The Student Room Group

HELP - Venn Diagrams

Not overly sure on this so thought I'd ask here to see if someone could give me some guidance.
------------------------

For any two non-empty sets A and B drawn from the same universe, U,
let Z be the set defined as
Z = (A AND ~B) OR (~A AND B)

Note that Z is the symmetric difference of A and B.

Through the use of Venn diagrams show the following:

(i) Z could equal ( 'O' with a '/' through it, also shown as {})

(ii) Z could never equal B

(iii) Z can equal U

(12 marks)

---------------

The first thing I've done for this question is worked out what Z looks like in Venn Diagram form

h0Cp4xd.png

I then guessed that the answer to part (i) is

nxaToMW.png

But I'm not sure of this because it's looking for where 'Z could equal an empty set' and I'm not sure if this is the area which is outside of the 2 venn diagrams.

The second part I'm guessing is this shaded area.

RFDHHVn.png

However when I look back what Z is I'm a bit confused as to whether or not I'm doing this question correctly.

Perhaps I just don't understand the question but it would be helpful if someone could give me some advice with this question.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mos182

Perhaps I just don't understand the question but it would be helpful if someone could give me some advice with this question.

You're not being asked to draw the standard Venn diagram for two sets each time.

You're being asked to choose an appropriate A and B, such that Z matches the criteria above. You need to choose how A and B related to each other.

As examples, one set could be the universal set, or they might not "overlap", etc.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
You're not being asked to draw the standard Venn diagram for two sets each time.

You're being asked to choose an appropriate A and B, such that Z matches the criteria above. You need to choose how A and B related to each other.

As examples, one set could be the universal set, or they might not "overlap", etc.

Yes I know but they ask you to show the answers using a Venn diagram and since there's only A and B it's easiest just to show it using the standard Venn Diagram.

The question doesn't make sense to me. I've never experienced a question like this before. They give me a equation as to what Z is then expect me to illustrate what Z is on a Venn Diagram with these questions.
Original post by mos182
Yes I know but they ask you to show the answers using a Venn diagram and since there's only A and B it's easiest just to show it using the standard Venn Diagram.

The question doesn't make sense to me. I've never experienced a question like this before. They give me a equation as to what Z is then expect me to illustrate what Z is on a Venn Diagram with these questions.

Yes, I see your point. If we consider a Venn diagram to contain all possible combinations of A,B then trying to demonstrate the various criteria, doesn't make sense.

Only if we relax the restriction of showing all possible combinations, and use Venn-like diagrams is it feasible, IMHO.

Perhaps someone else may have a useful comment, or check back with your lecturer, are the only things I can suggest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes, I see your point. If we consider a Venn diagram to contain all possible combinations of A,B then trying to demonstrate the various criteria, doesn't make sense.

Only if we relax the restriction of showing all possible combinations, and use Venn-like diagrams is it feasible, IMHO.

Perhaps someone else may have a useful comment, or check back with your lecturer, are the only things I can suggest.

I can't ask the lecturer because I'm not back until Monday at Uni. Currently off for Easter and he's left us with an assignment. We've got a Facebook group and I don't think anyone on there knows how to do it.

I originally thought the question was asking me basically this.

(ii) Z could never equal B

So basically this means

(A AND ~B) OR (~A AND B) =/= B

Which makes me think that I just show only A shaded. Like this.

RFDHHVn.png

Or perhaps show it as A shaded in and A and B not over lapping if that makes sense?

Something else which confuses me is the statement below.

'For any two non-empty sets A and B drawn from the same universe, U'

I'm guessing this means basically everything which isn't A or B is the universe U?

Another thing that doesn't make sense is how could Z equal an empty set?
Original post by mos182

In each case you want to show Z.

So, yes for ii), I'd do two non-overlapping circles. In that situation, Z cannot equal B, as it contains A as well.

'For any two non-empty sets A and B drawn from the same universe, U'

I'm guessing this means basically everything which isn't A or B is the universe U?

The universe will include A, and B. This is your outside oblong in the Venn diagram.
Reply 6
In each case you want to show Z.

So, yes for ii), I'd do two non-overlapping circles. In that situation, Z cannot equal B, as it contains A as well.

The universe will include A, and B. This is your outside oblong in the Venn diagram.

That's what I thought.

So for each case, you just label whatever part you think is Z.

I'm not sure what is the answer for (i), it's really confused me. How can you show that Z is an empty set? Unless you just show that there is no A or B and it's just the universe U?
Original post by mos182
That's what I thought.

Agreed.
See below. Post #12

I'm not sure what is the answer for (i), it's really confused me. How can you show that Z is an empty set? Unless you just show that there is no A or B and it's just the universe U?

Well you're told that A,B are non-empty, so you'll need a different solution.

Hint: If you break down Z into its two main components, what has to be true for each of them to be the empty set?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Agreed.

Well you're told that A,B are non-empty, so you'll need a different solution.

Hint: If you break down Z into its two main components, what has to be true for each of them to be the empty set?

So both A and B are true instead of only 1 of them being true?
Original post by mos182
So both A and B are true instead of only 1 of them being true?

A and B are sets, they're not "true". It's the relationship between them that has to exist for A\B to be the empty set. And similarly the other way around.
Original post by mos182

Although I previously agreed with this, I didn't pay close enough attention.

You don't need to label Z, in fact you can't neessarily. You just need to set up A and B, such that Z will satisfy the given criteria.
Reply 11
A and B are sets, they're not "true". It's the relationship between them that has to exist for A\B to be the empty set. And similarly the other way around.

What if one of them was missing? Would it be an empty set? Or if it was B and C?

Really puzzled by this :s-smilie:
Original post by mos182
What if one of them was missing? Would it be an empty set? Or if it was B and C?

Really puzzled by this :s-smilie:

Just consider A and B, neither of which is the empty set, but A\B is the empty set. What does this imply?
Reply 13
Just consider A and B, neither of which is the empty set, but A\B is the empty set. What does this imply?

what does '\' mean?
Original post by mos182
what does '\' mean?

If means the set of elements that are in the first set (A) and not in the second set (B).

It's the standard notation for the set-theoretic difference.

I assumed you were aware of it, as that's what you're working with. But clearly you've not yet covered it.
Reply 15
Not yet, not sure if we cover that. We've got a lack of examples which is frustrating.

It doesn't tell you the set of elements that are in either sets? :confused:
Original post by mos182
Not yet, not sure if we cover that. We've got a lack of examples which is frustrating.

It doesn't tell you the set of elements that are in either sets? :confused:

You don't need to know.

A\B consists of the elements that are in A and not in B. But we want this to be the empty set.

So, there are no elements satisfying being "in A and not in B".

This tells you something about the relationship between the sets A and B.

Not sure how else to phrase it without just telling you, which I'll do as a spoiler in the next post. But if would be better if you can discover it yourself.
Reply 17

So, there are no elements satisfying being "in A and not in B".

Ah A is a subset of B?
Original post by mos182
Ah A is a subset of B?

Bingo!!!!

So from the first part of the definition of Z you've worked out A is a subset of B.

Now what about the second part?
Reply 19
Bingo!!!!

So from the first part of the definition of Z you've worked out A is a subset of B.

Now what about the second part?

Finally I'm getting something right :biggrin:

B is a subset of A? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest