The Student Room Group

Placement year maintenance loan

Please help me, I need clarification regarding my placement year application for sfe maintenance loan funding. I have been told 3 different things regarding my entitlement. Two of which were reduced maintenance loans, both different figures, and yesterday I was told that I was entitled to the full funding as I am classed as an independent student who has lost both parents.
I am 20 years old at the end of my second year about to go on placement near the end of June
Original post by Limit2331
Please help me, I need clarification regarding my placement year application for sfe maintenance loan funding. I have been told 3 different things regarding my entitlement. Two of which were reduced maintenance loans, both different figures, and yesterday I was told that I was entitled to the full funding as I am classed as an independent student who has lost both parents.
I am 20 years old at the end of my second year about to go on placement near the end of June

Hi there,

Your funding would depend on the type of placement year you are going into. Is the placement year abroad or in the UK? How many weeks is the placement and is it paid or unpaid? And what type of place and where will it be?

Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Your funding would depend on the type of placement year you are going into. Is the placement year abroad or in the UK? How many weeks is the placement and is it paid or unpaid? And what type of place and where will it be?

Thanks, Jason

Unpaid placement in the UK (Bournemouth) as a sport science intern at AFC Bournemouth. It is a full year placement
Unpaid placement in the UK (Bournemouth) as a sport science intern at AFC Bournemouth. It is a full year placement

Thank you.

Based on what you've advised it would be the reduced rate maintenance loan. You would need to be at one of the following type of institutes to qualify for the maximum

1) A hospital, Public Health Service Laboratory or with Clinical Commissioning group (see here for Medicine/Dentistry Students)
2) A Special Health Authority, the National Health Service Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, Local Health Board, Health Board, Special Health Board or Health and Social Services Board
3) A Local Authority carrying out its duties relating to health, welfare or caring for children and young people, a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out similar activities; A Local Authority acting in the exercise of public health functions
4) The prison or probation sector or after-care services;
5) Unpaid research in a UK or overseas institution
6) An unpaid placement in the Houses of Parliament

If you also ensure you apply as soon as possible as applications take 6-8 weeks to process. The assessors will review your application based on the information you put down so your funding will be assessed correctly once its processed.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Thank you.

Based on what you've advised it would be the reduced rate maintenance loan. You would need to be at one of the following type of institutes to qualify for the maximum

1) A hospital, Public Health Service Laboratory or with Clinical Commissioning group (see here for Medicine/Dentistry Students)
2) A Special Health Authority, the National Health Service Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, Local Health Board, Health Board, Special Health Board or Health and Social Services Board
3) A Local Authority carrying out its duties relating to health, welfare or caring for children and young people, a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out similar activities; A Local Authority acting in the exercise of public health functions
4) The prison or probation sector or after-care services;
5) Unpaid research in a UK or overseas institution
6) An unpaid placement in the Houses of Parliament

If you also ensure you apply as soon as possible as applications take 6-8 weeks to process. The assessors will review your application based on the information you put down so your funding will be assessed correctly once its processed.

Thanks, Jason

So being an independent student does not get taken into consideration, even though they said that status would be for the duration of my studies ?
So being an independent student does not get taken into consideration, even though they said that status would be for the duration of my studies ?

Not for placement years. But it will be taken when you go into your final year.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending