The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by AgentSushi
But lets say that China successfully took control of North Korea incorporating it into the rest of China. What would the international response be?

This is totally hypothetical before anyone says this will never happen, I know it won't.

They wouldn't, it'd be too much of a liability and a drain on the economy to correct the wrongs of the Kim regime. They'd more than likely just implement a puppet government that will actually give China some influence on the country for the first time in 60 years effectively allowing them to maintain a buffer zone to the US/SK. Another thing they'd want to avoid is mass emigration across the border into China.

What absolutely shouldn't happen this time, in response to all this crap, is yet another cave-in to Kim and his disgusting regime, by sending them food and oil. This will be harsh on the people, who will suffer, but there really must be no further support to keep these people in office.
Reply 283
South Korea seems pretty calm about the whole thing, which could be good or bad
Original post by Aj12

I was thinking that too, there must be a reason for this as in the past they have often made a massive thing out of North Korean threats/action.
This is just a crazy thought and there is no way I believe this would happen its just a what if scenario. What would be the reaction by the US etc if China invaded North Korea and took control?

But lets say that China successfully took control of North Korea incorporating it into the rest of China. What would the international response be?

This is totally hypothetical before anyone says this will never happen, I know it won't.

It is entirely possible for it to occur - entirely possible. North Korea is only standing today, mostly because of China.

If China invaded North Korea, what right does the international community have to say anything against it? In fact, China could invade any other weaker country for all I care - the rest of the world doesn't have a right to say anything against that either, as the United States has invaded many countries due to "terror" and "WMDs".

What if China says "North Korea has WMDs, therefore we are invading them" - I would completely scoff at the United States were they to say that China should "exercise restraint" and "act sensibly". They would be hypocrites if they said that!

Even if China invaded and incorporated North Korea into China (which is entirely possible and actually most probable), nobody would do anything. Even if the United States is a bit miffed that China got there first, nothing would be done. China isn't a little state - it is a massive emerging superpower.
Original post by Aj12

I was thinking that too, there must be a reason for this as in the past they have often made a massive thing out of North Korean threats/action.

Actually, no. They're currently warped by the "Boy who cried wolf" mentality - this is actually a bad thing, as they're not taking North Korea seriously, when this is the time to be most alert as the situation has escalated massively within the last few days.

They might be calm due to the fact that they're secured in the knowledge that whilst North Korea might carry out its threats, they have the full weight of America's support behind them. They know that even if NK fires a nuke or something at them, America (or their own tech) will shoot it down immediately (I think) and then some sort of massive retaliation, like a full-scale invasion will take place.

Having said that, what I want to know is why China hasn't already invaded NK and set up a puppet gov - China must know (and surely be clever to realise) that were SK and the United States to invade, they would set up a "democratic" government which would be pro-US or reunify both Koreas into one Korea.*

*That Korea by the way would be a massively successful state. South Korea is already the 12th largest economy in the world. A unified Korea would be a behemoth in the world and would be right next door to China and would, were the United States to invade NK, be pro-US. But of course, the barrier of the brainwashed minds would have to be passed first...
Nothing to do with North Korea, but still:

6.2 magnitude earthquake shakes Russia's far east, close to China and North Korea

An earthquake of 6.2 magnitude was registered in the border area between Russia, China and North Korea, the US Geological Survey said Friday.

The epicenter of the quake was 9km from the Russian village of Zarubino, about 60km northeast of the North Korean city of Aodzhiri and approximately 608 km from the capital Pyongyang. No casualties or damage have been reported.

The earthquake struck at a depth of 561.9 km.

USGS - Earthquakes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 288
This could all just be a clever way to negotiate with US. If Kim acts crazy enough he'll have USA wrapped round his little finger.
Which also means he'd be classed as God to his people. He's probably not as dumb as some people think he is.
North Korea says safety of UK diplomats 'not guaranteed'

North Korea had warned British diplomats that it cannot guarantee their safety after 10 April in the event of conflict, the Foreign Office has said.

The latest move comes amid spiralling tensions in the Korean peninsula.

The Foreign Office said it was "considering next steps" after the North Korean regime asked if Britain was considering evacuating its embassy.

On Thursday, David Cameron said he was "very concerned" about North Korea.

The UK prime minster cited the nuclear threat posed by the regime led by Kim Jong-un as one of the reasons he was committed to maintaining a round-the-clock submarine-based nuclear missile system.

Reply 290
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Not sure if this is anything to do with North Korea....(but may just be natural and coincidental):
It's still quite far from North Korea, so I doubt it's actually got anything to do with them...

"The earthquake struck at a depth of 561.9 km."
And you're only "not sure" it has nothing to do with North Korea?!

The deepest mine in the world is 'only' 3.9km deep.

Can't wait for your next piece of penetrating reporting :rolleyes:
Original post by JB20
This could all just be a clever way to negotiate with US. If Kim acts crazy enough he'll have USA wrapped round his little finger.
Which also means he'd be classed as God to his people. He's probably not as dumb as some people think he is.

But maybe, just maybe, the United States has now become fed up and this situation could be sorted in a jiffy with an invasion - although that 1.1million-man army is not something to just quickly walk over...
Original post by Drewski
"The earthquake struck at a depth of 561.9 km."
And you're only "not sure" it has nothing to do with North Korea?!

The deepest mine in the world is 'only' 3.9km deep.

Can't wait for your next piece of penetrating reporting :rolleyes:

Hey, shut it :tongue: :biggrin:

RT was being hyperbolic and sensationalist by mentioning that it was near China and North Korea - I merely got caught up in the sensationalism. :biggrin:
Elizabeth Windsor Tweeted yesterday:

"North Korea has blocked one on Twitter. This is the very final straw". #RAF

Anyone know if this is the real Queen on Twitter. I have not heard any news agencies reporting the RAF flying over to the peninsular - and seems a very pernickety reason to go to war. Very unlike HM.
Reply 294
Hey, shut it :tongue: :biggrin:

RT was being hyperbolic and sensationalist by mentioning that it was near China and North Korea - I merely got caught up in the sensationalism. :biggrin:

No, it was being geographically descriptive. You're the one who's taken 2+2 and turned it into 'bottle'.

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Anyone know if this is the real Queen on Twitter. I have not heard any news agencies reporting the RAF flying over to the peninsular - and seems a very pernickety reason to go to war. Very unlike HM.

It's not The Queen. Not sure if there is an official HM twitter, but it's not that one. And the RAF hasn't been deployed to the Korean peninsular but there is an exercise in Malaysia that RAF aircraft have deployed to.
North Korea's threats of war make Chinese neighbours nervous

Over the border from North Korea, residents of mountainous Kuandian county fear effects of conflict could spill over

Every time North Korea threatens a nuclear strike, Ge Weihan receives a frantic call from his mother. Although the 34-year-old filmmaker moved to Beijing years ago, his parents still live in a small Chinese village less than 25 miles (40km) from the insular nation.

"If a war ever actually breaks out, I'm very nervous about what it would do to my hometown," Ge said. "It's hard living right next to a country that seems willing to do anything."

Residents of Ge's home village in mountainous Kuandian county have become accustomed to an influx of Chinese troops every time tensions flare on the Korean peninsula just in case things spin out of control. Yet this time the soldiers are so numerous, and media reports so shrill, that even the most hardened villagers are nervous.

It's no accident that China is the North Korea's most important ally, economic lifeline and primary source of humanitarian aid a political meltdown in the country could send an unsustainable flood of refugeesinto border areas such as Kuandian and push a US-friendly unified Korea right up to China's doorstep.

Yet the vast majority of Chinese people consider North Korea just as strange and frightening as western observers. "It's just awkward," said Ge, who has lived among North Korean refugees. "It's an extremely awkward situation for the government, and that makes common people feel awkward as well."

Beijing rarely deviates in its response to North Korean tempers. Officials express concern or "serious concern" as of Wednesday and request that the international community "remain calm" and "exercise restraint".

Original post by Drewski
No, it was being geographically descriptive. You're the one who's taken 2+2 and turned it into 'bottle'.

Not really. The Earthquake was much closer to the Sea of Japan than either North Korea or China. It deliberately mentioned China and North Korea in light of the current events...
Reply 297
And just to lighten the mood....

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

I highly doubt the Queen would comment on the North Korean situation, much like she wouldn't comment on the issue of benefits in Britain - she's rarely political and rightly so.
But maybe, just maybe, the United States has now become fed up and this situation could be sorted in a jiffy with an invasion - although that 1.1million-man army is not something to just quickly walk over...

No but you could fly over and bomb it pretty easily.

Regarding China - yes its an emerging super power but isnt pretty much all of its wealth situated in two maybe three cities whilst the rest of it still mostly very much second and third world stylings made up of farmers living off the land? Its not like the US which has massive industrial and business models all over the country. And i dont feel that China is going to throw in with a little fat man having an ego tantrum and risk itsself against the likes of the US?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending