The Student Room Group

Uni of Cambridge, are my resits going to hold me back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
I honestly don't take it to heart anyway, member supposedly says he got an offer for Cambridge but I highly doubt that, more like self-loathing the fact he got rejected prior to interview, perhaps.

Haha, you wish! :rolleyes: Is this enough proof for you? http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Anonymous284/media/gggggggg_zps54847cdd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
(edited 11 years ago)

what subject?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
what subject?

Why should it concern you? :rolleyes: One of the most competitive ones, that is all I will say.
Original post by member591354
Why should it concern you? :rolleyes: One of the most competitive ones, that is all I will say.

Just curious... no need to be so defensive about it.
Just curious... no need to be so defensive about it.

Do you believe me that I have this offer now? Robbie was too hasty in his assumptions about my achievements, huh?
Alright cheers for all the information, I'm fairly confident I'll manage to pull 90+ out of the bag on econ as well, I heard they don't really mind if an irrelevant subject like History falls down to a B/C (though hoping for A's!) is this the case? and lastly what do you think would be a good plan of action, as lots of STEP III and II content requires quite a bit of C3/C4/FP2/FP3 etc knowledge, would it be smart to look at them, but also start some of my A2 modules early, or go along with my class and attempt to learn some of STEP's tricks? thanks a lot for the insight

I have heard people say this too (about the fourth irrelevant subject), and actually I think my DoS (who also handles Maths admissions in my college) would say that. However, I don't know anyone who didn't get all A's (this was the last year before A*'s). Basically, I don't know, but you should be aiming for the A!

STEP II has no further maths knowledge required afaik. I would suggest starting by looking at the Siklos booklet on the STEP website, and looking at the pure STEP I questions, as these can tend towards 'tricks'/logical thinking rather than A level type methods. If you're taking Maths and FM at the same time you will have to be learning some stuff from C3/C4 a bit early anyway (probably from your FM teacher). It's not like A level maths is very hard anyway. If you get an offer, you will need to be working on STEP II and III before you have necessarily learnt the material for them, but I wouldn't say you have to before the interview.
Reply 26
Do you believe me that I have this offer now? Robbie was too hasty in his assumptions about my achievements, huh?

It's pretty sad that you felt the need to upload/get a picture of an offer letter - in fact, usually when someone goes to such extreme lengths to 'prove' something, I'll start thinking they're lying.

Don't read the above as me thinking you don't have an offer, I don't care enough, I just thought I'd point it out :lol:
Original post by Noble.
It's pretty sad that you felt the need to upload/get a picture of an offer letter - in fact, usually when someone goes to such extreme lengths to 'prove' something, I'll start thinking they're lying.

Don't read the above as me thinking you don't have an offer, I don't care enough, I just thought I'd point it out :lol:

Where the hell would I obtain that online? I do, literally, have an offer! :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Looks like an obvious fake
Reply 29
Original post by milienhaus
I have heard people say this too (about the fourth irrelevant subject), and actually I think my DoS (who also handles Maths admissions in my college) would say that. However, I don't know anyone who didn't get all A's (this was the last year before A*'s). Basically, I don't know, but you should be aiming for the A!

STEP II has no further maths knowledge required afaik. I would suggest starting by looking at the Siklos booklet on the STEP website, and looking at the pure STEP I questions, as these can tend towards 'tricks'/logical thinking rather than A level type methods. If you're taking Maths and FM at the same time you will have to be learning some stuff from C3/C4 a bit early anyway (probably from your FM teacher). It's not like A level maths is very hard anyway. If you get an offer, you will need to be working on STEP II and III before you have necessarily learnt the material for them, but I wouldn't say you have to before the interview.
Yeah I will be, if I'm lucky my remarks may bump me up to two A's.
I see thanks, and yeah I suppose we start our A2 modules after AS (completely forgot about this) so I don't know how long we'll be doing them for but over summer I'll try read ahead and start practicing some STEP. Cheers for all the answers and sorry for all the questions!
I do know a friend who got fairly low AS grades (AABBD), then applied during a gap year (after resits, achieving mainly A*s in the end), and got an offer for languages at Cambridge. So they don't have an issue with a few resits, although they will ask for all your grades on the SAQ so presumably are looking for a significant improvement between the first exam and the resit. However, maths is more competitive than languages, and even if you do get an offer you may still fail to meet it due to STEP. Also, you probably haven't taken the best subject combination, which may count against you.
I think you mentioned earlier (or maybe someone else did...) that you thought that they wouldn't mind so much if you got a low grade in a less related subject. I have been led to believe that this is only really the case if it is a 4th or 5th A level, as you must still show an ability to cope with the 'normal' number of A levels (3 A2s and 4ASs) and achieve the top grades.
Basically, resit your bad exams and try to aim for 90%+ in all your subjects, particularly maths + Further maths.
Looks like an obvious fake

I could take a photograph of the letter from a distance but I can't be bothered. I have an offer, and you never will. Deal with it.

PS taking all FM modules in the summer

Why? What modules are you taking? How can you do FM after you've only done Core 1?
Yeah I will be, if I'm lucky my remarks may bump me up to two A's.
I see thanks, and yeah I suppose we start our A2 modules after AS (completely forgot about this) so I don't know how long we'll be doing them for but over summer I'll try read ahead and start practicing some STEP. Cheers for all the answers and sorry for all the questions!

No problem!

To clarify, you'll probably be fine starting STEP I without reading ahead. You won't be able to do all the questions, but that's fine, and most should be doable.
Reply 35
Original post by JerzyDudek
Why? What modules are you taking? How can you do FM after you've only done Core 1?
FP1,M1,S2... I wasn't allowed to take FM due to only having a B at GCSE and I've come along way since then and they're finally entering me after my 98 in Core 1, Further maths isn't much different from standard maths in AS year anyways so its perfectly manageable to self-teach and gives me a headstart when I actually have to self-teach
I could take a photograph of the letter from a distance but I can't be bothered. I have an offer, and you never will. Deal with it.

But how do you know that? Are you a fortune teller? :colonhash:
But how do you know that? Are you a fortune teller? :colonhash:

ABC at AS? Please. There would be a definite mistake if he received an offer!

He's resitting the B and the C so he hasn't got his final grades... yet.

He hasn't actually got ABC at AS it's only for January exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest