The Student Room Group

Can I still go Oxbridge, LSE, UCL for economics with AS results AABC ?

Im an international who sat the international AS levels in year 12 (now going to year 13), and didnt meet what i wanted unfortunately. Im aspiring to study economics at a top uni like cambridge, lse or ucl, however there isnt much info about AS level requirements. Obviously ideal situation is 4 A's, however I got a A in maths, A Econ, B Physics (few off a A), and unfortunately a C in Computer science. I was wondering whether that C in computing throws me off for Cambridge, LSE, UCL, or even the fact that i just fell short of an A in physics. Im wondering whether, since computing isnt a related subject, whether they wouldnt consider this too bad, however many other students worldwide wouldve gotten 4 A's which makes them far more competitive as an applicant. Also do they consider exact UMS scores and how high is it.

Conversely I wonder whether the AS matters, since Im dropping computing, all the related subjects I did well, so as long as I get predicted 4 A*s iin my A2 predicted grades, since I'm doing maths, further maths, econ (which i can all be predicted an A*), and either predicted an A or A* in physics as my 4th. Do they care more about my predicted grades from my school or would the C and B make me unsuitable? To back myself up, ive got 8s and 9s for (I)GCSES and a potentially good personal statement, so what are my chances sayin?
(edited 8 months ago)
Applicants applying to competitive courses offered by Oxbridge and top unis tend to have predicted grade A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*A or A*A*A*, and I've got AAAB in my AS exam last night, 3As in further maths, physics, and maths, then B in computer science. I am disappointed with my results since I didn't get all As and I might not get the predicted grade A*A*A*A* which are the most ideal grades when applying to computer science course. I don't know much about Economics, but I do know that it is a course that many people applies to, so I assume the admissioners are looking for students with exceptional grades just like in Computer Science. Unless you have done an internal exam in your school which is not official, it will be fine for your application as you don't have to put down the grades you've got in AS on your UCAS. On the other hand, if the grades you've got is the result you sat in the official AS level exam, then you must put them down on your UCAS website, which the university admissioners will have a look at, making you less competitive than others, as you said. Well done for your GCSE results though, but the AS level exams are far more important than GCSEs.

My computer science teacher told me he might be able to give me an A* in computer science since I've always been getting an A in the mock exams just like you, but realistically, I think the chances of him giving me an A* is quite low due to my AS level result.. But there might be a chance he might be giving me A* if I work hard enough. Try revising the contents you will be learning in your A level from now(if you haven't started yet), and in this way you will be able to learn things the teacher say much more efficiently and faster than others who haven't (leading to achieving higher grades)

You still got chance getting accepted to the top unis if you have an exceptional personal statement that can impress the uni admissioners, while doing great on the uni admissions tests (if they have one). Good luck!
I think that while it may affect you a bit, it will not hinder you. I saw this TikToker who went to Oxbridge (I can't remember which one), and she said that she focused on the top three subjects her course required and completely abandoned the last one, English Literature. You can still go from B to A* though you will need a very high A2 score. I would say go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by lheeseung_05
Applicants applying to competitive courses offered by Oxbridge and top unis tend to have predicted grade A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*A or A*A*A*, and I've got AAAB in my AS exam last night, 3As in further maths, physics, and maths, then B in computer science. I am disappointed with my results since I didn't get all As and I might not get the predicted grade A*A*A*A* which are the most ideal grades when applying to computer science course. I don't know much about Economics, but I do know that it is a course that many people applies to, so I assume the admissioners are looking for students with exceptional grades just like in Computer Science. Unless you have done an internal exam in your school which is not official, it will be fine for your application as you don't have to put down the grades you've got in AS on your UCAS. On the other hand, if the grades you've got is the result you sat in the official AS level exam, then you must put them down on your UCAS website, which the university admissioners will have a look at, making you less competitive than others, as you said. Well done for your GCSE results though, but the AS level exams are far more important than GCSEs.

My computer science teacher told me he might be able to give me an A* in computer science since I've always been getting an A in the mock exams just like you, but realistically, I think the chances of him giving me an A* is quite low due to my AS level result.. But there might be a chance he might be giving me A* if I work hard enough. Try revising the contents you will be learning in your A level from now(if you haven't started yet), and in this way you will be able to learn things the teacher say much more efficiently and faster than others who haven't (leading to achieving higher grades)

You still got chance getting accepted to the top unis if you have an exceptional personal statement that can impress the uni admissioners, while doing great on the uni admissions tests (if they have one). Good luck!

Hi thanks for your response. Congrats on AAAB, thats a really good score! Thing is for me, I'm dropping the computer science course and we do further maths in year 13 (didnt allow the option in year 12 weirdly enough). Thus I'd not be applying with my computing grades but rather with my further maths predicted. In FM I've gotten near 100% on many practice school tests thus I'd be eligible for an A* as predicted. This makes my predictions for maths, A*, FM, A*, Econ A*, and Physics A (or if I can convince my teacher for an A* somehow but probably not). So I wouldn't have computing as my one of my predicted grades (although it is still a qualification). Hence it isn't really the case that I can pre-learn for the coming year as I'm dropping it. Or should I perhaps do a resit of computing? Or would that be pointless for early applicants since the resits are in November?
Reply 4
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
I think that while it may affect you a bit, it will not hinder you. I saw this TikToker who went to Oxbridge (I can't remember which one), and she said that she focused on the top three subjects her course required and completely abandoned the last one, English Literature. You can still go from B to A* though you will need a very high A2 score. I would say go for it!

Thanks a lot! I will still try my very best. Its frustrating since I was only a few marks off an A, which would predict me an A* instead of a predicted A. Hence I am very much capable of it, just gotta prove that to my teachers now!
Original post by uknown12345
Hi thanks for your response. Congrats on AAAB, thats a really good score! Thing is for me, I'm dropping the computer science course and we do further maths in year 13 (didnt allow the option in year 12 weirdly enough). Thus I'd not be applying with my computing grades but rather with my further maths predicted. In FM I've gotten near 100% on many practice school tests thus I'd be eligible for an A* as predicted. This makes my predictions for maths, A*, FM, A*, Econ A*, and Physics A (or if I can convince my teacher for an A* somehow but probably not). So I wouldn't have computing as my one of my predicted grades (although it is still a qualification). Hence it isn't really the case that I can pre-learn for the coming year as I'm dropping it. Or should I perhaps do a resit of computing? Or would that be pointless for early applicants since the resits are in November?

Yeah if you are applying with 4 A*s, then you will have a higher chance of getting into top unis. To be honest, I am finding computer science quite frustrating as I had no experience of the subject until I joined college in Year 12, I had to put in extra work while people in my CS class seemed to know the contents already. I saw the grade boundaries for A level computer science and only few percentage of people get A* on the test, I'm just hoping I will be doing better in my second year. The coursework is annoying me as well as I started the project last month, but I can't seem to progress fast enough due to lack of knowledge in programming and also the heavy documentation I need to make worth 100 pages.. I really do want to tell you to drop computer science and do further maths instead based on my current point of view, as I can just see myself having no social life once Year 13 begins. In my opinion, computer science is much harder than Further Maths, Physics, and Maths (maybe because I didn't choose computer science for GCSEs)
Reply 6
Don't apply to all of these 3 Unis - your chances of three straight rejections are very high.

They get THOUSANDS of applications for subjects like Econ - not because any of these Unis are 'better' but simply because they are 'Cambridge' or 'in London'. This means your chances of an offer from them, even if you meet/exceed the entry requirements, are slim and my advice is always 'Oxbridge plus one London Uni' with three out of London - look at Manchester, Bath, Bristol etc - and include a sensible lower grade Insurance.
Reply 7
Original post by uknown12345
Im an international who sat the international AS levels in year 12 (now going to year 13), and didnt meet what i wanted unfortunately. Im aspiring to study economics at a top uni like cambridge, lse or ucl, however there isnt much info about AS level requirements. Obviously ideal situation is 4 A's, however I got a A in maths, A Econ, B Physics (few off a A), and unfortunately a C in Computer science. I was wondering whether that C in computing throws me off for Cambridge, LSE, UCL, or even the fact that i just fell short of an A in physics. Im wondering whether, since computing isnt a related subject, whether they wouldnt consider this too bad, however many other students worldwide wouldve gotten 4 A's which makes them far more competitive as an applicant. Also do they consider exact UMS scores and how high is it.

Conversely I wonder whether the AS matters, since Im dropping computing, all the related subjects I did well, so as long as I get predicted 4 A*s iin my A2 predicted grades, since I'm doing maths, further maths, econ (which i can all be predicted an A*), and either predicted an A or A* in physics as my 4th. Do they care more about my predicted grades from my school or would the C and B make me unsuitable? To back myself up, ive got 8s and 9s for (I)GCSES and a potentially good personal statement, so what are my chances sayin?

Not sure about oxbridge, but have you considered US universities? They’re a bit more lenient with academics and so you might want to consider applying there.
Reply 8
Original post by stemguy
Not sure about oxbridge, but have you considered US universities? They’re a bit more lenient with academics and so you might want to consider applying there.

Overseas fees and living costs in the US = ££££££.
Original post by McGinger

Also, as an international student, I feel that applying to UK is easier (the process).
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger

Yes, however, there are plenty of scholarship options, especially with Canadian universities. You might want to take a deeper look as you may just find it appealing. :smile:
n/a
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by lheeseung_05

I want to apply to Comp Sci too. Are you applying to oxbridge? if so how is MAT preparation going?
Original post by etherealstars
I want to apply to Comp Sci too. Are you applying to oxbridge? if so how is MAT preparation going?

I'm applying to Cambridge, and they require me to take TMUA instead of MAT. I'm just getting in the top 33% boundary at the moment which is 6.5 TMUA score, but I think I will be able to improve by TMUA exam date. I've attempted questions of MAT from 2007 to 2015, and been achieving over mean scores of the students who got the interview from Oxford, sometimes achieving score for an offer as well. I think MAT is better than TMUA because it gives you chance to build up to gain 15 marks eventually, but on the other hand in TMUA, no matter how much of work you've shown, if you choose wrong letter, you just get 5 marks off. I admit the difficulty in MAT is harder, but I don't think there is a huge difference in my opinion. I think I will be taking both admissions test, as Warwick and Imperial College London might have a look at my MAT score.
It's always paper 2 which is holding me back from achieving high grades in TMUA, as they test your logic + maths, and I struggled so much at first due to lack of English, but I'm seeing improvement gradually by watching Youtube videos explaining most concepts I need to know for TMUA. My friend who got into King's College(Statistics) said his MAT score stayed the same or similar everytime he's done the past paper, when he only have done preparing for MAT for 2 months. Now I'm starting to agree with him, as MAT is the admissions test which is assessing 5 years worth Maths you've learnt so far from primary school in advanced level. There will be some people who are seeing improvements, but I haven't seeing much improvements so far from MAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending