The Student Room Group

Fp2 chapter 3 Loci of complex numbers question

Hi, I'm having some problems with the questions in fp2, an example of one would be:
sketch the locus of z when:arg (z-3i) - arg(z-5) = pi/4
in the example in the book, it says to do:

let arg (z-3i) = theta (i cant find the symbol)
arg (z-5) = alpha

theta - alpha = pi/4

then draw both individually on an argand diagram, and the loci is the circle round the points where they intersect.

In mostly okay with that I think, but what I don't understand is sometimes the line they draw for arg (z- whatever) has a positive gradient, and sometimes it has a negative gradient - i.e. sometimes they take theta to be obtuse and sometimes they take it to be accute, and the same for alpha.
How do you know whether theta/alpha is accute or obtuse, or when to use negative theta/alpha on your diagram?

Sorry I know I havent explained it very well but can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by Emma09
Hi, I'm having some problems with the questions in fp2, an example of one would be:
sketch the locus of z when:arg (z-3i) - arg(z-5) = pi/4
in the example in the book, it says to do:

let arg (z-3i) = theta (i cant find the symbol)
arg (z-5) = alpha

theta - alpha = pi/4

then draw both individually on an argand diagram, and the loci is the circle round the points where they intersect.

In mostly okay with that I think, but what I don't understand is sometimes the line they draw for arg (z- whatever) has a positive gradient, and sometimes it has a negative gradient - i.e. sometimes they take theta to be obtuse and sometimes they take it to be accute, and the same for alpha.
How do you know whether theta/alpha is accute or obtuse, or when to use negative theta/alpha on your diagram?

Sorry I know I havent explained it very well but can anyone help?

What the book is basically saying is:

let arg(z3i)=θ arg(z - 3i) = \theta and arg(z5)=ϕ arg(z - 5) = \phi

now if you try to draw it such that θϕ=π4 \theta - \phi = \frac{\pi}{4} you will see it wont be possible, as ϕ>θ \phi > \theta (so the angle made by the two half lines will never be pi/4) hence let arg(z3i)=θ arg(z - 3i) = -\theta and arg(z5)=ϕ arg(z - 5) = -\phi (then θ(ϕ)=π4 -\theta - (-\phi) = \frac{\pi}{4} which works as ϕ>θ \phi > \theta ) then you will see that it works, just draw it so that the angle made by the half lines is pi/4 and you will see how it works
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest