The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford for a masters?

I'm surrently studying for a Bachelor's in Chemistry at a good Russell Group university. If I get a high first in my degree, how hard should it be to get into Oxford for a masters? What sort of marks are they looking for?

Does anyone have personal experience of this?

I cant actually find any information on transferring on to the Oxford Chemistry Master's programme online, only onto a Theoretical Chemistry Master's programme which is a bit specific. Does anyone have any information on the application process and what is required of candidates?

Advice on entry to Cambridge, University College London and Imperial College London Chemistry Master's Programmes would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
X

Edit: Sorry I know I should have put 'master's' in the title - so don't come at me grammar nazis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SummitOfReason
I'm surrently studying for a Bachelor's in Chemistry at a good Russell Group university. If I get a high first in my degree, how hard should it be to get into Oxford for a masters? What sort of marks are they looking for?

I cant actually find any information on transferring on to the Oxford Chemistry Master's programme online, only onto a Theoretical Chemistry Master's programme which is a bit specific. Does anyone have any information on the application process and what is required of candidates?

Advice on entry to Cambridge, University College London and Imperial College London Chemistry Master's Programmes would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
X

Edit: Sorry I know I should have put 'master's' in the title - so don't come at me grammar nazis.

Just cos no-one's replied - you've probably found all these.
Oxford:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/courses_az.html
Cambridge:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/studying/qualifdir/courses/pcch/
Imperial: Lotsa chem options :smile:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/whatcanyoustudy
UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate-study/prospectus/subjects/chemistry

Thank you, that was really nice of you to help. Thing is, I know it sounds a bit stupid but because I'm on a Bachelor's where I am, I wonder if people can sort of join 4th year Master's Chemists at these universities. Or whether the only option would be to progress onto a postgraduate Master's at a new university.
I also wonder if having a Master's from my own university would put me in better sted for applying for one of these Postgraduate Master's. Or is that just silly, because then I'd have two Mscis and might as well just apply for a phD lol.

And yeah Imperial have loads of REALLY cool looking options

Wonder whether Chemistry would come under Chemical Biology's requirement of a physical sciences degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, that was really nice of you to help. Thing is, I know it sounds a bit stupid but because I'm on a Bachelor's where I am, I wonder if people can sort of join 4th year Master's Chemists at these universities. Or whether the only option would be to progress onto a postgraduate Master's at a new university.
I also wonder if having a Master's from my own university would put me in better sted for applying for one of these Postgraduate Master's. Or is that just silly, because then I'd have two Mscis and might as well just apply for a phD lol.

No problem :smile:
Nothing wrong with a Ph.D :tongue:
and do whatever you want to do :biggrin:
Reply 4

Thanks a lot.
X

From what I hear, UCL is more reputed for its post-grad programmes than Oxbridge, which is more known for undergrad. The same undergrad university rankings certainly don't apply to post-grad, though, and the teaching/general student experience won't be the same as at undergrad, so don't go just on the undergrad reputation.
(edited 11 years ago)

Thanks a lot.
X

I wasn't aware you could join just for the 4th year. Never heard of it happening (I'm in the 3rd year btw)
Its different from your typical masters 4th year.... the 4th year is all one research project, no further learning, so more content is covered in the 1st 3 years than at other uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest