply 162
Original post by short_n_proud
I have to disagree, resitting makes no difference in technical terms. Think about it like this:

Andrew sits his C1 maths exam in 0.5 months and fails. He prepares for it within that 0.5 months time frame. He then resits his C1 exam 1.5 years later and prepares for it within that 1.5 years time frame. Overall time spent studying for C1 is 2 years.

Beth sits her C1 exam in 2 years and prepares for the C1 exam within that 2 years. Overall time spent studying for C1 is 2 years also.

For those who don't know, C1 is the introductory maths module.
But short, I studied C1 maths in the first 4months and I got around 98ums, just bringing that to the end of two years is just delaying success for certain students... if you do a horrible combination like

Maths, Further Maths, Science Science Science, having all those exams at the end is gonna kill you. (not literally)
Some people on this thread actually make me feel quite sick.
Of course everyone deserves a second chance, that's not an unfair advantage though because the chance is open to everyone to resit, not just those who need too. Like for example I got an E in my economics module, but people who got a B were also resitting.
Disregarding your desperate pleas for people to say that you are smart and superior to everyone else, I think that resits should be capped at something like two. I resat my GCSE History (I know that A levels are a lot harder) because I was pretty ill during the exam, and I kind of underestimated how much I had to revise. I don't think that extenuating circumstances or mistakes should stop you from doing what you want. But making the mistake twice would be a bit ridiculous.
I hope you lot down south realise how lucky you are. Up here in Scotland you get one chance. Our version of resitting is re-doing the entire course.
Reply 166
When I was doing my GCSEs, I had a lot of health problems which prevented me from doing well. For this reason, I probably should have done resits for a fair few exams. I was disappointed with my results, but at the end of the day, that's just life. I can't blame something I couldn't control on my GCSEs, because it was me taking them. I did deserve better grades for the amount of work I put in, but in the end, I was so ill that I ended up passing out in some of my exams.

Did I retake them? No. Why? Because I knew I'd achieved the best grades I could given the circumstances, and as long as I know I've done my best, I'll be happy with the result.
Original post by lizz-ie
When I was doing my GCSEs, I had a lot of health problems which prevented me from doing well. For this reason, I probably should have done resits for a fair few exams. I was disappointed with my results, but at the end of the day, that's just life. I can't blame something I couldn't control on my GCSEs, because it was me taking them. I did deserve better grades for the amount of work I put in, but in the end, I was so ill that I ended up passing out in some of my exams.

Did I retake them? No. Why? Because I knew I'd achieved the best grades I could given the circumstances, and as long as I know I've done my best, I'll be happy with the result.

But don't you feel that future employers/unis should have an idea of what someones actual academic potential is rather than their academic potential under duress?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If this was the case, nobody I know would of got into the decent unis that they did, (Loughborough, Oxford, etc) plus, you are paying for it so really it's a pain for you and it doesn't devalue those who haven't had to resit, you were just lucky :colondollar:
At the end of the day, the person who resits it to get an A still knows the course and understands it albeit it's took them longer. I think getting an A first time round says a lot in that they've worked harder or have grasped it faster. But for the people who have taken 2/3 years out they're life to get an A or so surely deserve it if they're that committed or believe that they are capable of a higher grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170
Original post by Sheldor
But don't you feel that future employers/unis should have an idea of what someones actual academic potential is rather than their academic potential under duress?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if someone has health problems while they're working, they don't get to retake their job!
Original post by member591354
It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artificially raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.

Some people just don't well in a certain exam after doing well previously. It doesn't neccessarily mean they're lazy, people I know have done great during then year then flopped in the exam. It doesn't cheat the system and for my re-take in January, I had a lot less time to revise. I re-took some of my exams because I didn't work that effectively however now I've changed the way I work and felt much more prepared the second time. If someone was lazy or didn't do any work then failed, I'd question why they were doing A-levels. However, I do agree with you to some extent because you hear about some people taking six or seven re-takes in one sitting and it's ridiculous.
Reply 172
I bet this is Michael Gove!
Original post by lizz-ie
Well if someone has health problems while they're working, they don't get to retake their job!

No, but they take leave and return to their jobs when they recover. Could you imagine the uproar if all cancer patients lost their jobs? Anyway, I'm assuming you weren't sick for the whole of your life, just that period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 174
Original post by Sheldor
No, but they take leave and return to their jobs when they recover. Could you imagine the uproar if all cancer patients lost their jobs? Anyway, I'm assuming you weren't sick for the whole of your life, just that period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For about 9 months, pretty much the whole of year 11. It still affects me sometimes now, though.
Original post by lizz-ie
For about 9 months, pretty much the whole of year 11. It still affects me sometimes now, though.

Wow, sounds pretty bad. Not meaning to be nosy, but what was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by Sheldor
Wow, sounds pretty bad. Not meaning to be nosy, but what was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't actually know. I just kept getting migraines every day (as in the ones where you see things in front of your vision and your fingers go numb), kept going really dizzy and almost fainting, couldn't concentrate and had no energy, it was horrible :frown:
Reply 177
OP, They resit, they get punished by finishing their education much later than everyone else. You are smart, you get the grades the first shot, you get rewarded by being a high flyer. I dont see any problem with that. Maybe the ones who have to resit didnt do well the first time because he was ousted by other candidates who were resitting? How is it fair that he is denied the same chance as that other candidate? If that IS fair, then how is it not unfair that you are blaming your bad grades on resit candidates? If you are really so flawlessly good, you would have made your grades regardless of whether anybody is resitting. I bet if the fellow who is resitting the 2nd 3rd or gazillion times would have got his grades in high school if he knew people would grow to become as stupid cynical and rotten as you are. Even if resits were to be barred, and im not saying that this would benefit you in any remotely possible way because it is so obvious you are immature and shortsighted and think without using your brain, they ought to have done it right from the start when "education" was invented. If second chances werent allowed i dont see how the system can qualify as "teaching" someone. We should have just taken off all our clothes and kill each other since all that democracy equality civilization would all have been a big fat lie.
Original post by HenryD
It clearly doesn't and if it did, as I already said you could just not sit the exams at the first opportunity, it's entirely your choice. Really, they shouldn't be tolerated? So you **** up once, and bam, can't get to your first choice Uni. Seems like a poor system to me. That's Uni, this is sixth form. What's your point?

Well (perhaps this doesn't apply to you but to anyone reading this thread and getting worried) don't believe that what he's saying is true of all universities. Mine is very understanding of personal circumstances - there are some with families, some (like me) with health issues, some just having a tough time, and the university is very understanding and helpful. If you get into issues at uni, don't be concerned that you'll be left on your own and told to clear off - it's not necessarily true.
Reply 179
Original post by madders94
Well (perhaps this doesn't apply to you but to anyone reading this thread and getting worried) don't believe that what he's saying is true of all universities. Mine is very understanding of personal circumstances - there are some with families, some (like me) with health issues, some just having a tough time, and the university is very understanding and helpful. If you get into issues at uni, don't be concerned that you'll be left on your own and told to clear off - it's not necessarily true.

Health issues and the death of relatives will generally get you a lot of leeway, but what I was talking about were those really awful days we've all had where you just can't do the subject, no matter how good you are. If you didn't get a second chance after those you'd be in big trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest