The Student Room Group

Is a Oxbridge Mst valuable for someone with non-Oxbridge undergraduate degree?

Hello!

I applied to study at Oxford for a Mst (1550-1700 English Literature) and I will be graduating this year from a university that is not high-ranked (although the teaching has not reflected that).

I just was wondering if an Oxbridge Mst will hold value for future employers, whether academic ones like lecturing jobs or other general employers. Will it positively overshadow my undergraduate institute or does a Mst have any negative connotations?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
Reply 1
For HE lecturing you'll need a PhD, a ton of teaching experience, and really some publications. So an MSt, though excellent, is not going to help you directly in that regard. There are no negative connotations.
Reply 2
One of the first people I worked for had a degree from Cambridge and a masters from Oxford. He was a great bar manager! All Oxford and Cambridge are going to do is get you into an interview. But it ultimately comes down to whether you have the knowledge and skills that will get you the job and ironically, employability from both is lower than many other universities. Ask yourself what you are trying to achieve and find out what is required to achieve that. If an Oxbridge masters is part of that then go for it. Otherwise why bother?
Original post by j78899
Hello!

I applied to study at Oxford for a Mst (1550-1700 English Literature) and I will be graduating this year from a university that is not high-ranked (although the teaching has not reflected that).

I just was wondering if an Oxbridge Mst will hold value for future employers, whether academic ones like lecturing jobs or other general employers. Will it positively overshadow my undergraduate institute or does a Mst have any negative connotations?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Be aware that an Oxford MSt and a Cambridge MSt are very different degrees and different formats, as are their MPhils. So an Oxbridge MSt isn't really a single thing.

However, the value of any degree, from any institution depends on how the specific sector and the specific organisation values education. Clearly it's fundamental to a job in education, and a PhD would be necessary beyond a Masters, for university teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending