The Student Room Group

How to buy makeup

I (M 16) want to buy makeup. However, I wouldn't know where to start and have no idea how to find out which shades match my skin tone. I'm too nervous to go to a shop and ask and have no family / friends that could help me. What can I do?
Reply 2
Don’t worry about going to a shop. They are bursting with make up enthusiasts, keen to demonstrate and sell their expensive wares. They’ll make you feel at home. There’s lots of YouTube videos too, one of my immaculate dressed and made up colleagues told me she learnt all her skills from these.

Thanks for the links. I want makeup to cover up impurities on my skin, as I have acne-prone, oily skin. I don't think that my skin or eyes are incredibly sensitive...

Are there specific 'male-only' makeups, or could I use any?
Original post by taylor2317
Thanks for the links. I want makeup to cover up impurities on my skin, as I have acne-prone, oily skin. I don't think that my skin or eyes are incredibly sensitive...

Are there specific 'male-only' makeups, or could I use any?

There are makeup brands that do target towards men or have men sections but i've seen many men using brands that mostly target women and their skin looks the same. I think you can use any, just do research abt the foundation or whatever you want to use and see if its compatible with ur skin type.
There are some websites online where you can show a picture and it can show you your shades for some brands - some websites are quite slow though but if you go into a shop, some shops put a little scanning machine on ur face which makes it more accurate for ur shade. Im sure any shop assistent will be more than happy to help and it doesnt last long- 2mins to 15 mins. That sounds like alot but once u know ur shade, you wont ever have to ask again(unless u gotten much more pale or much more tan)

Obviously if you do decide to put makeup on, make sure ur skincare is good and that you double cleanse each day so u dont break out more.

hope this helps x
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
There are makeup brands that do target towards men or have men sections but i've seen many men using brands that mostly target women and their skin looks the same. I think you can use any, just do research abt the foundation or whatever you want to use and see if its compatible with ur skin type.
There are some websites online where you can show a picture and it can show you your shades for some brands - some websites are quite slow though but if you go into a shop, some shops put a little scanning machine on ur face which makes it more accurate for ur shade. Im sure any shop assistent will be more than happy to help and it doesnt last long- 2mins to 15 mins. That sounds like alot but once u know ur shade, you wont ever have to ask again(unless u gotten much more pale or much more tan)

Obviously if you do decide to put makeup on, make sure ur skincare is good and that you double cleanse each day so u dont break out more.

hope this helps x

Thanks a lot, this really helps <3

Quick Reply

Latest