The Student Room Group

Applying with resits

Hi. I did not achieve the grades I wanted in my a-levels this year and was wondering how likely I am to be able to get into my ideal university with resits (entry requirements are A*A*A).
I would be applying with more than good enough predicted grades but I fear my previous achieved grades may hold me back.
Hi there. This would 100% depend on the course you’re applying for and also the uni. For example, most Russel Group unis don’t really like resits and are more likely to reject you because they’re not a fan of them. However, there’s still a large number of still really good unis that aren’t Russel Group and would still accept you even with resits. Personally, I’d check with the institution though myself. You can find the emails for admissions teams for your course online and I’d recommend popping them a message to find out exactly where you stand so you know whether your resits would be accepted or not.
Reply 2
I disagree with the Russell group statement but agree about checking with the institution- many Russell groups do accept resits do not stress but as they said it depends on how competitive the course is- depending on your circumstances you can apply for extenuating circumstances to explain the reasons behind your lower grades before applying so then you'll know if they'll accept an application from you before. Blanket statements about Russell groups isn't accurate as so many courses do accept resits including medicine and dentistry within Russell group unis but you need to look at the entry requirements closely and contact your unis first.
Original post by bananasplit20
Hi there. This would 100% depend on the course you’re applying for and also the uni. For example, most Russel Group unis don’t really like resits and are more likely to reject you because they’re not a fan of them. However, there’s still a large number of still really good unis that aren’t Russel Group and would still accept you even with resits. Personally, I’d check with the institution though myself. You can find the emails for admissions teams for your course online and I’d recommend popping them a message to find out exactly where you stand so you know whether your resits would be accepted or not.
For most courses you will be fine but a small number may give preference to those who achieved grades in one go. As above, best to check and see how encouraging they are.
Reply 4
What did you achieve and what subject,?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending