The Student Room Group

Full coverage foundation recommendations - Pale, Dry & Spotty skin.

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help :smile:

I desperately need a new foundation, but I don't really know what to look out for (you'll soon find out i'm a bit of a novice:tongue:).

The problem is that I am quite pale. I recently picked up "L'oreal true match foundation" in N1 Ivory, which I bought mainly because it was a perfect match for my skin colour. However, when I applied it the next day, I realised I'd made a mistake in that I hadn't read any reviews, and this was absolutely terrible on my dry skin.
The main area for dry skin is on my forehead, but I also suffer it on my nose and some small patches on my cheeks. I apply a prescription moisturiser every morning before applying make-up, and every evening before bed.
I bought an MUA primer at the same time of purchasing this foundation but it still highlights my dry areas.

The reason why I would prefer a full coverage is because my skin tone is quite uneven with scaring, and I also often have big spot/acne breakouts on my cheeks. I currently use Collection 2000's concealer which is working brilliantly, but I'd like to have a bit more coverage from a foundation.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has the same problems as me, and could recommend a good foundation. I don't mind spending a bit more money on high end foundations if they work well/ are a good match for my skin type.

So I feel like i've wrote a bit of a life story there haha.
Moral of the story:

Recommendations?
Where's the best place to purchase/get colour matched?
Which brands give free samples/is it worth trying samples first?
oh and how is best to apply foundations? (i've always used my fingers)

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by RrrBate95
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help :smile:

I desperately need a new foundation, but I don't really know what to look out for (you'll soon find out i'm a bit of a novice:tongue:).

The problem is that I am quite pale. I recently picked up "L'oreal true match foundation" in N1 Ivory, which I bought mainly because it was a perfect match for my skin colour. However, when I applied it the next day, I realised I'd made a mistake in that I hadn't read any reviews, and this was absolutely terrible on my dry skin.
The main area for dry skin is on my forehead, but I also suffer it on my nose and some small patches on my cheeks. I apply a prescription moisturiser every morning before applying make-up, and every evening before bed.
I bought an MUA primer at the same time of purchasing this foundation but it still highlights my dry areas.

The reason why I would prefer a full coverage is because my skin tone is quite uneven with scaring, and I also often have big spot/acne breakouts on my cheeks. I currently use Collection 2000's concealer which is working brilliantly, but I'd like to have a bit more coverage from a foundation.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has the same problems as me, and could recommend a good foundation. I don't mind spending a bit more money on high end foundations if they work well/ are a good match for my skin type.

So I feel like i've wrote a bit of a life story there haha.
Moral of the story:

Recommendations?
Where's the best place to purchase/get colour matched?
Which brands give free samples/is it worth trying samples first?
oh and how is best to apply foundations? (i've always used my fingers)

Thank you!! :biggrin:

You should definitely be using a *clean* soft foundation brush. Using your fingers just pushes whatever dirt is on your fingers into your pores. Once you start doing this, you will notice an improvement.

I have the same sort of issues as you, the best foundation I've found for coverage without a drying effect is Boots No7 Beautifully Matte. They do a shade test, but the one they matched me with was much too dark, so just pick out a light one.

I also use Mac Studio Sculpt on areas which need slightly less coverage, in NW15. It's the lightest one they do but still a bit dark, I'd recommend getting a sample of it though because you might be able to get away with it, especially in the summer.

I finish off with Max Factor Creme Puff powder dusted lightly on my T-Zone and find that it really blends together the different foundations.

Are you doing much of a skincare routine?
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
You should definitely be using a *clean* soft foundation brush. Using your fingers just pushes whatever dirt is on your fingers into your pores. Once you start doing this, you will notice an improvement.

I have the same sort of issues as you, the best foundation I've found for coverage without a drying effect is Boots No7 Beautifully Matte. They do a shade test, but the one they matched me with was much too dark, so just pick out a light one.

I also use Mac Studio Sculpt on areas which need slightly less coverage, in NW15. It's the lightest one they do but still a bit dark, I'd recommend getting a sample of it though because you might be able to get away with it, especially in the summer.

I finish off with Max Factor Creme Puff powder dusted lightly on my T-Zone and find that it really blends together the different foundations.

Are you doing much of a skincare routine?

I've been looking at buying a brush, I used to use a foundation brush but didnt like how it applied. That was a while ago though, but I've also seen these "buffing" or "stippling" brushes which has slightly confused me :P

My friend has been matched at boots for the No.7 foundation but seemed to think they dont do a good job as they matched her too light? I shall go and see if I can get samples for those though, thank you!
Out of interest, where is the best place prices wise for Mac? Or is it generally consistent?

To be honest, it's only been the last couple of months I've actually started using a cleanser to take my make up off properly, and my skin seems to have got worse! But that might also be due to a-level stresses :frown: other than a cleanser and moisturiser, no I dont have much of a routine. I am looking into starting a routine but again I need some guidance. (unbelievably hopeless, I know I know)
I've been looking at buying a brush, I used to use a foundation brush but didnt like how it applied. That was a while ago though, but I've also seen these "buffing" or "stippling" brushes which has slightly confused me :P

My friend has been matched at boots for the No.7 foundation but seemed to think they dont do a good job as they matched her too light? I shall go and see if I can get samples for those though, thank you!
Out of interest, where is the best place prices wise for Mac? Or is it generally consistent?

To be honest, it's only been the last couple of months I've actually started using a cleanser to take my make up off properly, and my skin seems to have got worse! But that might also be due to a-level stresses :frown: other than a cleanser and moisturiser, no I dont have much of a routine. I am looking into starting a routine but again I need some guidance. (unbelievably hopeless, I know I know)

I don't have much trust in those No7 matching services to be honest, they were miles off with my skin. There is a lot of fake Mac around, but I generally get mine from Ebay from sellers who aren't selling loads of it or have really good feedback. The Studio Sculpt is about £25 at the Mac counter, but mine was £10 on Ebay, which is much more reasonable.

Skin unfortunately tends to get worse when you just start looking after it properly. I have a friend who works for Clinique, and she says you should use makeup wipes to remove makeup, then a cleanser, and a pore minimising moisturiser. You can add in extras like a toner or mattifying cream if you want. They recommend exfoliating gently once or twice a week, and a face mask once a month.
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte49
I don't have much trust in those No7 matching services to be honest, they were miles off with my skin. There is a lot of fake Mac around, but I generally get mine from Ebay from sellers who aren't selling loads of it or have really good feedback. The Studio Sculpt is about £25 at the Mac counter, but mine was £10 on Ebay, which is much more reasonable.

Skin unfortunately tends to get worse when you just start looking after it properly. I have a friend who works for Clinique, and she says you should use makeup wipes to remove makeup, then a cleanser, and a pore minimising moisturiser. You can add in extras like a toner or mattifying cream if you want. They recommend exfoliating gently once or twice a week, and a face mask once a month.

ah gotta love eBay, I shall bare that in mind and have a look on there if i commit to something new :smile:
thank you loads to you and your friend also :biggrin:
Reply 5
I did a blog post about the differences between the real techniques buffing and stippling brushes if you are interested!
http://themakeupdirectory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/real-techniques-stippling-vs-buffing.html

As for foundation, I'm pale and the laura mercier one I use is a great match and doesn't look too orange or anything, just blends well into my pale skin.
It's the laura mercier silk creme foundation, I love it!

Do you use a primer?
Reply 6
MAC have the best foundation, honestly try their products. Amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MAC, MAC and more MAC :smile:

They'll colour test you, give you advice, samples and sort you out - it's a little pricier, granted, but I'm a complete advocate of their products, having previously struggled like you. Then again, you don't have to buy anything from them, just steal their tips and be on your way :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by metric
I did a blog post about the differences between the real techniques buffing and stippling brushes if you are interested!
http://themakeupdirectory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/real-techniques-stippling-vs-buffing.html

As for foundation, I'm pale and the laura mercier one I use is a great match and doesn't look too orange or anything, just blends well into my pale skin.
It's the laura mercier silk creme foundation, I love it!

Do you use a primer?

Original post by isatukamara
MAC have the best foundation, honestly try their products. Amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ironandwine
MAC, MAC and more MAC :smile:

They'll colour test you, give you advice, samples and sort you out - it's a little pricier, granted, but I'm a complete advocate of their products, having previously struggled like you. Then again, you don't have to buy anything from them, just steal their tips and be on your way :wink:

Sorry I haven't replied sooner to this thread! Completely forgot about it and didn't receive any emails! D:

Since my last post, I visited a Mac counter & a Nars counter after reading several reviews on the Mac Studio Sculpt foundation, and the Nars sheer glow.
I got matched at both, had it applied on the Nars counter and it lasted the rest of a (very stressful) shopping trip. On the same trip I got matched at MAC, and took home a sample to use. Which I applied several days and each day I found that it didn't last very long on my skin at all and within an hour or two it wouldn't seem like I had any make up on, even though I'd applied a primer and a powder (in the hope it might help with the lasting power). I have since purchased the Nars Sheer Glow foundation in Mont Blanc and I LOVE it! :smile:

I now apply using the real techniques buffing brush after purchasing the core collection kit.
I'm now seeking a good primer, if any of you have a recommendations? I currently use a very cheap MUA one.
Reply 9
Sorry I haven't replied sooner to this thread! Completely forgot about it and didn't receive any emails! D:

Since my last post, I visited a Mac counter & a Nars counter after reading several reviews on the Mac Studio Sculpt foundation, and the Nars sheer glow.
I got matched at both, had it applied on the Nars counter and it lasted the rest of a (very stressful) shopping trip. On the same trip I got matched at MAC, and took home a sample to use. Which I applied several days and each day I found that it didn't last very long on my skin at all and within an hour or two it wouldn't seem like I had any make up on, even though I'd applied a primer and a powder (in the hope it might help with the lasting power). I have since purchased the Nars Sheer Glow foundation in Mont Blanc and I LOVE it! :smile:

I now apply using the real techniques buffing brush after purchasing the core collection kit.
I'm now seeking a good primer, if any of you have a recommendations? I currently use a very cheap MUA one.

I've heard very good things about Laura Mercier and Urban Decay primers, but if you're looking for a high street one, the Rimmel Pro Plus (I think that's what it's called, my memory is terrible, but it's a white tube with a blue lid) has always worked for me :smile:
Reply 10
Mac and Bobbi Brown are good for full coverage but if you want something to help with your skin try Clinique.

It's always best to go try out things for yourself though. Get a few testers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think you shoulf use bonjoir. Its cheap, great coverage and has a scent to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I have ridiculously pale skin which is prone to breakouts - I'm also now using a topical solution from my doctor. The absolute best skin care and make up I have ever bought is from Clinique.

It's a bit pricey but honestly, it's worth every penny. They have a whole range of anti-blemish skin care, foundation and concealer which I use every day. The colour match is perfect and whenever I go there they always send me away with loads of free samples and they often have good offers on too! They also have a gel which is supposed to even your skin colour/tone - I've been trying this on scarring I've got on my cheeks and it's working wonders.

Good luck! :smile:
It sounds as though you are very similar to me with pale skin and dry patches in the same areas.
To stop my makeup from flaking (most of the time I won't flake at all throughout the day with this routine) I practice the following skin routine.
1. Cleanse face with "simple kind to skin moisturising facial wash" and "spotless skin triple action facial wash" (also from simple)
2. Apply a moisturising face mask from Superdrug (vitamin E moisture mask- vitamin E is the best thing for your skin) I leave this on for 10 minutes which is a bit time consuming but I do this every morning and night while I have breakfast or dinner
3. Apply "simple kind to skin hydrating light moisturiser" and/or I would apply your prescription moisturiser here too
4. I then like to use the "collection primed and ready" primer
5. Then I put on my foundation really lightly with a real techniques buffing brush or a damp beauty blender. The foundations I use are "maybelline superstay better skin flawless finish foundation" in 005 light beige (this is incredibly pale but there are even lighter colours!) or I recently picked up "revlon colourstay" foundation - make sure to get the one which says its for normal/dry skin and not combination/oily. I got this in the colour 110 ivory which I think may be the lightest or second lightest colour (of the ones available in Superdrug anyway)
I make sure I don't put my foundation on the dry patches directly but I apply to the edges of the dry patches (which mainly means I just put it between me eyebrows and in a dotted circle around the edges of my face from the tops of my cheekbones downwards) and buff into them.
6. I then use the collection lasting perfection concealer in the shade 1 Fair. I only put this on spots and under my eyes. If you try to improve coverage all over your face with this it will cake. I take the same buffing brush and pat over the spots with it, don't rub as it will thin the layer of concealer you have on and make the spots more visible.

Taking off your makeup is equally as important.
Try to avoid using wipes as they are harsh on your skin.
Instead, I do the following.
1. Take the simple "kind to skin purifying cleansing lotion" on two cotton pads and gently rub in circular motions all over the face.
Or I take the "simple kind to skin micellar cleansing water" on to cotton pads and you only have to gently wipe this all over your face! no rubbing or scrubbing! Micellar water is a great way to remove makeup for those of us with dry skin as it cleanses and moisturises in one.
2. I then use the same facial washes as in the morning (these are good as the triple action one has an exfoliator in which eliminates dry along) and the moisturising one leaves me feeling so smooth and soft.
3. I then use the simple moisturiser and a small amount of johnsons baby lotion to moisturise with in the evenings as it is affective and because it is made for babies it is very careful and suitable for sensitive skin.
4. While I have dinner I use the same moisture mask as before and pat off any residue with a tissue or leave it on all night and pat off any excess oil the next morning.

I hope this has helped, and I'm aware there are a lot of products but they are all drugstore, affordable and worth the money spent on them.

Other advice would be to avoid matte finish foundations and go for a satin or dewy finish.

Look into your products carefully before you buy them so you know what you're getting into when you purchase them.
I find simple products very affective as you can probably tell.
It sounds as though you are very similar to me with pale skin and dry patches in the same areas.
To stop my makeup from flaking (most of the time I won't flake at all throughout the day with this routine) I practice the following skin routine.
1. Cleanse face with "simple kind to skin moisturising facial wash" and "spotless skin triple action facial wash" (also from simple)
2. Apply a moisturising face mask from Superdrug (vitamin E moisture mask- vitamin E is the best thing for your skin) I leave this on for 10 minutes which is a bit time consuming but I do this every morning and night while I have breakfast or dinner
3. Apply "simple kind to skin hydrating light moisturiser" and/or I would apply your prescription moisturiser here too
4. I then like to use the "collection primed and ready" primer
5. Then I put on my foundation really lightly with a real techniques buffing brush or a damp beauty blender. The foundations I use are "maybelline superstay better skin flawless finish foundation" in 005 light beige (this is incredibly pale but there are even lighter colours!) or I recently picked up "revlon colourstay" foundation - make sure to get the one which says its for normal/dry skin and not combination/oily. I got this in the colour 110 ivory which I think may be the lightest or second lightest colour (of the ones available in Superdrug anyway)
I make sure I don't put my foundation on the dry patches directly but I apply to the edges of the dry patches (which mainly means I just put it between me eyebrows and in a dotted circle around the edges of my face from the tops of my cheekbones downwards) and buff into them.
6. I then use the collection lasting perfection concealer in the shade 1 Fair. I only put this on spots and under my eyes. If you try to improve coverage all over your face with this it will cake. I take the same buffing brush and pat over the spots with it, don't rub as it will thin the layer of concealer you have on and make the spots more visible.
7. Once I have finished my makeup I use collection 'fix me up' setting spray rather than a powder as your skin will much prefer a liquid that it can gain moisture from rather than a finishing powder that will only make your makeup and skin drier.

Taking off your makeup is equally as important.
Try to avoid using wipes as they are harsh on your skin.
Instead, I do the following.
1. Take the simple "kind to skin purifying cleansing lotion" on two cotton pads and gently rub in circular motions all over the face.
Or I take the "simple kind to skin micellar cleansing water" on to cotton pads and you only have to gently wipe this all over your face! no rubbing or scrubbing! Micellar water is a great way to remove makeup for those of us with dry skin as it cleanses and moisturises in one.
2. I then use the same facial washes as in the morning (these are good as the triple action one has an exfoliator in which eliminates dry along) and the moisturising one leaves me feeling so smooth and soft.
3. I then use the simple moisturiser and a small amount of johnsons baby lotion to moisturise with in the evenings as it is affective and because it is made for babies it is very careful and suitable for sensitive skin.
4. While I have dinner I use the same moisture mask as before and pat off any residue with a tissue or leave it on all night and pat off any excess oil the next morning.

I hope this has helped, and I'm aware there are a lot of products but they are all drugstore, affordable and worth the money spent on them.

Other advice would be to avoid matte finish foundations and go for a satin or dewy finish.

Look into your products carefully before you buy them so you know what you're getting into when you purchase them.
I find simple products very affective as you can probably tell.
It's always worth getting a sample from high end products. If you're in a drug store you should just test it on your skin by your jaw to check the match and you will get an idea of if its going to be moisturising or drying to your skin from this. Also if possible, always try to get a shade lighter than your skin tone but often the range in colours at drugstores are very limited, the reason for this is that darker shades are often heavier on the skin and you can always use a bronzer to add colour back. (Though get a cream bronzer rather than a powder for the reason I mentioned before)
If you're looking for a good primer, Smashbox is the best I've come across. It's a little pricey (about £25) but totally worth it plus they last forever. I have dry, red skin and I'm really pale too so it shows and it's the only primer I'd use now. I use the colour neutraliser which comes out looking a terrifying shade of green but applies clear and under concealer and foundation I look like I have flawless skin. If you don't have red skin, they also do a lovely moisturising one which protects skin from getting dried out by foundation. Definitely check them out.
Reply 16
Original post by mloco
I have ridiculously pale skin which is prone to breakouts - I'm also now using a topical solution from my doctor. The absolute best skin care and make up I have ever bought is from Clinique.

It's a bit pricey but honestly, it's worth every penny. They have a whole range of anti-blemish skin care, foundation and concealer which I use every day. The colour match is perfect and whenever I go there they always send me away with loads of free samples and they often have good offers on too! They also have a gel which is supposed to even your skin colour/tone - I've been trying this on scarring I've got on my cheeks and it's working wonders.

Good luck! :smile:

The same here, very sensitive skin, tried enormous number of different functions by variety of brands (some cheaper and quite few expensive ones) and so far they only foundation that hasn’t irritate my skin & does cover relatively well is even better by Clinique. Worth a shot. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest