The Student Room Group

Labour supporting Duncan Smith in defending slave work at Poundland

Well, this is shabby and disgraceful. Labour are to support emergency legislation early next week to enable Ian Duncan Smith to rush through a bill which prevents the DWP from having to pay minimum wage or compensation to the thousands of people who were forced to work at Poundland and other stores or have their benefit stopped.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/15/dwp-law-change-jobseekers-poundland

The bill is the worst kind of retrospective legislation.

This relates to the case won a month ago by former Birmingham University student Cait Reilly, who was instructed to work at Poundland doing shelf stacking for no pay or lose benefits.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2257547

That opened the way for law centres and poverty campaigners to sue the DWP for re-imbursement of benefits to those who had them stopped and payment of national minimum wage.

People sent to work should be paid at least the NMW. I hope this now goes all the way to Europe, but it is absolutely disgusting that Milliband is supporting this legislation, which basically says that young people on JSA are worthless and their rights should be ignored.

Scroll to see replies

Shabby and disgraceful. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Reply 2
I was just about to start a thread on this. I don't think I'm unjustified in saying this is the moment where the government crossed the line into dictatorship. Passing retrospective legislation when found to be doing something illegal is the sort of thing I'd expect from Gadaffi or someone like that.

The judiciary has been the only thing keeping the government back in the past couple of years. The government know this and that's why they're cutting legal aid this year so none of the disabled or jobless have anything they can do but die in their own filth.

This is the beginnings of the sort of crisis that leads to revolution.

I am utterly astounded that Labour are supporting this, talk about out of touch. I had hoped the worm was beginning to turn. Good point about Europe. I hope it does go all the way to the ECHR and our country is shamed in front of billions on the world stage for its spiteful abuses of our human rights.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
I was just about to start a thread on this. I don't think I'm unjustified in saying this is the moment where the government crossed the line into dictatorship. Passing retrospective legislation when found to be doing something illegal is the sort of thing I'd expect from Gadaffi or someone like that.

The judiciary has been the only thing keeping the government back in the past couple of years. The government know this and that's why they're cutting legal aid this year so none of the disabled or jobless have anything they can do but die in their own filth.

This is the beginnings of the sort of crisis that leads to revolution.

It's certainly one of the things (along with the move to secret courts and regular attempts to get rid of access to jury trials) and what's chilling about it is the way Milliband is rolling over - I suspect there is more going on about this than we realise. Labour are still petrified of being painted in the Tory press as "soft on the scroungers" and will do anything they can to submit to the right-wing agenda on the treatment of the poor.

Sickening stuff really.
Reply 4
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well, this is shabby and disgraceful. Labour are to support emergency legislation early next week to enable Ian Duncan Smith to rush through a bill which prevents the DWP from having to pay minimum wage or compensation to the thousands of people who were forced to work at Poundland and other stores or have their benefit stopped.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/15/dwp-law-change-jobseekers-poundland

This relates to the case won a month ago by former Birmingham University student Cait Reilly, who was instructed to work at Poundland doing shelf stacking for no pay or lose benefits.

That opened the way for law centres and poverty campaigners to sue the DWP for re-imbursement of benefits to those who had them stopped and payment of national minimum wage.

People sent to work should be paid at least the NMW. I hope this now goes all the way to Europe, but it is absolutely disgusting that Milliband is supporting this legislation, which basically says that young people on JSA are worthless and their rights should be ignored.

It's a difficult situation but at least they get work experience
Reply 5
Sets a rather worrying precedent.
Reply 6
Original post by a729
It's a difficult situation but at least they get work experience

How much work experience is working at Poundland going to get you though? Making people do work experience if they can't get jobs makes sense but I'm not sure if something at Poundland for a Science Grad as the original case was is really that useful. Plus if they have openings for unpaid work why don't they have them for paid? It's not like the sort of wages you get doing this work is going to bankrupt the company.

I think Labour supporting this has far more to do with them wanting to avoid the 140 Million pay out. Most governments would do all they could to get around that.
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
How much work experience is working at Poundland going to get you though? Making people do work experience if they can't get jobs makes sense but I'm not sure if something at Poundland for a Science Grad as the original case was is really that useful. Plus if they have openings for unpaid work why don't they have them for paid? It's not like the sort of wages you get doing this work is going to bankrupt the company.

I think Labour supporting this has far more to do with them wanting to avoid the 140 Million pay out. Most governments would do all they could to get around that.

Work experience of any sort is better than been on the dole/JSA when it comes to your CV full stop.
Reply 8
Original post by a729
Work experience of any sort is better than been on the dole/JSA when it comes to your CV full stop.

Not at Poundland. Workfare should benefit the community. As it is it is Danegeld to the massive private companies who run the capitalist world.

(The government pays a good whack of people's wages as it is with tax credits and housing benefit to top up the paltry minimum wage to something liveable.)
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
Plus if they have openings for unpaid work why don't they have them for paid? It's not like the sort of wages you get doing this work is going to bankrupt the company.

This is the issue I have with it. It's not as if she was doing work for a charity or a non-for-profit organisation.
Original post by OU Student
This is the issue I have with it. It's not as if she was doing work for a charity or a non-for-profit organisation.

Precisely. The scheme actually opens the door to the re-acceptance of slave conditions and that is no exaggeration - the repeated claims of high Tories that it's "all in the unemployed's best interests" are hokum. Absolutely classic exploitation of the young and of workers - if this was happening in another country in W. Europe, the media would be all over it, calling it a "return to Nazi labour conditions".
Reply 11
Original post by scrotgrot
Not at Poundland. Workfare should benefit the community. As it is it is Danegeld to the massive private companies who run the capitalist world.

(The government pays a good whack of people's wages as it is with tax credits and housing benefit to top up the paltry minimum wage to something liveable.)

Still i think benefit claimants should do some community service
Original post by a729
Still i think benefit claimants should do some community service

I might agree to that. Though I think it would only be acceptable within the public sector. The private sector should not be getting free labor.

It would be far more acceptable for example, if claimants were forced into large community based projects (such as landscaping, gardening, or even things like archaeological digs and the like), it would benefit the community greatly while giving them skills which are actually useful.

The main problem with handing them out to private businesses, is that it encourages them to give positions which would normally be paid to claimants (for free)
Reply 13
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I might agree to that. Though I think it would only be acceptable within the public sector. The private sector should not be getting free labor.

It would be far more acceptable for example, if claimants were forced into large community based projects (such as landscaping, gardening, or even things like archaeological digs and the like), it would benefit the community greatly while giving them skills which are actually useful.

The main problem with handing them out to private businesses, is that it encourages them to give positions which would normally be paid to claimants (for free)

I agree with that

People should have to do something to get benefits- giving back to their local community... that's wise
Reply 14
Liam Byrne got roundly heckled for this at yesterday's bedroom tax demo in brum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Heaven forbid people do a bit of work in order to retain their benefits...

:rolleyes:
Reply 16
'Slave work' hahaha what a joke :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by uktotalgamer

Isn't that called "a job"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Farm_Ecology

So you think putting other people out of work by getting unemployed people to do their jobs is going to help unemployment?

Run that by me again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uktotalgamer

I'm not ruling out work, there are thousands of jobs that need doing in the community, etc - I'm talking about importing free labour into for-profit businesses at a cost to the taxpayer and for a zero transfer of real skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending