The Student Room Group

Lottery winner carries on claiming welfare.

Need I say any more. :rolleyes:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9934289/Lottery-winner-continued-to-claim-thousands-of-pounds-in-benefits.html

This kind of disgraceful behavior should not be tolerated. His winnings should be used to repay welfare that he has collected over the years, and a prison sentence should also be passed.

Yet again, the welfare state has failed someone. Yet again we see another reason to start getting tough on welfare. Yet again we see evidence of people taking advantage of tax payers money.

When will people wake up to this kind of repetitive scandalous abuse of our system.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dj1015

When will people wake up to this kind of repetitive scandalous abuse of our system.

People are well aware that benefit fraud occurs. Why do you think it frequently dominates the tabloid media? The public frequently can be heard gossiping about it, often vilifying all of those who claim benefits as a result of a small minority who do abuse the system?

We have a BBC1 programme that is devoted to benefit fraud (alongside those who do genuinely need the system, but needed assistance in getting the help).

The amount of money lost in welfare fraud likely pales into insignificance when compared to the amount of money people are missing out on in lost benefit, and both these figures are substantially smaller than the money lost through tax avoidance and evasion.

Welfare fraud is not right and needs to be clamped down on and, broadly speaking, it is. But there are bigger problems out there.
A fool and his money...........
Reply 3
"Michael Duthie won £250,000 in March 2010, but continued to claim almost £14,000 in Jobseeker's Allowance, housing and council tax benefits to which he was no longer entitled."

When I read your post, it seemed to imply that he was still entitled to it, but upon reading the article, it's clear that he wasn't.

And now he's in court because of it. I don't see why you're complaining?
Reply 4
Original post by Ras17
"Michael Duthie won £250,000 in March 2010, but continued to claim almost £14,000 in Jobseeker's Allowance, housing and council tax benefits to which he was no longer entitled."

When I read your post, it seemed to imply that he was still entitled to it, but upon reading the article, it's clear that he wasn't.

And now he's in court because of it. I don't see why you're complaining?

that it happned..... did you read that part?
Reply 5
*******s got it coming to him anyway
Original post by dj1015
Need I say any more. :rolleyes:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9934289/Lottery-winner-continued-to-claim-thousands-of-pounds-in-benefits.html

This kind of disgraceful behavior should not be tolerated. His winnings should be used to repay welfare that he has collected over the years, and a prison sentence should also be passed.

Yet again, the welfare state has failed someone. Yet again we see another reason to start getting tough on welfare. Yet again we see evidence of people taking advantage of tax payers money.

I dont really understand the last sentance. What do you mean 'wake up', what are we supposed to do about it?
Reply 7
Original post by dj1015
that it happned..... did you read that part?

And you think this is the only area of law where people have slipped (or almost) slipped through the net?

News flash, it probably happens in every area of law, but you (like most people) have chosen to highlight welfare because thanks to the media, it's the new cool thing to hate.

They get a new topic to light the fire under now and again to keep things fresh. Who knows what will be next.
So ****ing greedy
Original post by Ice Constricter
So ****ing greedy

He's actually just very stupid, isn't he? Apparently the £250K "all went on the bookies".

In an odd way, you have to feel sorry for many lottery winners, they have zero ability to deal with large wins. Not that I would say no.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He's actually just very stupid, isn't he? Apparently the £250K "all went on the bookies".

In an odd way, you have to feel sorry for many lottery winners, they have zero ability to deal with large wins. Not that I would say no.

I admit, I didn't read the article, so I assumed he won millions like most lottery winners we see on tv. But if he spent all his money on gambling then he's a compete utter idiot.
Should be jailed, but no that would simply make too much sense.

Tosser.
I admit, I didn't read the article, so I assumed he won millions like most lottery winners we see on tv. But if he spent all his money on gambling then he's a compete utter idiot.

It's quite funny that he apparently assumed that he could continue on JSA as he had gambled it away - "I gambled away the quarter of a million and I'm broke again" presumably doesn't come up often at the Job Centre when asked "reason for signing on".
It's quite funny that he apparently assumed that he could continue on JSA as he had gambled it away - "I gambled away the quarter of a million and I'm broke again" presumably doesn't come up often at the Job Centre when asked "reason for signing on".

:laugh: imagine if he got away with that?
:laugh: imagine if he got away with that?

I'm sure he would have got Working Tax Credit no problem.
Reply 15
Original post by dj1015
that it happned.....

Yes, it happened, but he was found out and charged. So people have "woken up" and acted accordingly. As mentioned, it is well known that benefit fraud occurs.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Fraud in a wide variety of forms will always happen. There will always be greedy people.

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Should be jailed, but no that would simply make too much sense.

Tosser.

How do you feel about MPs expenses? I see little difference, even if many of those MPs didn't commit "fraud" as such (ie. do anything illegal), they just took advantage of an unclear and pretty unregulated system.
Original post by River85
Yes, it happened, but he was found out and charged. So people have "woken up" and acted accordingly. As mentioned, it is well known that benefit fraud occurs.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Fraud in a wide variety of forms will always happen. There will always be greedy people.

How do you feel about MPs expenses? I see little difference, even if many of those MPs didn't commit "fraud" as such (ie. do anything illegal), they just took advantage of an unclear and pretty unregulated system.

Pretty much the same way.

The expenses system needs an overhaul, and MP's should be held a lot more accountable for their expenditures. If caught breaking the rules, there should be a warning, and the second offense should result in a jail term, depending on the severity of the offense.
Reply 17

No, he told the Jobcentre that he had gambled it all away. However, he had actually invested it (possibly poorly) and, as the interest wasn't make enough money, was actually living "hand to mouth".
Reply 18
Hmmmm. So what has the DWP said to the lottery winner regarding this, because if I had even £100 left over from my last wages (I had just lost my job) the DWP would write to me ASAP with the view to putting JSA on hold untill said monies are exhausted. So I wonder how the lottery winner is able to keep claiming welfare?
Reply 19
That's isn't quite true, the cash limit is higher and it tapers off plus if you've been working for about 2 years prior to claiming benefits you should get about half a year of them regardless. As for benefit cheats, the state cheats the public out of theirs far more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending