The Student Room Group

To self-taught A*/A A-lvl student and skip Y13, uni at 16 despite suspected ASD/ADHD

Aim: A* in math, A in physics and psychology. If I can get similar grades compared to what I would've gotten had I not skipped a year (A*/A or all A* level) then I can at least say there are advantages to my path compared to what the establishment wanted from me (saving a year, and doing what I want). The confidence in forging my own path would help me in life.

Today: Electric Currents (at least) in physics.

I'm somewhat behind compared to what I need to be, hopefully I can catch up in time, but exams are coming pretty soon.
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck with your revision!
Original post by scar-the-queen
Good luck with your revision!

Thanks Scarlett!

It's been a long while. I just need to keep it up for the next two months.

It's tough, but I need to force myself to a schedule to prevent myself from falling even further off track. I also got things I need to prove to people as well. Besides it's just two more months of work.

While recovering from burnout I better keep the schedule anyway. If it gets close to an exam then I'll use the motivation to push even further.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yesterday: M1 past paper, part of P3 past paper, electricity studying (grrr still haven't finished it), another paper.
Duration: 3 hours or so

I haven't really been making as much progress as expected in academics, but I am keeping up my hobbies and even expanding them. And fixing my scheduling issues (increasing executive function)

Today: finish electrical quantities (please actually finish it), more physics enrichment.
I still haven't finished electrical quantitites, decided instead to finish more physics enrichment than before (really dove into a wormhole). Duration: >3 hours (a bit more?)

I am finally emerging from burnout and would pour a few hours every day in studying. I can't give up... it's less than two months before the end of exams. If I give up now... what I would've worked for would've been for much less than expected. I also got scores to settle.

@scar-the-queen
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by justlearning1469
I still haven't finished electrical quantitites, decided instead to finish more physics enrichment than before (really dove into a wormhole). Duration: >3 hours, perhaps even 4 hours or so if I finish things off

I am finally emerging from burnout and would pour a few hours every day in studying. I can't give up... it's less than two months before the end of exams. If I give up now... what I would've worked for would've been for much less than expected. I also got scores to settle.

@scar-the-queen

Glad you're recovering from burnout!
Original post by scar-the-queen
Glad you're recovering from burnout!

My motivation is back and I'm pushing forwards pretty hard...

I just need to keep >3 hours a day for two months, that's it. I had interests that lasted longer...
Today (as of now):
Math: 2 past papers + mostly finished another one. Somehow I had the motivation to push through. Having actual structured study sessions and exam conditions can really boost up your revision speed.
Physics: Conduction, resistance

Time: 3 hrs 1 min

Just need to finish Electrical Quantities by today...
Progress slowed down, a bit more than hour revision for yesterday. At least I finished Electrical Quantities, moved on to physics enrichment (will finish tomorrow), worked on hobbies (and maintained them), and slightly fixed the sleep schedule.

Sometimes it's tough to move forwards, but how do I force myself to move forwards? It's only ~1 1/2 months until the end, I need to get my act together for hell sakes.

I must get it through at whatever cost. There isn't any other way out. By my drastic maneuver to go against a lot of advice (from an expensive school), it's a showdown to see if the budget plan (my plan) can hold enough water...

The next 1 1/2 months will be very interesting. I'd hopefully be able to push as hard as possible for at least 1 month out of that...

@scar-the-queen

P.S. who else wants to be tagged?
(edited 1 year ago)
I've finished the physics enrichment (later than expected). Used about 75 mins or so that day. Now I just need to push forwards extremely hard, and finish Physics 2, start Physics 4.

3 hours at least for today!
3.5 hours today, which is the best I've done in a while. I'm still behind but at least I managed to finish 2 past papers for maths, and maths should basically be secured A* as long as I keep the foundation strong.

Sleep schedule is still ruined and relapsed but I need to fix it. I don't know why delaying these impulses of procrastination, shaking everything around is so difficult for me. I guess I can get that checked out...

Today: finish what I didn't finish before, Further Mechanics for physics.
This is the final sprint! justlearning, don't give up! Force yourself to push forward if necessary!
(edited 1 year ago)
Finished Physics 2 (a bit behind schedule but whatever). Further mechanics is going well, for physics, I better finish it today.

I'd probably finish nuclear + particle physics in a few days.

Tag list: @BurstingBubbles @iL1L @Faith&hardwork @KA_P
Let me know if you don't want to be tagged here, or if you want to be tagged somewhere else

Edit: one off the list.
(edited 1 year ago)
Finished Physics 2 (a bit behind schedule but whatever). Further mechanics is going well, for physics, I better finish it today.

I'd probably finish nuclear + particle physics in a few days.

Tag list: @The_Lonely_Goatherd @BurstingBubbles @iL1L @Faith&hardwork @KA_P
Let me know if you don't want to be tagged here, or if you want to be tagged somewhere else

You've got this! :jumphug:
Original post by KA_P
You've got this! :jumphug:

Thanks

May you give me even more motivation for my A-level study?
Thanks

May you give me even more motivation for my A-level study?

Positive visualisation should help! Before you sleep and when you get up in the morning, get yourself out of the mindset that you might failure. Believe in yourself and your abilities that you will definitely ace these exams. Visualise yourself feeling confident and feeling very positive when sitting in the exam room regularly - it helps you feel more motivated and ready mentally.

When you're doing practice papers and marking your answers, it might be useful to have a little journal of questions or topics that you regularly lose marks on and review them in to a bit more detail and make note of them into that journal so you're less likely to get them wrong again and you can review it regularly

Sending you lots and lots of energy and good luck 🤗✨✨✨✨✨
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KA_P
Positive visualisation should help! Before you sleep and when you get up in the morning, get yourself out of the mindset that you might failure. Believe in yourself and your abilities that you will definitely ace these exams. Visualise yourself feeling confident and feeling very positive when sitting in the exam room regularly - it helps you feel more motivated and ready mentally.

When you're doing practice papers and marking your answers, it might be useful to have a little journal of questions or topics that you regularly lose marks on and review them in to a bit more detail and make note of them into that journal so you're less likely to get them wrong again and you can review it regularly

Sending you lots and lots of energy and good luck 🤗✨✨✨✨✨

Thanks for the mentality boost! And I haven't tried the journal of questions/topics before, maybe I was too disorganised to do it, but I'll try my luck at that
Thanks for the mentality boost! And I haven't tried the journal of questions/topics before, maybe I was too disorganised to do it, but I'll try my luck at that

Let me know how you find it :smile:) even just going through the specification and marking areas you struggle with and adding post it notes should help
Original post by KA_P
Let me know how you find it :smile:) even just going through the specification and marking areas you struggle with and adding post it notes should help

I see. Haven't tried it before.

My only regret is that I saw these study techniques way too late, and found resources for exams way too late.

But hopefully this time I can actually use these study techniques and improve my executive function enough for university.
I see. Haven't tried it before.

My only regret is that I saw these study techniques way too late, and found resources for exams way too late.

But hopefully this time I can actually use these study techniques and improve my executive function enough for university.

I personally think for these specific study techniques, it's never really too late too start since you'll be able to actively recall from reviewing it a couple of times and testing yourself
Original post by KA_P
I personally think for these specific study techniques, it's never really too late too start since you'll be able to actively recall from reviewing it a couple of times and testing yourself

In that case I will use those study techniques from now. Just need to put a few hours into this every day (harder than you think).

If I can't handle a few hours a day... in university you'd often need 10 hours of lectures every week, 30 something hours independent study (so at least 4.3 hours independent study a day).

If my executive function, self-discipline and impulse control is simply too weak to handle that... I may risk falling even further behind my potential...
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending