The Student Room Group

What would happen

I have a theoretical question. What are the options if you have to leave with an ordinary degree. My uni doesn't allow retaking the year nor does it allow resits so you only get one chance. Should you retake three years of uni elsewhere? Ive heard that you cant directly join into the third year of some unis and the graduate prospects for top up degrees are very low.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unis will accept individuals with a Higher National Diploma onto their degree programmes to 'top up' their diploma to a degree. However, you will need to approach individual unis to ask if they would be willing to accept you onto their honours year (final year) if you already have a degree in the subject. Highly unlikely.

I cannot believe that a uni will not allow individuals to resit a module they have failed. I thought it was standard policy across all unis. It's true that it's up to individual unis if they allow you to resit the year but all unis should allow you to resit a failed module.
Reply 2
I agree with @mike23mike, you must be given the opportunity to resit a failed module. Check this as a matter of urgency.

It is extremely difficult if not impossible to join a degree programme in L6, there are far too many boxes to tick in terms of equivalency at L4 and L5. And university regs may prevent it.

Top ups are typically for students with FDs, HNDs and L4 undergrad study. I've never heard of someone with an ordinary degree doing one but it may be possible. You will probably have to do a lot of research into top ups and find out early on if you would be a suitable applicant.

Your best bet to to try and secure a resit opportunity with your current university.
Reply 3
Original post by mike23mike
Unis will accept individuals with a Higher National Diploma onto their degree programmes to 'top up' their diploma to a degree. However, you will need to approach individual unis to ask if they would be willing to accept you onto their honours year (final year) if you already have a degree in the subject. Highly unlikely.

I cannot believe that a uni will not allow individuals to resit a module they have failed. I thought it was standard policy across all unis. It's true that it's up to individual unis if they allow you to resit the year but all unis should allow you to resit a failed module.

There isnt. Its clearly written in the handbook
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
I agree with @mike23mike, you must be given the opportunity to resit a failed module. Check this as a matter of urgency.

It is extremely difficult if not impossible to join a degree programme in L6, there are far too many boxes to tick in terms of equivalency at L4 and L5. And university regs may prevent it.

Top ups are typically for students with FDs, HNDs and L4 undergrad study. I've never heard of someone with an ordinary degree doing one but it may be possible. You will probably have to do a lot of research into top ups and find out early on if you would be a suitable applicant.

Your best bet to to try and secure a resit opportunity with your current university.

Right restarting university it is then : |
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
There isnt. Its clearly written in the handbook

Was surprised as you the first time i heard this though. Its a top 10 Uni so maybe that's why? idk the reasoning for it.
Was surprised as you the first time i heard this though. Its a top 10 Uni so maybe that's why? idk the reasoning for it.

Which uni? I went to a top 10 and they allowed resits as do all the other top unis I know people went to.
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Which uni? I went to a top 10 and they allowed resits as do all the other top unis I know people went to.

UoM
Reply 9

Do you have any suggestions. I think a direct entry if possible might be my only choice.
Reply 10

Not for our course in y3
Do you have any suggestions. I think a direct entry if possible might be my only choice.

I provided a link showing Manchester does offer resits so you need to enquire about this first before any other action.
Reply 12
I provided a link showing Manchester does offer resits so you need to enquire about this first before any other action.

I have checked. Again as i have mentioned it is written in our course handbook. Do you have any advice of what to do next?
I have checked. Again as i have mentioned it is written in our course handbook. Do you have any advice of what to do next?

I find this very hard to believe, what subject are you studying? I’ve been looking at the UoM handbooks for many other subjects and they all allow resits.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
I find this very hard to believe, what subject are you studying. I’ve been looking at the UoM handbooks for many other subjects and they all allow resits.

My guy. Why would I lie about this?
Reply 15
I have just glanced through the UoM academic regs. It looks to me that you can be referred at L6 which is another way of saying resit. Can I suggest that rather than taking what your handbook says that you speak to your programme administrator and/or SU for clarification on this. You need to absolutely sure before you accept an ordinary degree. You won't be able to reverse that decision
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by cheadle
I have just glanced through the UoM academic regs. It looks to me that you can be referred at L6 which is another way of saying resit. Can I suggest that rather than taking what your handbook says that you speak to your programme administrator and/or SU for clarification on this. You need to absolutely sure before you accept an ordinary degree. You won't be able to reverse that decision

Right, Ill go check again. What do you recommend i do if otherwise?
Reply 17
I have another question.
Has your programme exam board met yet and have you had an official results letter?
Reply 18
Original post by cheadle

I found Manchester's "Assessment Framework" document at https://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=7333

If you search that for "resit" there's a couple of places where it states that resits are only available in years 1 and 2:

e.g.: "Assessments where resit opportunities exist (e.g. years 1 or 2 of a 3 year programme or programmes with PSRB requirements which allow final year resits)" and "Assessments (including coursework) where resit opportunities cannot be offered as an option (e.g. in the final year of a programme)" [page 87]

(PSRB = "Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies")
Reply 19
I looked at the UG Degree Regs v.2.8 October 2022 which appear to be the latest version
https://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=13147

Section D Assessment and Progression
11. Where a student has failed more than the required credits on the first attempt, or fails to meet progression
requirements after compensation or reassessment, the Examination Board has the following options at its
discretion:
Withdraw the student and award an Exit Award if criteria are met in accordance with table 1 (section A, page
2).
Permit the student to retake the level (see section I on repeating the level)
Permit the student to carry over up to 20 credits (see section H on carrying forward failed credit) in exceptional
circumstances, as defined by an Examination Board

- Consider reassessment, where there is approved and verified mitigation.
12. The progression rules....apply to progression to and from any year of study, regardless of level, except
when progressing to the final year (level 7) of an Integrated Masters degree (see D15).

But yes @martin7 there are differet rules for PSRB programmes - and we don't know if this applicable here.
14. Schools may have alternative progression and assessment regulations where these are required by Professional,
Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRBs). However, should students fail to meet PSRB standards, but have
succeeded in achieving University standards then a ‘non-professional’ alternative award may be awarded by an
Examination Board.

It would be helpful if the OP could indicate if this is applicable.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending