The Student Room Group

Masters is learning and teaching at oxford

Just been offered a place on this course for 2024/25. It is online and part time; being a teacher is a requirement of the course. Is it worth the time/money it's going to drain from me? I'm excited that it's Oxford, but does anyone know if the is the course any good?
Original post by reading pioneer
Just been offered a place on this course for 2024/25. It is online and part time; being a teacher is a requirement of the course. Is it worth the time/money it's going to drain from me? I'm excited that it's Oxford, but does anyone know if the is the course any good?

What is your definition of 'worth it'? What do you want to get out of the course? I mean, frankly, it could be a pile of poop, but if you can endure and pass it, then having an oxford degree on your CV might be all the boost your career needs.

However, if you are using it as an active tool to move into a specific area - I don't know, but the pedagogy of language teaching at Primary school - then you need to look at the modules, the reputation/writings of the lecturers, and where alumni have gone on to work.

Online and part time are also considerations. If that's what it has to be for you because - life, then you have fewer choices, but you have to consider the downside. Online still has the feel of lower quality and less rigorous than face-to-face, part-time is not a quality difference, but it is a substantial commitment of time over years.
Reply 2

I'm really confused. I am a teacher and am applying to do a masters next year - part time, not online. The reason - because I want to use the learning in the masters to enhance my ability to teach but also open doors amongst the wider backdrop of teaching.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would apply for a masters in education who is not already a teacher. For what purpose? Also, you might be getting a fancy certificate with the word Oxford printed on it, but is the fact that it is online going to deliver the kind of learning Oxford would otherwise offer in person? The thing that makes an Oxford graduate special is the fact they benefitted from Oxford's unique way of teaching, not the fact they wear the Oxford tie or have a certificate with "Oxford" printed on the top.

If you are applying to this because you feel it is an easy way to put the word Masters on your CV, then forget it. Who wants to employ someone willing to go to such lengths to take the easy route?
Original post by hotpud
I'm really confused. I am a teacher and am applying to do a masters next year - part time, not online. The reason - because I want to use the learning in the masters to enhance my ability to teach but also open doors amongst the wider backdrop of teaching.
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would apply for a masters in education who is not already a teacher. For what purpose? Also, you might be getting a fancy certificate with the word Oxford printed on it, but is the fact that it is online going to deliver the kind of learning Oxford would otherwise offer in person? The thing that makes an Oxford graduate special is the fact they benefitted from Oxford's unique way of teaching, not the fact they wear the Oxford tie or have a certificate with "Oxford" printed on the top.
If you are applying to this because you feel it is an easy way to put the word Masters on your CV, then forget it. Who wants to employ someone willing to go to such lengths to take the easy route?

I’m a teacher with 6 year’s experience . It’s a requirement of the course. There are some in person sessions, but it is mainly about researching methods in your own classroom and writing up your findings. Obviously I would not do a Masters in Learning and Teaching if I wasn’t a teacher!
Reply 4
I’m a teacher with 6 year’s experience . It’s a requirement of the course. There are some in person sessions, but it is mainly about researching methods in your own classroom and writing up your findings. Obviously I would not do a Masters in Learning and Teaching if I wasn’t a teacher!

Ah - gotcha - well go for it in that case although I do wonder if the online version would give you the best outcomes. Sometimes you need that face-to-face one-to-one discussion to get the best out of yourself. Does Oxford count for that much in teaching? I am not so sure. I am doing mine at MMU, the course of which is hands down better than that offered by the rather stuffy and self-righteous Manchester University.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending